Why would you NOT want to use a PVP??

RjayB

I'm very curious about this.

Back in the "olden" days, it is said that the cruise lines sold their cruises directly for the brochure price...but if you used a TA you could get all sorts of discounts due to incentives offered to the TA's by the cruise lines.

Now these days with internet travel sites and instant information, the cruise lines have wised up and now offer the best deals directly to the public. So where does the traditional TA fit into all of this? They still get a commission from the cruise lines, but how long can this system be supported when a PVP can offer the exact same deal with no middleman?

My PVP is absolutely awesome. Recently I saw a price drop in our cruise after we had paid in full. I emailed my PVP and she not only gave me back the difference in an OBC, but she added $100 just because I caught it before she did!:D

How can (and why would) a TA match that? Nothing against TA's at all, just wondering how they can keep up. If my booking was through a traditional TA, they may at best have been able to get the OBC, but they would have to pay their commission back to the cruise lines (i think??)! They certainly wouldn't give me another $100 out of their own pockets just because I did their job for them...

So why not use a PVP? And I suppose the other side of this is how long can traditional TA's afford to stay in business?:confused:

Traditional TA's will be around for a long time. We are advocates for our customers, and PVP's are advocates for the cruiseline. Once someone has a problem, and realizes the PVP is on the side of the cruiseline, they realize where a good agent can be of great help. In addition, the PVP's are undergoing quite a bit of turnover. There are excellent PVP's as there are excellent TA's, but TA's are much better trained to answer questions on all cruiselines, not just one. The cruiselines do not have the manpower nor do they want it, to handle every reservations and every question.

There is plenty of room for both TA's and PVP's in this world. As a TA I sold over $130,000 of cruises in July and August is just as strong. What we probably will see is the "not so good" TA's will disappear and PVP's and good TA's will remain. Some people like feeling as they have total control over their booking and will book direct through the cruiseline...Many people do not want the hassle nor do they have the time to handle it. Many people really don't know where to start and so they rely on a TA.

As far as I'm concerned competition makes the world go round..keeps everyone on their toes!

I guess some people also appreciate that a TA is accountable to them, and thus (theoretically) will be motivated to provide a high level of service in order to ensure repeat business and referrals. A PVP has no such incentive.

I am new to this... What does PVP stand for? We have booked our 2nd cruise w/ the same TA (got that one) she has made everything so easy for us. I have checked around & as far as I can see there has not been one internet site that can touch the price we are getting on our Carnival cruise (Victory) this January. I am addicted to cruising so any good info on future bookings would be great.

RjayB would you mind emailing me the name and # of your PVP she sounds great! THanks

Michelle (

Sorry, Michelle. Cruise Critic rules say we cannot post the names of agent or agencies (or PVPs) here. We also aren't allowed to ask for emails about them.

If a host sees this, it will be zapped. Again, sorry.;)

I'm very curious about this.

Back in the "olden" days, it is said that the cruise lines sold their cruises directly for the brochure price...but if you used a TA you could get all sorts of discounts due to incentives offered to the TA's by the cruise lines.

Now these days with internet travel sites and instant information, the cruise lines have wised up and now offer the best deals directly to the public. So where does the traditional TA fit into all of this? They still get a commission from the cruise lines, but how long can this system be supported when a PVP can offer the exact same deal with no middleman?

My PVP is absolutely awesome. Recently I saw a price drop in our cruise after we had paid in full. I emailed my PVP and she not only gave me back the difference in an OBC, but she added $100 just because I caught it before she did!:D

How can (and why would) a TA match that? Nothing against TA's at all, just wondering how they can keep up. If my booking was through a traditional TA, they may at best have been able to get the OBC, but they would have to pay their commission back to the cruise lines (i think??)! They certainly wouldn't give me another $100 out of their own pockets just because I did their job for them...

So why not use a PVP? And I suppose the other side of this is how long can traditional TA's afford to stay in business?:confused:

i totally agree with you. i have used TAs in the past and i shouldn't be the ones doing their job. my PVP is always looking in the system and has lowered my rates before i even knew about it. i will keep him (which has been over 2 years) for as long as i cruise Carnival.

