Geocaching in BC

Geocacher5

Would you be interested in a Geocaching cruise?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a Geocaching cruise?

I am going to take a 4 day cruise on the Celebrity Mercury in the fall of 07 to Vancouver island and plan to do some geocaching there. I would like to invite any fellow geocachers or noncachers to join me. If we can get enough together maybe we could have a muder mystery lunch on the sea one day.

My name is George, Geo for short, I'm so sick of this Geo catching craze, I've been knocked down, tackled, some people try to push me into a car and kidnap me, you people need to get a life!

What is Geocaching? Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

More info on geocaching at: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

Gitte

What is Geocaching? Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

More info on geocaching at: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

Gitte

Thanks Gitte! That sounds like a lot of fun, and a great new way to explore cruise ports.

Geocatcher5, you may want to post your invitation on the Roll Call thread for your cruise. Here is a link to the Mercury Roll Calls:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=284

Susan

My name is George, Geo for short, I'm so sick of this Geo catching craze, I've been knocked down, tackled, some people try to push me into a car and kidnap me, you people need to get a life!

Poor guy, there is no reason for such foolishness.

Anyway, I thought they were trying to catch all the Chevrolet GEO cars before they became extinct, especially the Prism's.

We will be doing a 7 day from San Francisco to Vancouver (also stopping in Victoria) in the spring of 2007. If you remind me, I'll let you know if we come across any interesting caches or wonderful, out-of-the-way spots (as is often the case) so you can check them out on your cruise in the Fall.

Happy cruising and happy geocaching!

:cool:

• 6 months later...
I am going to take a 4 day cruise on the Celebrity Mercury in the fall of 07 to Vancouver island and plan to do some geocaching there. I would like to invite any fellow geocachers or noncachers to join me. If we can get enough together maybe we could have a muder mystery lunch on the sea one day.

Geocacher5, have you already signed up for the cruise. If so, which one? I was looking at the 4-day roundtrips out of Seattle in the fall 2007 just the other day. Are you on one of those? We (my wife and I) always do geocaching on our cruises now--even down the Mexican Riviera on the Mercury in March 2006. And I am already gathering the geocaching information for our cruise later this month on the Mercury (March 18, 2007)--again to the Mexican Riviera. We would love to join other cruisers on geo-treks. Also, we enjoy murder mystery parties as well; having one on a cruise would be great. I hope some momentum builds for this, but it would help to know which cruise(s) you are on--or are considering. TFT thread!

I am thinking of getting a GPS before our cruise next September in the Eastern Mediterranean.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on what I will need in a GPS.

Also, recommendatinos for good maps of the area (either digital or paper)

Thanks

Archived