Biking down Haleakala - Maui

WeR3Angels

Steph - sorry, no further input on the parking at the pier issue. I have heard that it's not a problem and others have mentioned some difficulties. Maybe Bob and Sandi will chime in? And there are Starbucks(es?) on Maui - it's just that I'm pretty sure that they're not open 24 hrs/day! :)

Spleen

• 1 year later...
To the person who wrote in about the biking tours. I live up here on the Volcano I see and have seen these tours for 15 years now. I would NOT recommend going on one.

There are several reasons for this strong recommendation:

1) SAFETY. The most important. This whole industry has a horrific safety record. The head Doctor at Maui Memorial Hospital's ER has been quoted in the Maui News as saying that the bike tour rides are one of the most dangerous activites a person can do on our island and perhaps the whole state. They are seeing on the average an accident everyother day in the ER. Some are very serious. Last year a woman was left in a paraplegic condition. There have been between 8 to 12 deaths on these tours.

2) SIGHTSEEING? The ride itself can often be wet and cold with little or no view due to fog and rain. The curves and turns are such that it is dangerous and unwise to keep your eyes off of the roadway, which leaves little time for siteseeing.

3) CONFLICTS. Residents and locals in the upcountry area the bikes pass through, Kula, Makawao, and Paia for example are very upset with this industry. Confrontations between vehicle drivers and bike company riders are common. Many fights have taken place, as well as car and truck drivers yelling at the tour companies to stop blocking the roadways.

As I write this reply the State of Hawaii as well as the County of Maui are looking into this industry. Calls have been made for the Attorney General's Office to investigate the bike tour industries.

I hope anyone reading this will consider the facts. Do yourself a big favor, skip this one.

Sounds like the last poster is on a tear to get the bike rides banned. If I were anyone considering the ride, I would do it! We did it and it was one of the highlights of our trip! We used Maui Downhill, and it was very safe. I would do it all over again.:)

Aloha Everyone! :)

I cant hold back either!!

1. Notice this reply has [B][COLOR=Red]one post[/COLOR][/B]

Background: Some Locals (total stoners, I might add) were not happy as they drove past us and made nasty remarks, I just waved and smiled and pretended that I thought they were saying something nice

All the townsfolk were nice and happy to see us, thru Paia, Makawao and Kula etc

We used Cruiser Phils and had a [COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]GREAT [/B][/COLOR]time! You can see the scenery in no better way, smell the trees and flora and fauna because you are up close and personal, right there, not in the back of a huge diesel bus with the windows shut and AC on

So - duh (and I hate that word), keep your eyes on the road - follow the safety regulations and dont go faster than the person in front of you etc. Can you say common sense? Of course accidents are bound to happen, but I imagine that if these guys are still able to be insured etc - shouldnt be that big of a deal

I say - GO FOR IT! Have fun! Be careful, respectful, etc

Heckwithit - Tell them I sent you! :D

We just got back from our cruise and the downhill bike ride was the highlight of our trip. Yes, it can be quite dangerous (but so can riding in a car going up and down that volcano) but our tour guide was quite thorough going over the rules and he would stop often right at first to make sure everyone was ok with the ride and to tell some to fall back if they were staying a little too close to the person in front of them. I admit, I didn't take my eyes off the road for a ways once we started down (I made sure to look at the scenery while on the way up!), but once I was comfortable with the bike and relaxed it was great fun. Our guide put the lightest riders first so they would set the pace. One younger girl 2 riders in front of me slowed down a lot before curves so that made everyone else slow too, which was probably a good thing. It was kinda scarey meeting a car on the curve with no guard rail! :eek: I think the locals don't like it because there are SO many bike riders.

I will echo one thing though. I have worked in the emergency room at Maui Memorial and have some friends who work as general surgeons on Maui and take trauma call for the hospital. We have seen a number of tourists brought in for injuries (some very serious) that have taken place during the bicycle rides - it's not that it's inherently unsafe but sightseeing on a downhill VERY curvy course on a bicycle when some people may not have ridden a bicycle in a while CAN be dangerous if people get careless. They would agree that doing the downhill ride is dangerous, should be avoided, and would never take their friends/family on those tours.

YMMV as always.

Spleen

• 2 weeks later...
Go to [url]www.bikemauisafety.com[/url] (which should be on line by late October, 2006) Here you will be given facts about the dangers of the bike tour rides. You can also read complaints from customers of the industry as well as local residents. Also you will have links that take you to articles written in local newspapers. This way you will be fully informed before you make a decision that could change your life forever. In the meantime you can go to [url]www.mauinews.com[/url] and type in, bike accidents on maui, and you can see some of the problems that occur with these companies.

I recommend you don't take this ride. There are several reasons for this strong recommendation:

1) SAFETY. The most important. This whole industry has a horrific safety record. The head Doctor at Maui Memorial Hospital's ER has been quoted in the Maui News as saying that the bike tour rides are one of the most dangerous activites a person can do on our island and perhaps the whole state. They are seeing on the average an accident everyother day in the ER. Some are very serious. Last year a woman was left in a paraplegic condition. There have been atleast 8 deaths on these tours. The accidents are sometimes caused by people riding in unsafe manner but that is not the usual case. Deaths have ranged between 17 years of age to 73. The most recent death was this September of 2006.

2) SIGHTSEEING? The ride itself can often be wet and cold with little or no view due to fog and rain. The curves and turns are such that it is dangerous and unwise to keep your eyes off of the roadway, which leaves little time for siteseeing.

3) CONFLICTS. Residents and locals in the upcountry area the bikes pass through, Kula, Makawao, and Paia for example are very upset with this industry. Confrontations between vehicle drivers and bike company riders are common. Many fights have taken place, as well as car and truck drivers yelling at the tour companies to stop blocking the roadways. (See [url]www.MauiNews.com[/url], type in bike accidents on Maui)

As I write this reply the State of Hawaii as well as the County of Maui are looking into this industry. Calls have been made for the Attorney General's Office to investigate the bike tour industries.

I hope anyone reading this will consider the facts. Do yourself a big favor, skip this one.[/QUOTE]

Aloha -

there was talk elsewhere about trollism and motivation for the original posting - one other posting was removed and other events had taken place

obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion

Have a good one!

p.s. I still recommend that everyone who is physically able - take the tour

Be safe and have fun!

[quote name='SQUAREROOT']forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to just drive there in the morning, watch the sunrise, observe the scenery then drive back instead of doing the downhill bike?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. Many people do exactly that.

Spleen

We were on the Pride of Hawaii in September. As we overnighted in Maui, we did the Haleakala downhill on day #2 with Mountain Riders. We opted not to do the sunrise version. Only 8 in our group and the guide was very safety concious. It was one of the highlights of the trip. (BTW, we rode the van thru Makawao so as not to disturb the local populace - also a lot safer because of multiple intersections, stop signs, etc.)

Also, PoH docks at Maui - why do so many of you keep talking about tenders? Another eason to go on Poh, perhaps? Finally, although we didn't keep our car rental for day #2, there were at least 3 free parking lots for cruise passenger use at the pier.

Archived