It's cheaper to book through TA's........ if you make an inquiry, though, they make offers significantly below anything the cruise line offers.

While that may be your experience, that's not always the case.

....... A PVP has no such incentive.

Leo, the PVP I've used for my last several cruises has been w/Carnival a long time. In fact, she has just been promoted to corporate office. She has told me about incentives and promotions they can receive by providing good customer service and repeat customers. Her 'incentive' was to go to corporate office, and by her determination, she made it.:)

Personally my DH and I booked through a TA. We did our research. It was $300 dollars less to book through our TA then it was through Carnival. So in our instance it worked out better for us. But I'm sure there are some exceptions. Not to mention you have to trust your TA and find one that is honest and will give you all the discounts and upgrades that are available. So everyone should use whats best for them :)

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I guess this is one of those "your mileage may vary" types of issues. A great TA is much better than a mediocre PVP, and great PVP is much better than a mediocre TA.:)

I didnt know that TA's could still undercut the cruiselines and still make money, but i'm not in the travel business either.

p.s. Michelle I'm afraid Cotton is correct about not sharing TA's or PVP information.:(

Leo, the PVP I've used for my last several cruises has been w/Carnival a long time. In fact, she has just been promoted to corporate office. She has told me about incentives and promotions they can receive by providing good customer service and repeat customers. Her 'incentive' was to go to corporate office, and by her determination, she made it.:)

Oh, some PVPs are terrific, and some TA's are terrible, no doubt about it. I actually prefer using PVPs -- I was just trying to answer the poster's question objectively. Not that PVPs have NO incentive to do a good job, just not the same immediate incentive of needing to keep clients to make sure there's bread on the table. :)

I had a PVP the first cruise...never heard from him again after we booked.

Found my TA for our second cruise and LOVE her. Great personality, ready to handle any of my questions or issues, dug deeper to find us a great rate.

Used her for the upcoming cruise and couldn't be happier. I can call her up or email her and she is right on it.

I'll be sticking with her...the service has been much better. Nothing wrong with the PVP, he just booked us and forgot us basically. No big deal.

....... I was just trying to answer the poster's question objectively. Not that PVPs have NO incentive to do a good job, just not the same immediate incentive of needing to keep clients to make sure there's bread on the table. :)

Understood, friend. My former DIL owns a small agency here on the coast. At times, she has a hard time keeping her doors open.:) (Bless her heart, she's never been able to get me a better deal than my PVP can.)

I had about the opposite experience with a TA. The price dropped so DH called her, She acted like it was a hassle to check on this for him, but finally came back saying we had $96 in OBC. When we got our docs they says we had $80 in OBC. DH called her and she said her commission changed so she took it our of our credit.

I was livid... not only that but we had origianally booked and oceanview gty. a month later (8 months before our cruise) I called and changed to balcony gty. She charged us $150 change fee. This was the third trip DH had used her for but never again.

It's cheaper to book through TA's. They just can't advertise their discounts on their websites. if you make an inquiry, though, they make offers significantly below anything the cruise line offers.

That's my experience. My TA has always matched or beat Carnivals prices. Always get the upgrades and on board credit. Her company has a great relationship with Carnival. They are in contact with each other frequently.

And the best thing about it is, I don't have to do anything!

I guess my siuation is unique. My union owns a travel agency and I get a 5% rebate on any travel with them They've been great about getting me price drops etc, and they always know to ask about a union discount. ;)

I have a related question - I booked through an online "travel agency" (same type we all book our flights through now) because the PVP that sends me e-mails apparently works the same hours I do - tried calling a couple of times, but I just got a message saying she'd call me tomorrow - when I am at work and am unable to take personal calls. Carnival's website was also having problems at the time and I was eager to book the cruise and start planning more. I paid exactly what Carnival advertised. The question I have is could I still be eligible for all of these price drops and OBCs that y'all ask about all the time? I didn't know they existed until I found Cruise Critic...thanks a lot!!

