Just off the Century

bpolan

vic, sorry for the delay, ihaven't been on cruise critic for a few days. I didn't put together our st. petersburg tour, we joined a tour put together by someone i met online, and we've become friends. our tour was a bit more than the 2 day value tour, and the extra money was well worth it. The price comes down as the group gets larger. we had an air conditioned van, driver and guide who was fluent in english. she was incredibly knowledgeable, and they were also very flexible. I asked at the last minute if we could add a stop at the choral synagogue, because that wasn't on the itinerary, and the other group members didn't mind, and we did. everyone enjoyed the stop.

if you contact den rus by email, they will be very helpful.

bpolan

vic, sorry for the delay, ihaven't been on cruise critic for a few days. bpolan

Thank you for the lead. I've contacted them and you are correct that, even via e-mail, they are cooperative and professional. They didn't even comment publicly on my being a year out from the cruise, so they're also tactful. Also, after reading several passenger accounts of your cruise on Century, I feel very fortunate that I booked it, even though I have 11 months + to wait. It sounds fabulous!! Ahhh, the anticipation.

we had an air conditioned van, driver and guide who was fluent in english.

Hi. How well did the van's air conditioning work? I like it pretty cool, regardless of outside temperature, and I always enjoy the air flow, especially in a shared vehicle, but if it isn't constantly on it defeats the purpose of air-conditioning.

How expansive and clean were the windows in the van?

The only negative I saw in the public areas were the hall carpets, which seemed spotted. I am not sure if they were replaced or not, but it didn't seem like they were new.

I viewed all the revitalization slide shows, and it appeared that there was extensive carpet replacement, including hallways, though perhaps not every hallway. Some of the carpet selections are not very attractive, in my opinion, but at least the carpeting is new.

I'm curious about the new upholstered furniture (not the beds, which I understand are wonderful). Chairs and small sofas look very uncomfortable.

Also, from recent pictures I have seen, the verandah furniture appears to be the same throughout the various classes, i.e. no padded lounge chairs, and actually, no pads even on chairs in Concierge Class. It looks like everything is set up for dining (which I like) and not relaxing (which I also like). From the exterior pictures of the balconies, it looks like even the sky suites don't get loungers.

Can anyone who has been on the ship comment?

In our sky suite we had 2 loungers with a small end table between them, a higer table for eating (for 2 people), and 2 chairs. I believe the new mesh verandah furniture is the same for all staterooms, and it's really very comfortable. I like it better than the padded kind, which can get damp.

Archived