Questions about final day on POA

WeR3Angels

OK - I am in need of direction when it comes to my final day.

On our last day of the cruise, we arrive in Honolulu at 7:00AM. We have a tour of Pearl Harbor at 8:30AM. This tour is 6 1/2 hours long. Our flight is not until 7:30PM, however, I am now wondering what do I do with my luggage. I didn't think about this at the time I made the reservation for the land tour.

I thought I read something about having the luggage collected the night before, however, can someone explain how this all works.

Thanks again.

Barb wer3angels@aol.com

We took the same tour when we were on the Star. You get a tour tag for your bags and sit them outside your door the night before. They take them down for you. The next morning you will meet with your tour group and all go down and get your bags together as you leave the ship. Your tour bus will be waiting outside. You take your bags to the bus with you and they store them on the bus for you. When you are dropped off at the airport they will sit them out on the sidewalk for you to collect. So basically you will have them with you all day.

Barb:

Like they said above, if you booked your tour through NCL, then they will take your luggage the night before with special "Tour" tags on them. You will disembark the ship with your tour group (and your carryon's) You will find your luggage at the pier and it will be put on whatever bus you are on. (it will tour with you!!) Then you will be taken to the airport after your tour. If you did not book with NCL, make sure that you get an early disembarkation tag color so that you can get your luggage before your tour and take it with you!!

Let me give you some info about Pearl Harbor since I just toured there last week. Security is extremely tight there. You cannot take any bags into the visitor's center or to the Memorial. They either have to be left on the bus or you can rent a small locker for $2.00. This includes fanny packs, backpacks, purses and camera bags....none are allowed!! (the only exception is camera cases that only fit the camera. My camera case had a little pouch on the front of it for extra film and I was not allowed to take it in.) Also, when you arrive at Pearl Harbor, you will get in a line and be given a ticket for movie & boat trip out to the Memorial. (they are free) By going at 8:30, you won't get to Pearl Harbor until after 9 and will probably not get a boat trip out until 1:00 p.m.. They start handing out the tickets at 7:30 a.m. and the first time slot is 7:45 (ticket #1). We got there at 7:10 and the line was long, we were given ticket #2 which was the 8:00 a.m. slot. By the time we got back from the Memorial at 9:00 a.m., they were already past the noon ticket times. (They say that they usually give out all tickets for the day by 10:30 a.m.) There is a museum and bookstore as well as a neat little park that you can check out while waiting for your trip out.

Thanks for all of the info. I did remember reading about the tight security at Pearl Harbor before, but wasn't realizing we would have our carry-on bags with us. Thanks for the tip.

When you went, did you have an NCL trip at 7AM? I just checked our schedule again and 8:30AM was the only time for Pearl Harbor unless you did the Duck Tour there, it was 9AM.

Should I assume that the 6 1/2 hours is mostly spent "waiting" ?

BTW - this trip also includes the USS Missouri - is that located on the other side of the harbor? I was there about 20 years ago, don't remember the USS Missouri but I am sure it was there.

THANKS AGAIN.

Barb :-) wer3angels@aol.com

Since we had a three day extension in Honolulu, we did not book any shore excursions through NCL since they are sooo much more expensive than booking them yourself through the tour companies. Our tour was the next day and they picked us up at 6:30 a.m. at our hotel.

You have the Missouri included, now that makes a little more sense: we also did the Missouri, but our Missouri tour was after the Arizona Memorial. I talked to someone who had a later Arizona/Missouri tour and what their tour operator did was take them to the Arizona and they got tickets (for something like 1:00 p.m.) and then the tour driver took them to the Missouri shuttle. They took the Missouri trolley over and toured the Missouri and then came back when it was time for their Arizona tour. That is probably what you will do. The Missouri trolley is just across the parking lot from the Arizona Memorial Visitor's Center.

About the Missouri: The Missouri is docked in front of the Arizona wreckage but is only assesible by way of Ford Island. Ford Island is an active military base so no tour busses or private vehicles are allowed. You will board a special trolley and it will take you through the security gate and over the bridge to Ford Island and the Missouri. You are restricted to only the Missouri area. You then take the trolley back to the pick-up point when you are ready. The trolley's run about every 15 minutes. I purchased some books at the Arizona Memorial and was allowed to take them to the Missouri, but I am not sure if what you purchase at the Missouri can be taken to the Arizona. Another note about the Missouri: don't daddle as you tour her and don't waste time in the snack bar, gift shop or photo area. She is a big ship with a lot of areas open to the public. It takes a lonnng time to get through her. We had two and a half hours and didn't get to see it all!!

