Helsinki - Princess Shuttle Bus?

vivienne-j

We'll be with the Star Princess in the Baltic next July, and I'm thinking ahead...

Can anyone tell me if Princess runs shuttle buses from the port? I'm looking specifically at getting to the Market Square / Esplanade area. If so, can you tell me how frequently they run?

Thanks...

We'll be with the Star Princess in the Baltic next July, and I'm thinking ahead...

Can anyone tell me if Princess runs shuttle buses from the port? I'm looking specifically at getting to the Market Square / Esplanade area. If so, can you tell me how frequently they run?

Thanks...

We were on Star Princess Baltic cruise last year (August) and discovered that in Helsinki there is a Hop On Hop Off Bus which is waiting right by the dockside which will take you to Market Place and this open top bus is an ideal and inexpensive way to see all the sights - just get off and visit all the places of interest en route. Princess did operate a shuttle service into town but it was I believe $4 each way. We purchased a combined tour bus and island cruise ticket for Euros 29. If you are interested I have posted a review of the Baltic cruise which can be found via the following link

www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12469

A member of our Roll Call for this trip has also posted a review which can be found under the Star Princess Members Reviews section posted by sunprincess and she has also posted some fabulous photos of the trip.

You will thoroughly enjoy this cruise but it is a very hectic itinerary.

There is also a Hop On Hop Off tour bus in Copenhagen but you will need to take the Princess Shuttle Bus to the Main Square to link up with this at a cost of $4 each way again. In Tallin do not bother getting the shuttle as it is an easy walk into the town.

Have a great trip.

Regards

Suron in Bristol,England

Just noticed that you reside in England so you may wish to note my comments regarding the Express Check Out Form which we had trouble with and I would advise that you invest in something like the Nationwide Visa Card which does not incur any charges on foreign transactions although there is a very small fee for withdrawals from ATMs but not nearly as much as that charged by the major credit card companies or High St banks.

Hello.

You can also take a local bus from the port to downtown for a cheaper price than the shuttle bus.

Price for the local bus is 2,20 Euro one way.(current price) I think the local buses run approx every 10 or 15 minutes. You can take the local bus to the end of the Esplanade Park, from the bus stop it's just 5 minute walk to the Market Place.

You can also walk to downtown, it is very easy and safe. If You walk to the downtown it takes around 20 minutes to the Market Place.

Regards

Christoffer

Helsinki, Finland

Guest LetMeGo

The shuttle bus has been reported to cost $6 or 6€, and leave right next to the ship. Typically there are several buses in the morning and afternoon going back and forth every few minutes, but in the middle of the day you can expect only one bus to drive the route every 45-60 minutes.

The distance from Hernesaari to the Esplanade is approximately two miles, and half of that journey goes through the industrial area where there is very little to see... Unless you really want to save money, I wouldn't recommend walking. In addition to the one hour ticket for 2.20€ you can also buy a 24h tourist ticket for 6€, which is also valid in the trams, metro, local trains and the Suomenlinna ferry.

There are two buses from Hernesaari. #16 goes along the Esplanade to the Market square and Senate square, and the #14B bus goes to the area where the National musem and Temppeliaukio rock church are located. In the summertime both of these buses typically have 20 minute intervals, and leave from the same bus stop next to the Hernesaari pier. (There should be a chart showing the departure times at the stop.)

Thanks so much, everyone! What super replies.

Suron - I've quickly scanned your excellent review, and will go through it in detail when I've got a bit more time (when I'm back at work next week!), along with that from 'sunprincess'. Lots of good information there, which will be really useful for us. I've put DH onto the financial bits of your review - again, it's all worth knowing beforehand, though we didn't get caught out when we did the Med cruise in 2004.

Tero - It's good to know that the tourist ticket is valid for the Suomenlinna ferry as well, as we'll probably make our way across there at some point during the day.

It's also good to hear that the Star is back to her old self after the fire - we're looking forward to re-acquainting ourselves with her next year, though it sounds as if we'll be doing little more than sleeping on board, as this trip is so port-intensive.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

The shuttle bus has been reported to cost $6 or 6€, and leave right next to the ship. Typically there are several buses in the morning and afternoon going back and forth every few minutes, but in the middle of the day you can expect only one bus to drive the route every 45-60 minutes.

Are you sure this information is correct???

Guest LetMeGo
Are you sure this information is correct???

Which bit? :D

I have no personal experience with travelling the shuttle buses, so the best information can be found by reading this message board...

I do know that I have seen as many as three buses for the same ship within a few minutes in the late afternoon (around 4pm) when passengers have been returning to the ship, and the occasional bus during the day. It would make sense for that one bus to drive back and forth to the ship every hour or so, but I think the only way to be absolutely sure is by asking the driver for a timetable. :confused:

Archived