Sydney is getting ready for the 2 Queens

Kiwi Kruzer

A harbour cruise to welcome the 2 Queens to Sydney next Feb sold out by lunchtime after being released by a local agent on the net.

MV Captain Cooks Explorer has been chatered and will take 100 passengers, at $AU 499 each,on a 2 night cruise to celebrate the arrival and departure of Queen Mary 2, and the arrivals of QE2 and Silver Cloud.

Having proved so popular,I think a few more cruises may also be organised.

A harbour cruise to welcome the 2 Queens to Sydney next Feb sold out by lunchtime after being released by a local agent on the net.

MV Captain Cooks Explorer has been chatered and will take 100 passengers, at $AU 499 each,on a 2 night cruise to celebrate the arrival and departure of Queen Mary 2, and the arrivals of QE2 and Silver Cloud.

Having proved so popular,I think a few more cruises may also be organised.

Thanks for the info, KiwiKruzer. I checked out the Captain Cook website just about a week or so ago and at the time found conflicting information. They had QE2 and Queen Mary 2 entering Sydney at the same time (7:00 am) whereas Cunard have the QM2 first arriving at 7:00 am and the QE2 arriving later at 9:00 pm. The Circular Quay schedule has QE2 listed at 7:00 am. Let me know if you have access to the definite plan. I will be on the QE2 full world cruise.

Thanks & Cheers,

Bobby

There was a recent article in a cruising magazine I saw recently, quoting a Cunard rep as stating that the event will almost exactly recreate the original meeting over sixty years ago.

Apparently, during WW2, the Cunard Queens (as troop ships) passed each other in Sydney Harbour just inside the Heads. As it was wartime only one photo of the event has been found due to the fact that ship movements were secret. (the photo was published in the article).

So back to 2007.............. QM2 is scheduled into the dock at Garden Island Naval Dockyard at 0600hrs Tue 20 Feb............... until 2300hrs that night. (the early arrival will also ensure a prime spot on breakfast TV)

QEII is scheduled to berth at the Passenger terminal at Circular Quay at 2100hrs Tue 20 Feb. HOWEVER......... it will be in the harbour some hours earlier and the two ships will be near each other during the fireworks show that is being organised.

Obviously it will be a major PR opportunity for Cunard so you can expect the arrangements to suit the needs of the media............. with the sunset not until 1942hrs there will be plenty of time for daylight photos before the nightime spectacle.

After this second meeting in over 60 years, ................... the really strange part is it will be repeated in 2008 with the Queen Victoria and the QEII............. perhaps the last time QEII will be in Australia???? Who knows.

Anyway, in 2007, I will be on board the QM2 for both the arrival and departure from Sydney....... travelling San Francisco - Southampton............. so I'm not going to miss any of the show!

QEII is scheduled to berth at the Passenger terminal at Circular Quay at 2100hrs Tue 20 Feb. HOWEVER......... it will be in the harbour some hours earlier and the two ships will be near each other during the fireworks show that is being organised.

Emu, do you know if the Queen Mary will leave her berth and position herself near QE2 for the fireworks as was done in New York at the beginning of the tandem crossing? Having one ship in the harbor and the other berthed would seem to lessen the drama of the spectacle. I will be on QE2 New York to New York and will wave to you!

Enjoy your cruise!

Bobby

PS... Having been reading about the Australia ports we will be visiting and can't wait for Sydney and Melbourne.

The Queen Victoria is scheduled to arrive in Sydney on Saturday Feb.23rd at 7AM, and depart on Sunday Feb. 24th at 6PM. The QE2 will arrive in Sydney on Sunday Feb. 24th at 7AM, and depart on Monday Feb. 25th at 6PM.

Sunday Feb. 24, 2008 should be an exciting one in Sydney.

Really don't know about the QM2 leaving her berth early. QM2 is scheduled to embark pax in Sydney so unless the embarkation times are suitable I would imagine 2300 is departure from the wharf.

I guess we will all have to wait and see exactly how the program is developed. Just hope that the day is fine and there are none of the summer evening thunderstorms to throw a "spanner" in the works!

I'm one of those pax who will be embarking in Sydney - can't wait! :) We are doing Sydney - Dubai. Hey Emu, nice to see a fellow aussie joining us (I'm sure there will be plenty coming on board in Sydney) we have a small roll call over on the roll call boards, you should join us :)

Cheers

Timtammi

Apparently, there are more than just a few aussies on board............ at least some of the time anyway.

The SFO - SYD leg is popular as well, as my TA told me the flights Cunard is using as part of the package deals are booked out already (They are using Air NZ to SFO)

Anyway this voyage will make our QM2 total of days up to 83 and complete our circumnavigation of the world.

Previously we have done QM2 Southampton - NY, LA - NY via the Horn last year, and this SFO - Southampton will fill in the gap.

As we are only in our late 30's............. the Captain Warner jokingly told us we were too young for the ship!!!! But the people are always great and we have met some excellent new friends from all over the world......... in fact I think the average age on board is actually decreasing.

It will be a great voyage. Cya on board :)

Roll on 5 Feb 2007!!!!

Apparently, there are more than just a few aussies on board............ at least some of the time anyway.

The SFO - SYD leg is popular as well, as my TA told me the flights Cunard is using as part of the package deals are booked out already (They are using Air NZ to SFO)

We thought about doing SFO-SYD (that was my suggestion) but hubby preferred the Sydney-Dubai itinerary so I'm not complaining as its longer! We organised our own return flights, managed to get them with the QF FF points so we did well.

We are in our 30s (well one of us is and the other is in their early 40s) so I guess that makes us too young as well :) Looks like we are helping bring the average age down. We are actually travelling with our 2 1/2 year old daughter as well, so she is well and truly too young! LOL

As you say, roll on Feb next year!!

Cheers

Timtammi

Archived