Nynashamn Station Confusion

Hi fellow cruisers:

The more I research this, the more confused I gotten. There's a shortcut that MTemple212 mentioned and I think it's great.

Tip: if you decide to do this, after getting out of the fenced in port area, take a left and follow the sidewalk. Once the sidewalk takes a right turn, keep going straight toward the ferry terminal/boats. The rest of the people will take that right and follow the sidewalk and have to go up a hill and come back down it again but you just follow along on the low road and you will see a small path that leads back to the sidewalk where all the others will eventually be behind you! It just saves you from having to walk up and back down the little hill.

I was reading somewhere that I should AVOID the smaller Nyanshamn Station and go to the bigger Nyanshamn Station. Then, I read a review that says I should go to the smaller station instead.

Question:

If I were to take this shortcut route, will I see only one station and that's the station I should take? Or will I see some other smaller (bigger) station that I should avoid?

Someone had mentioned changing trains on the way to Stockholm. Was wondering if it was just in that case, or is this generally the case?

This train DIDN'T go directly to Stockholm. We had to get off at the stop - Vasterhaninge

On return, do we need to change train again?

Which train station should we get off? The Nyanshamn Central Station or the Nyanshamn station?

(We plan to walk both ways from the train station)

Thanks, sorry for my confusion.

Hi fellow cruisers:

The more I research this, the more confused I gotten. There's a shortcut that MTemple212 mentioned and I think it's great.

Tip: if you decide to do this, after getting out of the fenced in port area, take a left and follow the sidewalk. Once the sidewalk takes a right turn, keep going straight toward the ferry terminal/boats. The rest of the people will take that right and follow the sidewalk and have to go up a hill and come back down it again but you just follow along on the low road and you will see a small path that leads back to the sidewalk where all the others will eventually be behind you! It just saves you from having to walk up and back down the little hill.

I was reading somewhere that I should AVOID the smaller Nyanshamn Station and go to the bigger Nyanshamn Station. Then, I read a review that says I should go to the smaller station instead.

Question:

If I were to take this shortcut route, will I see only one station and that's the station I should take? Or will I see some other smaller (bigger) station that I should avoid?

Someone had mentioned changing trains on the way to Stockholm. Was wondering if it was just in that case, or is this generally the case?

This train DIDN'T go directly to Stockholm. We had to get off at the stop - Vasterhaninge

On return, do we need to change train again?

Which train station should we get off? The Nyanshamn Central Station or the Nyanshamn station?

(We plan to walk both ways from the train station)

Thanks, sorry for my confusion.

Also, did the train split? I was reading a post here back in 2004 or 2005 where he said that the first few cars were so packed, people fainted, and so on. What're your experiences for the train back?

Question:

Just follow those instructions and you'll walk right to the station. It's a very small town and a very small station. There will be a hundred other people walking this same route.

The part about going up a hill and then down is valid and to save a few steps and some huffing and puffing stay on the lower side and just keep walking. They meet back up it's just a jog of a couple of blocks.

We did this route in June and it's very obvious when you get there. The station will appear about 5-6 blocks ahead as you walk along the road. It's just a whistle stop so don't expect a huge train station building! :)

We did NOT change trains going to Stockholm. We stayed on the same train and it takes you right to central station. It's about an hour or so ride.

Also, did the train split? I was reading a post here back in 2004 or 2005 where he said that the first few cars were so packed, people fainted, and so on. What're your experiences for the train back?

In June our train did split on the way back and the first 4 cars went all the way back to the port. So I'd advise getting on the first 3-4 cars of the train to make sure. You can also ask before you board at Stockholm central station to confirm this.

Everything went fine for us!

We took the earlier train from Stockholm back (I think the 1:52 pm) and just hopped on the first car of the train. It was not packed and no one was standing. But the car was filled with cruise passengers going the same way. Only locals who got into our car after the Stockholm Central Terminal had to stand briefly. I really don't know or recall if our train split cars in the back end since we were in the first car. Unless this was something that was very noticeable, in which case, our train from Stockholm didn't split along the way.

I think the safe thing for you to do is to ask the train conductor or train staff as soon as you arrive at the train station in Nynashamn. They were nice and friendly. Plus, you will be traveling with lots of other cruise passengers so you guys will stay on or leave together on the trains.

I was really confused about the transfer as well since I had taken notes from previous passengers about how to take the train to Stockholm and there was no mention about any transfer off the train. I asked our train conductor twice before the train pulled away from Nynashamn station and also asked the train staff who was checking train tickets to show me on the train wall route map which station I needed to get off for the transfer. I think all the cruise passengers just followed each other and got off at Vasterhaninge to get on the other train to Stockholm.

Archived