Are restaurants expensive in San Juan?

LivnLife

DH and I wanted to spend a few days in San Juan before our cruise, and WOW, hotels are rather expensive in May! :eek: But it's do-able if the restaurants aren't terribly expensive...so what has been your experience? We already looked into an AI in Rio Grande, but that would break us financially ($600+/night). The Copamarina in comparison wasn't bad-- but it's a good 1.5 hours away from San Juan...and we wanted to experience the city.

So for those of you who have stayed in San Juan, are the restaurants reasonably priced? Any feedback is appreciated!

If you want to experience the city and can stay more than one night - check this out.

www.elconvento.com

It is San Juans only 5 star - and expensive *** BUT *** on the website they have a precruise/postcruise specials. Click on "hotel packages" for the internet specials. This hotel was built in 1600's as a Carmelite convent and it has had a long and unique history since. They completely renovated it in the late 90's.

Yes hotels are expensive in San Juan but if you can get a "special" it helps. This hotel is right in the heart of old San Juan and is in walking distance of all the historical sites, restaurants and shopping. This will save on taxi fares. There are numerous restaurants near that you will get an authentic Puerto Rican meal at and not empty out your pockets :D

La Bombonera is cheap..... and good !!!!! 100 yr old bakery/cafe

El Jibarita is also good. PR family owned....

El Picoteo is yummy altho a little more expensive (tapas bar in the hotel) and there are others if you just look and ask.

Just keep looking and asking and you will get it all figured out. We loved the 3 days/2 nights we spent there !!!! Can't wait to go back !

I told Madkitty from UK I hoped you would answer her post but got your name

backward! Anyway, look for her post and my answer and add on more ideas if

you like. Time seems short for too much sightseeing. You need days or weeks

to explore the wonders of OSJ. :D

I told Madkitty from UK I hoped you would answer her post but got your name

backward! Anyway, look for her post and my answer and add on more ideas if

you like. Time seems short for too much sightseeing. You need days or weeks

to explore the wonders of OSJ. :D

I used your post to find Texan and didn't answer your request.:o This website

for El Canario hotels has some good information for places to eat in Condado

area, http://www.canariohotels.com/restaurants.htm. A favorite of mine is Angels, not fancy, but good food and prices. Near the Condado Plaza hotel, there are

some small waterfront cafes and a popular spot, Ropa Viejo. San Juan is a

fun place!!:cool

If you get to the Isla Verde area, give the Metropol a try. Lots of variety on the menu, value oriented pricing, and big portions. There will be lots of local flavors as well.

If all else fails, you can always find the normal fast food, Denny's, etc. too :)

Archived