Been on the Star lately? How's the food?

KauaiKris

I have read a number of reviews and opinions from December 2005 through May 2006 that indicate much of the food on the Star is substandard. I hear that items offered at the buffet are bizarre and unappealing, and that dining room food isn't all that great either. Is there anyone who has sailed on the star in the last few weeks that can offer an opinion? We sailed on celebrity last year and where very happy with all the food offered. I hope we are not disappointed on the Star. Thanks.

I have read a number of reviews and opinions from December 2005 through May 2006 that indicate much of the food on the Star is substandard. I hear that items offered at the buffet are bizarre and unappealing, and that dining room food isn't all that great either. Is there anyone who has sailed on the star in the last few weeks that can offer an opinion? We sailed on celebrity last year and where very happy with all the food offered. I hope we are not disappointed on the Star. Thanks.

Got off the star on Saturday and I thought the food was superb, always plenty, hot (or cold if necessary) something to suit every one. Im a fussy eater and gained 9 pounds!! I was in the Almafi dining room, but quite often had lunch in the horizon buffet, and loved it all. Enjoy the cruise, I did, am so sad to be home!!

We were also just off the Star in July. The food was good! We ate in the Amalfi dining room. The only things that wasn't quite up to Princess's usual standards were the souffles. This is usually one of my favorite things they do, but this time seemed cooked a little too long (or maybe too much egg). As usual, their pastas were excellent! We spent so much time away from the ship on this cruise that we didn't hardly see the buffet. There is always something good to eat on Princess. Don't worry.

We were on the Star in May 06. Dining room food was good to very good - we had anytime and ate in both dining rooms. Sabatini's menu was very good and we really enjoyed our dinner there. I am not a big fan of buffets on land. There is enough of a selection in the Horizon to take care of everyone. They do provide a wide range of foods to apeal to the diverse passengers they serve. Some items may not suit your tastes, but you can move on to another station. At-sea days and early sail away days mean that the Horizon is jam packed - people everywhere and not enough seats. (We were in the Baltics and the weather was on the colder side - so everyone ate indoors) The maitre'd s looked pannicked and went from place to place removing dishes/glasses that people just left by the pool, tables, etc. You have to keep in mind that Princess is marketing to the mass market now - this is the price you pay versus other more expensive cruise lines.

Dinning room service was very good even though we did not see the same waiters everynight. Because we moved around we did not get any special orders of pastas, proscuitto, etc that we had experienced on our last cruise. If you are in the same place each night, this will probably change for you. Or make an effort to make friends with he head waiters!

We were on the Star in August and had anytime dining. We all thought the food at dinner was from good to excellent. Although we would have preferred that there be more regional specialties from the Baltics as an option, I cannot recall a dinner entree that any of the four of us thought was anything less than good--and usually closer to the excellent level. And, the amount of food was staggering as our waiters (same table for same reserved time each night) kept bringing us extra additional meals so that we could sample things or huge servings of vegetables and pasta as side dishes.

The only specific negatives I can remember are: pastry desserts were substandard (which is fine as the ice cream was fantastic--although strangely, all the sorbets were substandard as well); and soups were all seemingly from the same starter stock no matter what the intended flavor. Otherwise, enjoy!

Now that is for the dining room at dinner. Horizon Court is another matter. Breakfast was 90-95% the same every day and not that great. We were on a Costa ship last October and I thought their breakfast buffet was much much better between the variety and the quality. Of course, the food at dinner on the Costa ship was far far below the level of the Star food we just had.

aaaah well, i always had coffee grapefruit and cereal in my room, and didnt have any desserts! I do agree with you on the regional foods, but they did have a wide variety of food any way. I have a sample menu from our formal eveining which I will try and scan and post somewhere for you.

Archived