Why would you NOT want to use a PVP??

RjayB

With my TA, I'm a known valuable REPEAT customer.

Dan

I'm sure you meant well by what you said but for those of us that value going direct and our relationships with our PVP's we too are known VALUABLE REPEAT customers, as well. :D

What I meant is that I'm a known repeat customer no matter what cruiseline I'm asking about. With a PVP I certainly cannot ask about even Princess or HAL even tho CCL owns them. Next cruise [after my upcoming Princess cruise} my family and some others want to go on RCL. Even if I had a GREAT PVP, what good would he/she do me with RCL. Whereas with my TA, the next cruise will put me over 60 ++ bookings with her. I think she thinks that counts for something. If I dealt with a Carnival PVP I would have only 12 cruises that he/she knew about instead of 47 myself, plus many, many that I have booked for family and friends thru the same TA.

Also, ANY price a PVP quotes is available to TA's as well. AND the TA can have an incentive plan that allows them to sell for less, and they can take a short commission. These are things a PVP can't do. PVP incentive plans are for them to advance within the Company, they are NOT pricing incentives they can pass on to us.

Dan

Absolutely. The really big item you listed is "be there if something happens"... Those who do it themselves can complete the trip with no problems and feel comfortable that all is OK. However, when you run into a problem, many don't even know where to start in fixing it. Nothing like being half-way to wherever and have everything start falling apart...or arriving at a hotel where nobody has ever heard of you..or any number of things that could go wrong. Most folks just start to panic, start yelling at the first person they see with a jacket. They have no idea how to fix it.....This is where those wonderful TA's are champs. If you have booked through a TA, he or she can usually fix the problem momentarily - or knows where to go and who to call to get it fixed.

I read so much on these boards from people who have had problems and rant and rave about it, getting no satisfaction for a perceived or real injustice... Many things they speak of are things that could have been prevented if they had used a TA.

It seems that a lot of people think being their own agent is no big deal. They completely ignore, or are unaware of, the intricacies of the travel industry. They don't read contracts, they don't understand or pay attention to terms and conditions, don't read or pay attention to required documents and many others things that get them into trouble out there. They don't know what their "rights" are or, more importantly, what they are NOT. And - they don't know how to fix it.

A good TA is an invaluable resource. A professional.

AMEN!!!!......read my previous post. Use a PVP--take your chances, and if your only travel, ever, is a Carnival cruise, you might be okay. Are you sure that is all that you will ever do/need??? If you take the time to find a great local travel agent, you will never use anyone else. Remember, they are also there if you have need for other travel, not just a cruise: unexpected out of town death of a relative, last minute opportunity for a trip to "anywhere," hotel needs for a road trip, etc., etc. My wonderful travel agent (sister) just spent many, many hours making sure that one of her clients got home safely after having a stroke in Europe. She talked to the wife, arranged changes for air home, etc., etc. Would a PVP do that?---NOT!!! A good, experienced travel agent that knows you will bend over backwards to help you, no matter what the situation.

Think about it---

Judy

I'm sure you meant well by what you said but for those of us that value going direct and our relationships with our PVP's we too are known VALUABLE REPEAT customers, as well. :D

What I meant is that I'm a known repeat customer no matter what cruiseline I'm asking about. With a PVP I certainly cannot ask about even Princess or HAL even tho CCL owns them. Next cruise [after my upcoming Princess cruise} my family and some others want to go on RCL. Even if I had a GREAT PVP, what good would he/she do me with RCL. Whereas with my TA, the next cruise will put me over 60 ++ bookings with her. I think she thinks that counts for something. If I dealt with a Carnival PVP I would have only 12 cruises that he/she knew about instead of 47 myself, plus many, many that I have booked for family and friends thru the same TA.

Also, ANY price a PVP quotes is available to TA's as well. AND the TA can have an incentive plan that allows them to sell for less, and they can take a short commission. These are things a PVP can't do. PVP incentive plans are for them to advance within the Company, they are NOT pricing incentives they can pass on to us.

Dan

I agree with you Dan.

Folks who are experienced travelers, who travel a lot and have done so for many years usually feel very comfortable doing it on their own. I am one of those. I prefer to be in control of my own travel, know what I need, know what to do if I run into a problem. Not that I am so dam superior but I spent 32 years in the travel industry as agent, owner, tour manager. I

know who to call to get things fixed, if need be.

