Ready, Set, Panic!

cathy4

:eek: I have just 42 days until my cruise, and I would love nothing more than to lose 10 pounds. I recieved a bunch of clothes today that I had ordered online, and I really like all them, but a couple things would just feel and look better if I could lose a few pounds. I don't want to send them back for bigger sizes!

Forget that I am furious with myself for not being serious about weight loss in the spring, because now I could lose really good. So now I'm paying for it (of course I didn't know about the cruise until two weeks ago! Surprise!!).

Tomorrow I start walking.....no less than four-five days a week. Even though it will be really hard to get up early (5:15) on a few of those days, I'm going to do it....and since I'm walking with my mom, it will make me accountable since I'll know she is meeting me to walk. I just really want to look and feel good on this trip....who knows when we'll go again, and it's our 10 year anniversary!!

Please help if you have any really good tried-and-true tips. I know the basics and it's mostly common sense, but it helps to get advice from others.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Don't panick! :-) This is totally doable for you. The walking is a GREAT idea and will help alot.

I lost my weight with Weight Watchers and lost quite a bit. Here are my tips:

at LEAST 6 -8oz glasses of water per day. The water flushes out any water retention you may have from various times of the month, excess sodium, whatever else that can make the scale read differently than it otherwise would. Even exercise can make you retain water.

Don't deprive yourself. Just portion things out. have a snack each day if you're a snack person.

"closing the kitchen". No food after a certain time helped me alot.

substitutions such as: soy crisps for potato chips.....they taste great and I don't miss the greasiness of potato chips at all and have them very rarely these days; regular soda for diet......my husband used to swear he HATED diet soda and it tasted horribly and I was cool with that, but now he's a diet soda person and says he actually prefers it. That alone helped him drop 45lbs!

switch to whole grains instead of things made with white processed flour. More fiber in your diet helps you lose fat and burn.

Weight training combined with your walking. Get a pair of 3 or 5lb free weights and do a variety of exercises. You may not see it as big at the scale, but if you take your measurements, you'll be smaller for the same weight.......it isn't always about the scale number, but rather about measurements and clothing size. I'm 2 sizes smaller at my current weight than I was in my 20s at the same weight. Because of weight training. You won't bulk up like a bodybuilder either. Women aren't built for that unless we start SERIOUS weight training like the bodybuilder women.

watch your salt intake. Diet frozen dinners have TONS of sodium in them that will make you bloaty and retain water. Eat real food.

Lastly, be patient with yourself and set smaller goals along the way so the bigger ones don't seem so overwhelming. think of a nice non-food reward for yourself when you reach these small goals. Even if you don't reach your ultimate goal, be proud of the steps you take like walking more because your body will still thank you for it!

Good luck and I know you can make it to where you want. You have plenty of time.

Cathy4- Everything Autumnquest said and.... be sure to watch portion control. That's the hardest for me but also the biggest part of success.

Another thing that I discovered by accident was cutting out processed stuff. When we discovered my youngest DD had allergies to corn we had to cut anything out of our diet that had corn oil, corn starch and most importantly high fructose corn syrup. BTW, it's in EVERYTHING! :rolleyes: Just by cutting those products out and substituting homemade or better quality items for the processed DH and I each dropped about 15 pounds without even trying. HFCS adds alot of calories but not a sense of fullness to the food so we'd eat something with it and then be hungry again in an hour. Foods made from real ingredients stuck around alot longer. The closer the item is to how it looked in the field or on the farm the better it is for you and the longer it takes your body to process it. Therefore, the longer it will keep you feeling full.

Tami

Thanks for the advice!

I already incorporate several of your tips into my daily eating, but I really need to drink more water. I actually hate regular soda and white bread, and I love whole grain things, so that's not a problem.

My biggest downfall lately is sugar, so staying away from that and salt, plus the water and exercise, are my goals.

I LOVE lifting weights, and do it whenever I can...even watching tv. I want my arms to look better!

I did get up this morning and walking for an hour (in the rain, but I did it!), so I feel great about that. I think it's going to have to be EVERY day, not just four-five days, for me to lose weight. But I'm excited that I got myself out of bed on a Saturday and did it. :D

Thanks again! :)

Congrats about getting up and getting it done.

I wish I had that discipline.

I am in a similar boat. I need to lose another 20 or so, and I would like to lose about 15 before I cruise at the end of October. It is going to be hard but I will do my best. I have lost 30 so far but still a ways to go. I just want to look better in my clothes for this trip.

