Do airosal cans explode in checked luggage?

bettycrocker

I've always heard not to bring airosale hairspray - and never have. But was kind of curious why? Does the compression make them explode?

DH favorite deoderant is in a spray can. Also, was wondering about shaving cream in a can. Is that safe?

PS I know they have to be in my checked luggage.

I have heard that if you bring an aerosol can in checked luggage, you should at least make sure it has been used a bit. In other words, let out some of the pressure that's in the can, to leave room for expanding air. So, if you bring along a half empty can of whatever, it should be fine. I don't know how true all that is, but it's what I've heard.

As long and the cargo hold is pressurized, you will have no problem. In some small commuter prop planes, where the cargo hold is not pressurized, the pressurized cans go pop.

Unfortunately I had a can of aerosol hairspray explode in my suitcase which caused a black top to bleed all over all the clothes near to it. I learned my lesson and will never again take aerosol hairspray again. I don't think that it was a full can. Besides there are all sorts of good, non-aerosol hairsprays around

I have flown alot and always carry a can of underarm Aerosol spray and have never had a problem. My wife also works for a airline and has never had a passenger make a claim for that. Also she ask the others she works with and no one has ever heard of that being a problem. The one person on here that had a problem might of had there baggage mishandled or had a bad can.

I have flown alot and always carry a can of underarm Aerosol spray and have never had a problem. My wife also works for a airline and has never had a passenger make a claim for that. Also she ask the others she works with and no one has ever heard of that being a problem. The one person on here that had a problem might of had there baggage mishandled or had a bad can.

Thank you. My DH will be happy that he doesn't have to bring different deoderant. I too always put shampoo, contact solution, etc. in plastic bags, but have never carried anything in an aerosol can. I rarely use hairspray and always heard you should carry it in a non-aerosol container.

Archived