Back from 3 week, 3 island stay

beachin'

Had a fantastic time in paradise - now it's back to reality :( . We did the PoAM last year, and were thinking about POH with an extended stay on Oahu, but decided on a land vacation instead, especially since I definitely wanted to spend more time on the Big Island. Highlights of our Big Island stay included hiking to Pololu Valley's black sand beach; visiting the towns of Hawi, Honokaa, and Waimea; Waipio Valley; Hilo Farmer's Market; lots of waterfalls on the Hilo side; Lili'uokalani Gardens; Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory; A-Bay; Kauna'oa aka Mauna Kea Beach; Manini'owali aka Kua Bay - probably my favorite of all Hawaiian beaches; Hapuna Beach; kayaking and snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay/Captain Cook monument, where we were fortunate to have a pod of spinner dolphins swimming around us on the trip over. While on the Big Island, we saw the infamous, monstrous flying cockroaches, and huge centipedes - as long as they were outdoors and not indoors cohabitating with me :eek: , it was fine. Although we really enjoyed Volcanoes National Park last year, we opted not to go again, since it does take a full day, especially coming from the Waikoloa area where we stayed. Highlights of our Maui stay included beaches, of course. Most of the time we were at Big Beach in Makena, a gorgeous beach particularly when the sun is shining, but with wicked waves that will toss and pound you silly - if you're into that. I still have sand lodged in my ears - I know, gross. Also went to Po'olenalena beach in Wailea, Kamaole Beach in Kihei and Kahekili Beach, just north of Kaanapali's Black Rock, where my daughter got her very painful, but oh-so-proud-to-display, man of war bite. We spent the rest of the day in Lahaina, which reminded me of Key West. Another day we went to Haleakala in the late afternoon to hike a bit before sunset. Haleakala was beautiful in a very unique way, and it was really neat to be above the clouds. We chose sunset over sunrise because we did not want to get up that early and freeze (can do that at home soon enough). Also, you don't have the crowds at sunset. It's a winding road, although nothing like Hana's constant curves. However, you do have to really watch out for the cows in the road. We went to some north shore beaches (Baldwin Beach and Spreckelsville Beach - I now know to avoid them in the future) before going to Haleakala. On Oahu, we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which was a beautiful, busy, mega resort. We really enjoyed our stay there. Not crazy about Waikiki Beach - the beach itself - but went to plenty of other lovely beaches, including Laniakea aka Turtle Beach, Waimea, Sunset, Kailua and Lanikai. The latter two would have been absolutely perfect if not for cloudiness of the water. Although we had previously been to the Dole Plantation, we went again, and did the maze this time. I would say this is definitely a once-is-enough type of place (i.e. tourist trap), but since we were going right past it we decided to brush up on the proper way to cut a pineapple, and enjoy a yummy Dole whip. Another day we went horseback riding above Waimanalo Bay - gorgeous scenery. We also went to the Aloha Stadium swap meet - if you can deal with the heat, there are bargains to be had in this seemingly never-ending shopping bonanza. We then decided to go against all advice and go to Pearl Harbor at a little after 1:30pm, rather than first thing in the morning. I knew we were taking a chance on tickets being sold out at that time, but we had plenty of other options for the rest of the day if we were not able to get in, and would plan on going to Pearl Harbor another day. However, surprise ... walked right up to the desk - no line whatsoever, and got tickets for the next tour which began in 3 minutes. After the tour, we spent some time back at the museum which was fascinating. We also went to Chinatown, where we shopped and tried many interesting foods at bakeries and markets, before making our way to Legend Seafood Restaurant. Although Chinatown in name, there are obviously many Asian cultures represented - when we asked a merchant which way Legend Seafood was, she said she did not know ... ask the Chinese people next door ... hmmm, okay. The restaurant was wonderful. Interesting how they clean their tables - they pour tea from your teapot on the table and wipe it up with a towel. I think I'll try that at home. Overall, we had an absolutely fabulous vacation - probably our best vacation to date. Sure gonna miss shave ice, malasadas and black pearl drinks - dem da kine brah.

Waipio was stunning, as was Pololu. We did them on the same day, but didn't realize it was going to take as long as it did to drive from Pololu to Waipio. They're close on the map but no through road, since one road ends at Pololu and another road ends at Waipio. On Oahu, we rode with Correa Trails - really nice man who has a ranch with incredible ocean vistas. It was a rocky, steep up-and-down trail, but the horses were quite sure-footed. You're very lucky to be living in Hawaii, but I'm sure you know that.

:D I am always happy when someone enjoys our state. Love your humorous anecdotes, esp. the B-52 roaches. Yucky creatures, yeah?

Quite amazing how my country-men clean the tables with the tea. A sort of recycling, I guess.

Every once in a while, we will stop by at Pearl Harbor in the afternoon and I don't recall any long waiting problems. What an inspiring respectful place.

Sounds like you did a lot of planning and you got to see a lot of stuff during your stay. Great!

Aloha for now,

Noreen.

Bucky3 -

Glad you enjoyed the long review. After I previewed the post, I realized I should have broken it up for easier reading, but jet lag and piles of laundry were taking over.

Kua Bay, now officially known as Manini'owali Beach, was a previously difficult to access beach. However, within the past year, a paved road was contructed, making it very easy to get to. The entrance road is located directly across from West Hawaii Veterans Cemetery, between mile markers 88 and 89 on Highway 19 (Queen Ka'ahumanu Hwy). There is a sign at the beginning of the entrance road with "Manini'owali Beach" on it. The location is just south of the Four Seasons and Ka'upulehu Beach. It was about a 15 minute ride for us, coming from the Waikoloa Beach Resort area. I believe it is closed on Wednesdays. It is a beautiful, classic Caribbean-type beach : soft white sand, clear, turquoise waters, but with some surf.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds divine. We will be in Kona in December and I'm looking for places that are different than we've visited before. Another place I saw advertised as a Princess shore excursion was the Seahorse Farm. Never heard of that before, so we're hoping that will be open the day we are there - it's a Sunday and their website lists it as being closed, but hopefully with a ship in port they will accomodate us. And then, after that I think we'll look up the beach you mention. If it's your favorite in all Hawaii it surely must be something special. I can't wait! Aloha!

We will have friends with us that are somewhat limited as far as mobility is concerned. Once the car is parked, how far would we need to walk to have a nice place on the beach? And is the water easy to get in and out of? Thanks again.

WOW Great review...

Wish we had 3 weeks to explore, but we've got 10 days to divide between Big Island and Kauii... having a hard time deciding when to fly between two. Now I wish we could have stopped in Mauii... will do that next summer I guess.

Carolyn

We will have friends with us that are somewhat limited as far as mobility is concerned. Once the car is parked, how far would we need to walk to have a nice place on the beach? And is the water easy to get in and out of? Thanks again.

From the parking area, there is a paved path leading to the beach - maybe about 50 yards. However, once the path ends and you make your way onto the beach there are some fairly steep, cumbersome rocks to traverse (over a short distance - maybe 20 feet) Whether that would pose a problem depends on the extent of the mobility limitations. As far as the water, it is not calm water, but the waves were not too harsh, although the conditions on any given day can certainly vary.

Archived