Lets keep each other motivated.

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

We received our cruise doc's today. We leave on the 4th of Nov. I must loose 12 lbs to get in my cruise clothes.

So, I'm here with you too.

Let's go - I've got 6 wks at 2 lbs a week I should be okay - wish I'd done better and started last spring. What's important is to do it now.

...ladies, if you exercise regualarly & build a bit of muscle between now & then (while you lose fat), even tho the scale might not "say" a 10 or 12lb loss, you might lose inches & still fit into your cruise clothes "no problem"! :D So take your measurements too!

You sound like you've got a goal AND a plan to get there! Way to go!

Sha

Write down what you put into your mouth, and I mean everything!! You'll be surprised what goes in when you are stressed or watching TV. Be sure to drink water, and eat yogurt. It's low in fat, excellent for you, and you need dairy anyway. Don't stress over it though, do what you can, and enjoy your cruise no matter what!! Happy 10th!!:)

C

Write down what you put into your mouth, and I mean everything!! You'll be surprised what goes in when you are stressed or watching TV. Be sure to drink water

I agree with that info. Try and have 5-6 small meals a day, atleast 45 minutes of exercise (anything that elevated your heart rate, walking is peachy). Salads mmmmmm! No food 4 hours before bedtime. Caffene is good for you (5ish cups of coffee a day).

10lb in 42 days is very doable!!!

...ladies, if you exercise regualarly & build a bit of muscle between now & then (while you lose fat), even tho the scale might not "say" a 10 or 12lb loss, you might lose inches & still fit into your cruise clothes "no problem"! :D So take your measurements too!

You sound like you've got a goal AND a plan to get there! Way to go!

Sha

Amen to that!!! Good luck to you and I know you can do it!!!

and words of wisdom.

I have been reading Dr. Phil's book. I am an emotional eater I know that. My worst time is from 9 till 10 at night - DH leaves for work at 9.

One of my GF's said the other day that it made sense as I hate to be alone at night - have always been afraid and that is why I stress at 9. I hadn't ever thought of that before. Now I'm trying to find alternative ways to deal with the stress.

Any idea's?

I can't go out and walk at that time nor can I go to the gym. I don't go out that late by myself unless it's on the weekend's. Then I meet up with some gal pal's at the book store or for coffee at one of our homes.

I do great all day long until being left alone at night. Maybe I can get a wife sitter LOL:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
watch your salt intake. Diet frozen dinners have TONS of sodium in them that will make you bloaty and retain water. Eat real food.

Autumnquest had a lot of great suggestions. But while there are cons against diet frozen dinners, there are also pros. I typically spend 12-14 hours a day getting ready for work, getting to work, working, then getting home from work. Any diet plan that has worked for me has been based on convenience. I've done Nutrisystems in the past and had some success. Now I'm on the WW flex plan. I find buying diet frozen dinners to take to work for lunch is not only quick and convenient, but also helps ensure proper portion control. In fact, when I get home late, I'll have a frozen dinner as well. I have low blood pressure, so I'm not too concerned about excess salt. And the extra salt isn't really keeping me from losing weight faster, because without the built-in portion control I'm sure I'd be packing larger portion sizes than I need.

I am with everyone here... 42 days, that is close to a month an a half. 10 pounds in not out of the question to accomplish.

Autum had really good suggestions.. My 2 cents.. Make all your time count. For example you could buy one of thoes exercise balls. While wathching TV or whatever you could do some of these exercises. They are wonderful tone up exercises. I have 2 and a half pounds weight in my kitchen!.. While I am cooking dinner and just waiting around I do quick exercises with my weights!

I sure understand the convenience of TV dinners. I cook so many of our meals in a crock pot. It takes me about a half hour of prep work in the AM at the very most. Then it is ready when I come home... My biggest downfall was being real hungry when I came home from work and grab anything, usually the stuff filled with calories. There are so many lo cal crockpot recipes.

Good Luck. You goal is reasonable and I just bet you are going to reach this goal. Oh and lucky you to have a been suprised with a cruise vacation!

My tip would be no recreational eating. I know when I got bored my first choice for releiving the boredom was hit the fridge. Now I do something, anything, other than stuff a yummy in my mouth. Also Weight Watchers is a great program. I've 66 lost pounds so far and am at goal now.

