boston--hot-air ballon event on 9/10??

musicmansmom

in my boston visitors brochure i received it says there is going to be hot-air ballon rides going on i think at the boston common on sunday the 10th of sept. i would love to do this. can someone tell me how i would get to the location and if it is even anywhere near the dock. this is one more thing in boston i would love to do. any help will be a great help. thanks

Hi musicmansmom;

I think I found the information you were looking for. I hope this helps.

Hot Air Balloon Ride Returns To Boston Common

8/10/2006 - Released by Parks and Recreation For more information contact Parks Department

Residents and visitors will get another opportunity to enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime bird’s-eye view of the city as AeroBalloon USA once again teams up with the Boston Parks and Recreation Department to present “Boston by Balloon,” a giant tethered helium balloon ride being offered on Boston Common beginning August 17.

“We are pleased to welcome this unique and environmentally-friendly attraction back to Boston Common,” Boston Parks Commissioner Antonia M. Pollak stated. “The AeroBalloon was a popular attraction last year that gave Boston’s residents and visitors a bird’s-eye view of the city while helping to support our programs offered through the Fund for Parks and Recreation.”

The balloon will be tethered on the Boston Common Parade Ground from August 17 to September 10. All AeroBalloon passengers will be under the supervision of a certified AeroBalloon pilot.

The AeroBalloon will fly daily, weather permitting, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. and then resume from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. After sunset, the AeroBalloon is illuminated from the inside becoming a soft glow in the night sky. Overnight, or during poor weather conditions, the balloon is safely moored to the ground via multiple outer mooring lines. Reservations will be offered this year each day during the 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. time slot at www.aeroballoon.com.

Tickets for ages 13 and older are $15 per ride. Adults may bring up to two children age 12 and under for free. An adult must accompany the children to take advantage of this offer. This year, Aeroballoon is offering a hotline at (617) 226-3860 that will feature daily updates and weather conditions.

An evolution of the helium balloons that flew non-stop around the world at altitudes of up to 40,000 feet, the AeroBalloon will offer a unique fifteen-minute adventure. Each flight rises above the city with up to five people in its wicker gondola to a breathtaking 360-degree panoramic altitude of 350 feet above the ground. The balloon never leaves its tether cable and is retrieved back to earth via its winch, located at ground level. Variations of this tethered balloon ride have flown since 1996 in European parks in cities such as Paris, Rome, and Vienna.

The founder of Boston-based AeroBalloon USA, Douglas Hase, believes the AeroBalloon experience brings an extraordinary new attraction to the city, for both locals and visitors. Hase also noted that the first aerial photograph ever taken in the United States was from a balloon tethered on Boston Common in 1860.

“We look forward to welcoming Bostonians of all ages as well as visitors from out of town,” Hase said. “The AeroBalloon allows people to see the city from an entirely new perspective and provides an unforgettable trip above Boston’s trees and rooftops.” The balloon, simple and majestic in its appearance, is highly engineered. It is comprised of an outer skin, an internal ballonet, and a fan. Simply defined, it is a sphere-shaped blimp. Its outer fabric is identical to the skin of the blimp seen flying over sporting events. The ballonet is a zero-porosity internal membrane filled with the inert gas helium. The ballonet dynamically expands and contracts with changes in altitude, barometric pressure, and/or temperature. The fan regulates this internally displaced air so that the balloon maintains its shape. The AeroBalloon is completely silent, non-polluting, and appeals to adventurers of all ages. For more information, visit www.aeroballoon.com or call the Boston Parks and Recreation Department at (617) 635-4505.

Happy Sailings!:)

Archived