Here is why you use a GOOD travel agent rather than book directly through the cruise line. A PVP cares about getting your booking - but can't do anything for you other than sell you the cruise. A travel agent can get you out of unexpected situations - case in point:

I booked a cruise through a travel agent to the Med. Their were port strikes going on at the time, and when our ship could not dock at the disembarkation port we had to dock at another completely different port. Everyone needed to change their air or make rail arrangements to get to the airport they were originally supposed to have flown out of. I called my agent and went to the pool. 5 minutes later they had changed my air. Anyone - and there were many many people - who booked directly with the cruise line was in an enormous line in front of the information desk trying to get their arrangements made.

We disembarked, went to the airport where we had confirmed air - and saw the same people standing in line still trying to get some air - we were 1/2 way home before many of them even got to the front of the line. The cruise line does nothing for you if you are caught in a situation like this - even if THEY did your air.

Here is why you use a GOOD travel agent rather than book directly through the cruise line. A PVP cares about getting your booking - but can't do anything for you other than sell you the cruise. A travel agent can get you out of unexpected situations - case in point:

<snip>

We disembarked, went to the airport where we had confirmed air - and saw the same people standing in line still trying to get some air - we were 1/2 way home before many of them even got to the front of the line. The cruise line does nothing for you if you are caught in a situation like this - even if THEY did your air.

If you are willing to pay their prices, I guess that is one benefit that you *might* be able to use. I used a TA on first two cruises, and a PVP on my currently booked cruise. Either way, I do the airfare myself online, and that *IS* the way to get the best fare (from my experience anyways...YMMV).

I thought my TA was pretty good until I got a call from my PVP telling me one cabin (of three) that I booked was being reduced by $380 (the other two already had past guest discount applied). This made this cabin nearly identical to the past guest pricing. Go PVP!!!

My second cruise was out of FLL on Oct 24, 2005. If you recall, Oct 24 is *THE* day Wilma blew through FLL(At the time, we thought we'd be on the ship and out to sea before she got there, but NO!). Needless to say, we were stranded there for a couple of days, and our TA was pretty worthless in getting any info about the change of itinerary, ports, etc. Someone in the hotel had used a PVP and was getting the best information (which I was relaying to our TA back in Missouri). As someone else said, "This is a YMMV-type of thing," and I have to agree.

GP

Traditional TA's will be around for a long time. We are advocates for our customers, and PVP's are advocates for the cruiseline. Once someone has a problem, and realizes the PVP is on the side of the cruiseline, they realize where a good agent can be of great help. In addition, the PVP's are undergoing quite a bit of turnover. There are excellent PVP's as there are excellent TA's, but TA's are much better trained to answer questions on all cruiselines, not just one. The cruiselines do not have the manpower nor do they want it, to handle every reservations and every question.

There is plenty of room for both TA's and PVP's in this world. As a TA I sold over $130,000 of cruises in July and August is just as strong. What we probably will see is the "not so good" TA's will disappear and PVP's and good TA's will remain. Some people like feeling as they have total control over their booking and will book direct through the cruiseline...Many people do not want the hassle nor do they have the time to handle it. Many people really don't know where to start and so they rely on a TA.

As far as I'm concerned competition makes the world go round..keeps everyone on their toes!

100% absolutely correct. There are some very, very good TA's out there. They are invaluable in what they are able to do for their clients. If you are not experienced, if you don't understand how the system works, if you are not completely sure you know what you are doing and can handle any problems yourself, then you should find a good TA. They are a wealth of information, are kept updated on the latest "security advisories", immigration information, ship information, itinerary changes. Keep in mind that while a lot of people book on line today, MOST cruise bookings are made through TA's. The good ones know what they are doing. There is always a need for good ones. The wheat is being slowly separated from the chaff and what will remain will be the cream of the crop.

You should do some research when looking for an agent. Think of it this way; you are preparing to hand that agent several thousands of dollars...you need to make sure he/she knows what they are doing.

I guess some people also appreciate that a TA is accountable to them, and thus (theoretically) will be motivated to provide a high level of service in order to ensure repeat business and referrals. A PVP has no such incentive.

You couldn't be more wrong!! PVPs work on incentive. It is mandatory to their success that they get as many return guests and referrals as possible.

Archived