Dining on the PG?

smbblack

Can someone share with us, please, how the dining works on the PG? It's our understanding that there are specialty restaurant(s) that require a reservation and also a main dining room that does not require a reservation. Should we make reservations now (we sail in just 26 days!) or wait until we board? We've read where the main dining is just as good if not better sometimes than the specialty restaurant. Do you agree? We don't want to miss out on something special. Also, are cocktails included with dinner or just wine?

Thank you!

We were on the PG in Sep 2005. There are 2 restaurants in addition to the main dining room. One is more casual and one is more upscale. We did not eat in the casual one. We did eat in the upscale one and found it very good. In that restaurant many people go in 2's and 4's. You need a reservation for either one of these. In the main dining room, you just show up when you want to. They will as you if you want to eat as a twosome or foursome or if you want to join others. We always joined tables and got to know some of our shipmates. There is a 5-course meal offerered every evening with excellent food and choices. We made our reservations for the fine dining restaurant when we got on the ship and had no problem getting the day we wanted. Many of the reviews say Regent has some of the best food in the industry. Wine is complimentary and they never let your glass get empty. When we cruised, mixed drinks were extra but I understand that is now changing and all drinks will be included, not sure of the date. You will find Regent is almost completely inclusive except for shore excursions, which are reasonably priced and seamless. You will have a wonderful time--it was the best vacation we have ever had!

There are no extra charges for specialty restaurants, soft drinks or bottled water.

I have read elsewhere that the all inclusive policy does not start until the 2007 New Year cruises.

We were on the Navigator last year and standard cocktails were available without charge in the dining rooms.

We will be on the 9/23 cruise and have pre-booked for La Verandah on 27 September as it is our daughters birthday. You can pre-book on-line once for each of La Verandah and Le Grill

Yes, although the all inclusive starts with the New Years cruises, current policy is that all drinks served in the dining rooms during dinner are at no extra charge. This means you could actually request a cocktail before dinner, enjoy the wines that are offered and also have a drink of your choice after dinner. Many people have not been aware of this policy, but all you have to do is request them. At the time of your sailing you will have your choice of two bottles of liquor in your cabin along with some beers and botled water and cans of soda pop (the water and soda pop being replaced daily as needed). When the all inclusive begins those two bottles of liquor in your room will no longer be offered because you will have free drinks in all areas of the ship throughout the day and in the dining venues lunch and dinner.

You should have no trouble booking the specialty restaurants on board--I believe they still try to ensure that every passengers gets to try both, if they wish, once during the cruise. Towards the end, you can sometimes squeeze in a second. I have not done La Verandah since it changed from Apicius, but I have always enjoyed Le Grill. It is intimate and romantic, if the weather is good, since it is in the open air.

I think a lot of folks miss a key point on the PG. If you have a desire, ASK!!

The crew seems to try their utmost to please. If you want lobster for dinner every night, Ask!! You liked last night's desert and want it after dinner again, no problem. They made us a birthday cake for our table in about 30seconds when they found out everyone of our six couples was celebrating a birthday with the cruise. We were never disappointed with the meal in the maindining room, and we were never disappointed with the crew. I think if you get on board mellow, you can not miss.

We had a lady on the cruise we were on last that pictured herself as some kind of critic, she found fault frequently. Needless to say she was traveling solo.

Archived