Restaurant in Honolulu with View of Cruise Ship Pier?

CL-JW

Any suggestions for restaurants in Honolulu that will have views of the cruise ship pier? We're there overnight and would love to see the ship all lit up at the pier while having dinner.

Thanks in advance.

I can't think of a single restaurant with a view of the ship's dock. When you see the area the ship is docked and the pier itself, you'll understand why. The view is pretty much blocked off by the surrounding buildings.

Restaurants in the area (where you won't see many tourists but lots of locals):

Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab (808) 545-7979 - Steaks and seafood on the grill. VERY popular with locals, not my favorite.

Palomino (808) 528-2400 - trendy restaurant across the street from Aloha Tower (the pier)

Indigo Eurasian Cuisine (808) 955-7552 - Pacific rim food, EXCELLENT but I haven't been in a few years.

There are also SEVERAL places to eat in Aloha Tower Marketplace which is where the ships dock. Some good, some so-so.

I can't think of a single restaurant with a view of the ship's dock. When you see the area the ship is docked and the pier itself, you'll understand why. The view is pretty much blocked off by the surrounding buildings.

Restaurants in the area (where you won't see many tourists but lots of locals):

Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab (808) 545-7979 - Steaks and seafood on the grill. VERY popular with locals, not my favorite.

Palomino (808) 528-2400 - trendy restaurant across the street from Aloha Tower (the pier)

Indigo Eurasian Cuisine (808) 955-7552 - Pacific rim food, EXCELLENT but I haven't been in a few years.

There are also SEVERAL places to eat in Aloha Tower Marketplace which is where the ships dock. Some good, some so-so.

Thanks for your reply! :D

Actually Palomino will have views of the cruise ship pier (pier 11 area) from some of the windows, I believe. At least, I'm pretty sure I've been able to see cruise ships from inside. It's got some of the best food in the vicinity of the cruise ship dock so it's still your best bet, anyways. :)

Dinner menu: http://www.r-u-i.com/pdf/menus/Palomino-Honolulu-Dinner.pdf

I really like the steak frites (ok, ok, it's not very Hawaiian but it IS good)

Spleen

Actually Palomino will have views of the cruise ship pier (pier 11 area) from some of the windows, I believe. At least, I'm pretty sure I've been able to see cruise ships from inside. It's got some of the best food in the vicinity of the cruise ship dock so it's still your best bet, anyways. :)

Dinner menu: http://www.r-u-i.com/pdf/menus/Palomino-Honolulu-Dinner.pdf

I really like the steak frites (ok, ok, it's not very Hawaiian but it IS good)

Spleen

Another good suggestion! The Tiramisu cocktail looks especially tasty!

Gordon Biersch (spelling?) Is outdoors on the pier (Aloha Tower) I'm not sure if you can see the ships from there. But I'm pretty sure you can. I like that place because they ALWAYS have great live music.

We have them here to - good food & good beer. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

Well I think we're gonna do Palomino for our second night in Honolulu. I've read some reviews in our Frommers Guide and Oahu Revealed and both really liked it. That, coupled with the recommendation makes us want to try it.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. That's why we love Cruise Critic though - all of the thoughtful members!!

Spleen was right, you can see the ship from Palomino. You'll be staring right at the bow of the ship, good view of the anchor... :o If you had x-ray vision, you could also see the ship from Gordon Biersch but us mere mortals don't have that ability. :rolleyes: Palomino would be your best bet for dinner. Food is pretty edible!

Gordon Biersch is on the wrong side of Aloha Tower though to see Pier 11. Though you might have a view from the outside bar area way in the corner.

Spleen

I was talking about the outside bar area. I guess I forgot that there was a covered eatting area as well. We never sit inside, especially if there is a way to see/hear live music.

The "outside bar area" that Spleen was referring to was called Kapono's (formally the Pier Bar) but I don't know if it's even there anymore. They may have closed a while back. The outside bar area of Gordon Biersch is on the opposite side of Aloha Tower Marketplace, as far away from the cruise ship pier as you can get and not get wet.

Here's a map: http://www.alohatower.com/directory.html

The "outside bar area" that Spleen was referring to was called Kapono's (formally the Pier Bar) but I don't know if it's even there anymore. They may have closed a while back. The outside bar area of Gordon Biersch is on the opposite side of Aloha Tower Marketplace, as far away from the cruise ship pier as you can get and not get wet.

Here's a map: http://www.alohatower.com/directory.html

I know where it is. I eat there often. I can see the top of the ship from where I usually sit because the ships usually tower above everything.

I guess I was thinking about "seeing" the wrong part of the ship **sheepish grin**

• 1 month later...

Well we're just back from our Radiance cruise to Hawaii - had an awesome time.

We at at Palaminos just across from the pier. Great food, great drinks and an awesome view of the ship at sunset.

Thanks to all who made their recommendations!!!

Archived