It's really fun being referred to as the tiny lady in the cool jeans instead of the chunky lady in the muumuu.:D

I've been able to get down 13.5 lbs now. I really needed to loose another 5 lbs to get in my dress clothes. However, I do have enough I can wear now for a 7 day cruise - THANK GOD.

I am fasting again this week. I found this fast that a gal is using that my DH works with. I feel so GOOD when I do it - the first day it a bit rough. I tell you the main hunger is phycological though - not physical. Rarely, have I gotten physically hungry - it's INCREDIBLE.

You drink this lemonaide drink that is made with lemon juice and Maple syrup and take cayanne pepper capsules - it gives you energy and keeps the physical hunger at bay.

I just wish I'd have lost more weight than I did - it's my own fault though. I may be able to drop 2-3 more lbs this week.

We have another cruise in April - would like to drop at least 20 lbs more before that cruise.

You all have helped me THANK YOU:)

Hi Hugger - Congrats on your loss so far & your determination! I do want to add a warning tho -

Some of these fasts are great for a few days to get you "jump-started" on a weight loss program. Unfortunately, because of the severely reduced calories, you also slow down your metabolism at bit & that can have a "rebound effect" once you eat normally. You also lose water weight on fasts, not just fat.

Be very careful on the cruise so that once you start eating regular food you don't overdo it -- & most cruise food is far from "regular" - much of it can be WAY richer (& therefore fattening!) than what we normally have at home! And - big thing to remember - The cruise food will have more sodium & other ingredients than you have on your fast, that can cause you to naturally "regain" some of the water weight you lost, within just a couple of days! Also, if you drink more alcohol on the cruise than you have recently, (even "just" some beer & wine), the alcohol can cause you to retain water.

I'm not saying this to be negative, just a realistic warning, so that the cruise clothes you totally fit in now (woohoo!), won't be "a little snug" before the time your cruise is over, if you gain a few. You can only keep your weight down (fat loss) by eating well & keeping active during your cruise, but just as important, be sure to keep drinking water whenever you can to help keep the water weight gain from happening!

Good luck!

Sha

Yes, I know - what I have done is I do the fast for a week - then I eat more normal the next week in order to not go to far into the fast thing.

So far I've been able to maintain my weight on the week that I eat. So I'm hoping that I've actually lost some of the fat too.

I was actually trying on my clothng last night for our cruise that leaves this Saturday. I have decided not to take anything that is a bit snug already. I never used to gain any weight on a cruise - because of all the added walking and stairs. However, the last couple of year's I've been having a problem with water retention - my feet and legs (body) blow up so they don't even look like mine. I have very small feet size 5 by the end of the cruise I have one pair of 61/2 sandal's that I was down to being able to wear.

This is only a 7 day cruise which should help and I did get a med script from the doctor in case I retain and blow up again.

I am going to take some of my own water this year as well. As maybe my body just react's differently to the desalinated water???

You're correct though I figure I'll most likely gain 4-5 lbs back. I just have to stay motivated to take it right back off when I get home. And, continue to loose more. :(

THANK YOU for reminding me I appreciate the support.

You might actually be reacting to the salt in the air, NOT the water! Between breathing in the moist salt air, and the salt air on your skin, that could be a problem. Seriously, before I started drinking water regularly, I used to swell up (fingers & ankles) whenever I went to the beach. Now - no problem whatsoever.

Even if you normally drink 8 glasses of water a day on land, you may have to drink even more while cruising. And like I said before, if you drink more alcohol than usual, that could add to the problem. One helpful hint - even before you leave the cabin in the AM - have a glass of water. I usually take a mug from the buffet & fill it with the melted ice from the ice bucket. Also, drink just water with your meals (as opposed to sodas, coffee, juices, etc.) Except for the occasional glass of wine with dinner& a caffeinated beverage in the AM, I save my alcohol & other drinks for when I can "enjoy the flavor".

I really don't think it's the water on board ship. Desalinated water is just that, water that has all the salt removed. If you do a search on cruise critic, you'll find several threads that deal with discussions of shipboard water. I always drink the ship water & have noticed no noticeable water retention.

I'm glad you're already planning ahead "in case" of weight gain or water retention! :p I usually keep my looser fitting clothes for later in the cruise, just in case, too. Although I've been very lucky - except for my last cruise (when I know I drank more alcohol), I've only gained a pound or so when cruising.

Have a great cruise!

