Catalina Island - Snorkeling

bambam

We will be ariving in Catalina Island September 29 via the Summit. In checking the BBB and other resources, there doesn't seem to be readily available information regarding snorkeling. Some recent cruising friends told us that there was good sea-life snorkeling in CI, yet I can't find out where to go. Has anyone got any helpful information? Thanks.:D

When you tender in there are vendors at the pier you dock at and there is a large green pier you can walk over to and you can make arrangements there. Remember though this is not the Caribbean - we haven't snorkeled at Catalina but have watched them in their wetsuits. A fun thing to do there is to rent the golf cart and drive around the island.

The Pacific is never as warm as the Atlantic, and the water around Catalina is quite "brisk:eek: ". I have always found it to be too cold for snorkeling w/o at least a shortjohn wetsuit (and I am a native CA). The underwater sea life is very interesting: beautiful Garibaldi, huge kelp forest, and other assorted "stuff to look at".

Archived