Aft (VA) cabin on Oosterdam question

oh2gocruisin

First off, I'm relatively new here as DH and I took our first cruise on HAL earlier this year. We sailed the eastern med on the beautiful Noordam and had the time of our lives. Since we got back all we can think about is where we're going next. I have learned so much from reading the posts here and appreciate the knowledge everyone is so willing to share. We've decided to go to Alaska (inside passage from Seattle) for our next cruise. We have a 24 hr. hold on an aft (VA) cabin on the navigation deck of the Oosterdam. On the Noordam we had a starboard side balcony on the navitgation deck and really liked being that high. My concern about the aft balconies is privacy and noise from the lido pool deck. I would really appreciate any suggestions or insight on this. Thanks.

Kathy

Kathy:

I've had a Navigation deck aft on the O'dam & on the Noordam. Privacy will not be an issue. On the O'dam the cover (Lido Deck) is completely to your balcony railing. However, with the greater angle on the O'dam, you are more visible to those below you, when at the railing. The Noordam overhang isn't as deep, about 2-3 feet back from your railing, so those on the Lido above "can" look down to the back part of your balcony. There is less view from below there, because of the lesser angle (as opposed to the O'dam).

I noticed a little noise in the early mornings several days from the Lido on both vessels, but it didn't really bother me. The balconies, to me, were far more comfortable, and worth what little chair scraping I heard!

I have another Navigation aft cabin booked on the Westerdam in late Oct., and expect it to mirror the O'dam. (A distinct pattern forming here!) :D

Hope this helps!

Paul

Archived