Sha

I wondered if I somehow was getting the salt from the air of the ocean. I do drink water all the time - it is my drink of choice. I really enjoy water. I rarely ever drink soda. Once in a great while some coffee - it's water for me :)

Thanks for the encouragement - I you in the medical field? You seem to be very knowlegable about all this stuff.

I wondered if I somehow was getting the salt from the air of the ocean. I do drink water all the time - it is my drink of choice. I really enjoy water. I rarely ever drink soda. Once in a great while some coffee - it's water for me :)

Thanks for the encouragement - I you in the medical field? You seem to be very knowlegable about all this stuff.

Thanks for the compliment, but nope, I just read a lot (I love Prevention magazine!) & pay attention to facts that pertain to me & my weight loss journey. For years, I didn't 'get' the connection of getting puffy at the beach until I realized that when you breath in, the moist salt air is brought right into your bloodstream via your lungs! Of course, this was after I lost a bunch of weight & was drinking water regularly & I realized I WASN'T getting puffy anymore at the beach, that I put 2 + 2 together! :p

I've dieted & regained weight the wrong way for about 2/3 of my life! Now that I've finally figured it out - that it needs to be a way of life, for the rest of my life, not just a "lose it quick scheme" - it coincided with meeting lots of great people here on cruise critic that are also knowledgeable & are reinforcing my newfound resolve to focus on eating healthy & working our regularly, rather than trying to become skinny, which I know now is an unrealistic goal for me.

I've lost over 55lbs since 9/04 & I'm kinda "stuck" at losing & gaining the same 5lbs since January, but this time, it's OK. I'm not saying "I failed, so I might as well give up", like I've done in the past. I know now that even if I all I do is maintain this weight for the rest of my life, I'm WAY healthier than I was at 220! I'd like to lose 20 more, but if I don't I'm still not a failure. I've learned a lot of things & hit a lot of healthy milestones, just with eating right & exercising - no diet supplements, or meds for cholesterol or high blood pressure. :D

Right now, I think I'm a better "cheerleader" for others trying to lose & get healthy, but at some point I will refocus & start losing that next 20. But being here & passing on advice to you & others is really helpful to me too!

Sha

Hello everyone, This is it!!! I'm sure of it? Yes, its the first day of the rest of my life, and I'm joining you all in the attempt to lose weight. I've tried before, but after a few days, I just lose it. I'm going to listen to all of your suggestions and keep coming back to talk with you for encouragement. I basically want to get my eating under control and make better choices. I know alot is mind over matter, at least with me. If I eat too much in one meal, it becomes a day long mistake instead of just eating that one meal and continuing on. So that's where I will start.

Sounds to me like you've got the correct mind set - WAY TO GO!!!

Good luck with your efforts - keep up with that attitude and you'll attain your goal :)

THANK YOU SHA - you are a TERRIFIC cheerleader!!!

CONGRAT'S on your INCREDIBLE weight loss!!!

You can be very PROUD of yourself girl :D

Thanks, hugger! :o

Welcome WannaBeCruising!!! - I think you've definitely got the first step already - If you make a mistake & slip off your healthy WOE or WOEX (Way of Eating or Way of Exercising), DON'T let one mistake give you "permission" to mess up the whole day, or "wait til Monday" to restart. Then you just have that much more to "fix"! This needs to be a way of life, not just a "diet".

For me, planning ahead is key. I can control my food intake better if I know exactly what I'm eating & when. I make sure I have healthy choices in the house, so I shop carefully. We try to eat less prepared foods & more "real foods". That's not to say I don't buy frozen veggies (almost as good as fresh & easier to keep on hand) or bagged greens for salad. Just less stuff with artificial ingredients or added sodium & other "stuff" we don't need. Example - instead of buying the "fancy" rice mixes with the flavor packets, or the 90-second microwave rice, we make our own brown rice in a rice cooker, (worth every penny we spent - we use it 3-4x week!) with low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth & add exactly the spices we want (without all the sodium).

In the AM, I pack my food for the day (lunch, snacks), & always have a few extra snack bars on hand, "just in case" my schedule changes or I'm particularly hungry one day, so I'm not tempted to hit the snack machine or fast food. (Watch out for the bars high in saturated fat, esp the "high protein" bars - I prefer many of the Slim Fast or Kashi snack bars - the ones without chocolate usually have lower sat fat.)

Good luck!

Sha

Archived