I think, though, that many people who are casual travelers should try to use a local TA if there are any good ones around. That TA can make miracles happen sometimes. The problem is to find a good one - but there are a lot of good ones out there. A little research will help. You seem to have found a good one.

In lieu of a TA, a PVP could be the next best resource. Again, though, some PVP's aren't all that helpful once the booking is made. I know there are some terrific ones out there - the trick is to find him/her.

I have been reading the posts and realize I did not get a good price on my first cruise, which I have yet to take. I will most likely plan more cruises since I live in Florida and I'm thinking PVP sounds good because I don't book airfare. How do you guys develop relationships with your PVP and will they give you a good price from your first purchase with them or do they save the good discounts for past clients?

Thought I'd better add this. In addition to nearly 4 dozen cruises, my working career caused me to fly over 2000 times, all over the world. And I might have 5000 hotel nites under my belt. So I think that qualifies as an experienced traveler. And as such, I know that there is nothing a PVP could do for me that a good TA can't do.

That said,

For the inexperienced traveler talking only about Carnival cruises, a good PVP might be easier to find than a good TA. Especially an online TA. So, lacking a good TA, a PVP is probably a good choice.

Dan

Ok..is this true?? They give you OBC if the price goes down?? Huh? Where is the profit if they do this? OR, do cruises rarley go down and this is insentive to book early??

I am a first time cruiser...so I am confused! :D

I am looking at a cruise that goes in October (only 4 nights) and the price really seems reasonable now--I doubt it is going to go down but if it does would you guys advise me to contact my TA and ask for a discount?? :confused:

Boo

Mr Lee,

Sorry to change the subject, but I too sailed on the Triumph Dec.2-10-05. Did you go to karaoke at all? If you did, then you have seen(heard) me. As for the question of TA vs PVP, I have used a TA for 2 cruises, but am now using a PVP. So far, I am satisfied with both. I am also studying to become a TA, so I will keep all these things in mind so as to get and keep customers when I begin this career. I agree you have to do what works best for you. I used a TA because it was easier for me and I didn't have to do the "legwork" of the booking. No matter what route you choose the important thing is to enjoy the end result- the cruise!!!!!!!

It is this post that I am referring to......

"Yes, that could be the reason. What you have to understand is that if a TA reduces their commission to give you a lower price, the cruise line has no knowledge of that. The bad part of that is if your travel agency happens to go out of business before you cruise and your booking gets assinged to another TA or the cruise line itself, you are on the hook for the full price, not the reduced price the former TA quoted you."

If your cruise REALLY cost $1000 and your TA rebated all their commission to give you a price of $800 and they go belly up BEFORE you make final payment, that cruise is going to cost you $1000 not $800.

If a travel agent rebates commission of 20% he will go belly up! That is much more than most agents make on a cruise. I know you are using that as an example - but many people think agents make much more money than they do per cruise

If a travel agent rebates commission of 20% he will go belly up! That is much more than most agents make on a cruise. I know you are using that as an example - but many people think agents make much more money than they do per cruise

Huge travel agencies who sell a lot of a particular brand of cruise can earn upwards of 18% commission. Then, if they belong to a consortium, they qualify for overrides. Yes, the figure I used was hypothetical but not too far off. You are right, many people think we make more than we do. There are so many more travel agencies make 10 - 12% of your cruise fare (we make nothing on port chares, taxes, etc.) than those that make the highest commission. I personally know of one large internet agency that had rebated their entire commission on practically every sale. How do they make money? They sell extras such as insurance. They also sell off free cabins that they have earned from booking group space which they did do lots of.

Ok..is this true?? They give you OBC if the price goes down?? Huh? Where is the profit if they do this? OR, do cruises rarley go down and this is insentive to book early??

I am a first time cruiser...so I am confused! :D

I am looking at a cruise that goes in October (only 4 nights) and the price really seems reasonable now--I doubt it is going to go down but if it does would you guys advise me to contact my TA and ask for a discount?? :confused:

Boo

Yes ! Just keep checking to see if it goes down in price.

Archived