Plus sized girl with questions about NCL Majesty

travelingkd

Hi everyone!

I am new to the cruisecritic boards but not new to cruising. It is one of my husband and my favorite ways to travel! We are going on the NCL Majesty soon and it will be our first time on that ship. I wonder if there are any other plus-sized gals (or guys!) out there that have cruised the Majesty? What did you think as far as comfort (i.e. plenty of seats without arms, some room t maneuver in bathrooms, etc.?) I know the bathroom in our cabin will be relatively tight but I am not worried about that as we plan to spend as much time as possible out of the cabin. Are there restrooms in public areas of the ship?

Also, if you have cruised the Majesty to Bermuda, how did you feel the island was towards plus-sized tourists?

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated! :o

I too am a plus size girl! I will be going to Bermuda on the Majesty in november. This will be the second time I have been on that ship. I was on it in 2003 and I had no problems getting around the ship there was plenty of room in the public bathrooms, they have on deck and there was enough room to move around in the dinning room. You are right the rooms are smaller than the new ships today but they are still nice.I like the fact that it is a smaller ship and it has lots of public rooms without feeling too crowded. I have never been to Bermuda but have heard it is a very friendly place.So I cant imagine anyone being rude there. Let me know if you have any more questions about the Majesty.

Tam123:)

I'm 20w and my husband is 3x. we had a superior size room and were comfortable. The bathroom is small. If you open the shower curtain it almost like extending the size, its just the curtain and not enclosure or anything. Bermuda was awesome! In fact we rented a moped (large one) and I was worried that maybe we both wouldn't fit or worse it wouldn't be able to go uphill with both of us on it. No problems at all, we both had plenty of room and we did the hills just fine.

The people on the island were very friendly. You'll see your share of heavy people, and there not visiting!

Have a wonderful time, can't wait until I'm able to go again.

I was plus sized (from size 28 to size 20)on my 1st 3 cruises on the Majesty. I didnt have any trouble on the ship or on the island......This will be my 1st regular sized trip (12), I had weight loss surgery last year and I cant wait to get up and shake my booty!!

The bathroom was kind of a tight squeeze, but not unmanageable. I didnt feel out of place anywhere on the island. There have always been lots of us big girls!!

Have a great time!!

I was plus sized (from size 28 to size 20)on my 1st 3 cruises on the Majesty. I didnt have any trouble on the ship or on the island......This will be my 1st regular sized trip (12), I had weight loss surgery last year and I cant wait to get up and shake my booty!!

The bathroom was kind of a tight squeeze, but not unmanageable. I didnt feel out of place anywhere on the island. There have always been lots of us big girls!!

Have a great time!!

Congratulations!!! You deserve a cruise after all that.

Hell-o Travelingkd I too am a "plus-size" guy. We where on the NCL Sun 7-06 while the facilities ( bath rooms, chairs etc) where no problem, the areas to stop sit to rest where every poor. Example- going from the stern to mid ship, there was NO DECK that had a hallway area to stop and rest. The docking facilities, in many instances also had NO benches or places to stop and rest. There are a lot of people like me who can walk but need to stop and rest along the way. While I know this is not a problem only on NCL, I think it should be addressed throughout the cruise industry. Thanks Sea/FAB

Congrats, pathubia! I know what you mean about the meal planning! But that just means you can keep going back for more small meals at the buffet! :D

I'm an 18 (hope to be smaller by the time we cruise the Majesty again in 2007), and I found it to be just fine. Showers were small (we were in 726 on the Promenade Deck), but that probably worked out for the best because we had pretty rough seas, and I could hold on to something more easily when the ship pitched.

There were one or two bathrooms outside of dining rooms or just about any public room. A word of caution: Again, we had rough seas, and these will be the first place somebody runs to when they get seasick. But the Majesty was a nice, small, quiet (most of the time) ship, and I think you'll like it. We're going to the Western Caribbean again next year, Lord willing, to see what we missed the first time around.

Pathubia -

Congratulations on the WLS! I too had Gastric Bypass surgery this past April 7th and have since lost almost 80 lbs - plus another 20 lbs leading up to surgery. I have gone from a 28W to around an 18W and am still going. We are booked for Pride of Hawaii 11/13 - and it is awesome motivation. I can't wait to flaunt my svelte new body in Hawaii.

Cruising is a great motivation and reward. Congrats.

To OP - I have cruised at sizes usually around 20W and never had a problem.

Good luck and enjoy Bermuda!

Ann

Thanks everybody.

I had Lap Band Surgery 02/28/05 and I am down 125 lbs. I cruised last year when I was 6 months out of surgery and could eat some, but my Band is extremely tight and some days I can just have fluids. I hope I can eat some next week, we are planning on LeBistro for our anniversary.

Patty

As far as Bermuda, I noticed a lot of plus sized people on the island and I never felt ignored or discriminated against because of my size. Its a happy friendly place.

Edited to add: One cab driver did mention my daughters weight she was about 12 and she is a bit heavy and we had a cabbie that told her she was too young to be so "beefy"....Fortunately she is thick skinned and we still laugh about it.

Archived