Jeconk,

THANK YOU for all of the information you have provided to me. It has been most helpful. I am trying to go with the attitude, it sure beats staying home and cleaning the house.

I am generally a pretty optimistic person so if I have a really bad time, it is because I allowed it to happen. I just can't imagine going to Hawaii and not falling in love with it.

I was in Hawaii about 20 years ago with a girl friend and we were both single. We had a blast. Now I am going with the love of my life - what could be better.

Thanks again - I will make sure I post upon my return.

Barb :-)

I was finally able to reach NCL shore excursions and they only had 1/2 of the tours available - SO - I canceled the rest. Decided to just rent a car for each island.

NOW - I have everything arranged with the exception of that LAST DAY. Since our Pearl Harbor/USS Missouri was one of the tours we did NOT receive, I am back to square on with this. Actually, after reading someone's review that they were going to miss their flight if they took their Pearl Harbor tour, made me wonder if that tour was not being offered.

Any suggestions on the best way to handle this day since we will have our luggage with us? Our flight is not until 7:30PM so we could take our bags to the airport, check our big ones, put the carry ons in a locker and then find a tour from there. Although, it appears that most of the Pearl Harbor Tours start early 6 - 7AM. With our ship docking at 7AM - never know what time that means we will be off of the boat.

Another option would be to rent a car and do whatever we want for the day. Is it hectic trying to go to Pearl Harbor on your own?

I am open to any suggestions - you guys have been the greatest of help for a Newbie like me. I will be taking notes and reporting back as soon as I return.

Thanks again.

Barb :rolleyes:

Barb: The disembarkation begins at something like 8:00 a.m.. It is all color coded. You can request early disembarkation color if you have something to do. ACC has a good idea, but the problem would be getting the car to the pier. Believe me, the pier area is very congested with all of the busses and taxis going all over the place. I'm also not sure the car companies will pick you up at the pier. Here is one suggestion, although it could be pricey: Take a taxi (there are many at the pier waiting) to the airport OR a car rental office (that you have already made arrangements with). Then take the car to wherever you want to go. Just make sure to schedule your car dropoff at the airport. Still, even doing this, you are looking at 10:30 probably before getting to Pearl Harbor and that would be pushing it for the Ariziona. You could still do the Missouri and maybe the Arizona.

What time is your flight again?

Maybe you could call the tour companies direct and they might arrange pick-up at the pier or some other close location. We used Discover Hawaii Tours and they are great, but I don't know if they would pick you up at the pier. I think 9:00 a.m. just to be safe. Other companies are Roberts Hawaii and Polynesian Adventure Tours. I'm sure there are others. Again, I'm not sure they would take you to the airport though.

I will keep thinking on this one.

The rental car companies DO NOT pick you up at Aloha tower. We took a cab to the airport to get our rental. It was a short ride and cheap fare. We had the car and on our way by 915-930A.

Get red and white or black and white baggage tags. They are first off!!

We did take rental car shuttles both times that we did this. They picked us up in front of Aloha Tower. Once we went to Waikiki to get the car and dropped it at the airport. There was no additional fee. One thing we learned in Hawaii is that the rental companies almost always told us we would have to take a cab to the airport and then they were at the pier. There is a lot of wrong information from them and you have nothing else to rely on when making arrangements. I've learned to have them put me directly through to the local agency. Sometimes that helps. I agree that it is best to arrange for the rental ahead of time.

Jeconk: My return home flight is not until 7:30PM.

I do have transfers to and from the airport that were purchased with my original Cruise pack from NCL. (My TA told me there was nothing available - went to NCL website and found exactly what we were looking for - probably paid more but now I know for the future)

Since I have this transfer, I was thinking that perhaps I should take it to the airport, check my baggage, put the carry-on in a locker there and then get a tour to and from the airport. I came across a tour called VIP transportation located at the airport but have to phone them for more details.

If disembarkation begins at 8AM, how long does it take to get off and what is involved? If they take your luggage the night before, put everything on a charge account - can you checkout on the TV?

I can't wait to see all of this for myself - so I can help others in the future as you have helped me with this. :-)

Thanks again.

Barb :-)

Guest nhrich

Barb,

Since 9/11 l do not believe there are lockers at any U.S. airports. Also, many airlines do not accept checked bags more than 4 hours before the flight. I'd suggest seeing if you can sell the transfers to someone else on your cruise (if they won't take them back at the Purser's desk) and rent a car for the day.

Enjoy your cruise!

Rich

Archived