Dolphin Encounter in Cozmuel

Gingee

Has anyone done the cozmuel Dolphin Encounter (The $75 on their web site program) and if so, who did you book with, how was it, etc.?

Sorry about the wrong post in Curaco.

Thanks

Dolphin Discovery has a web site http://www.dolphindiscovery.com which covers their different encounters. They have a big variety of encounters. I'd book directly with them myself.

I booked through http://CozumelInsider.com, and I've found them to be very helpful. I have bombarded them with many questions, both before and after booking, and they have always been quick to respond, with accurate information. The folks there seem to have a genuine interest in their customers getting the most out of their visit to Cozumel.

From what I understand, when you deal with Dolphin Discovery "directly", you are in fact dealing with someone in the mainland USA, not someone who is actually in Cozumel. This can make a difference, when you need info on something specific.

For example, I read an online article that stated that Dolphin Discovery had been closed due to non-payment of a government fee. Some other posters on this board contacted Dolphin Discovery, who had not even heard about it. I got an answer from the folks at Cozumel Insider.com the next morning (my email was sent very late at night) with the true facts, which they were able to obtain easily, since they are there. (it turns out that it was a couple of dive shops that had a problem, and that was cleared up rather quickly. There was never a problem with the dolphin program). I know if there were a challenge with something when I was at Cozumel, I would want to know that there was someone actually there who could help resolve it.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. I am in the service industry myself, and I place a huge value on people who are willing to help, and that is what I have found with CozumelInsider.com.

From what I understand, when you deal with Dolphin Discovery "directly", you are in fact dealing with someone in the mainland USA, not someone who is actually in Cozumel. This can make a difference, when you need info on something specific.

For what it's worth: Last time I booked I made reservations over the internet. I did call to confirm things and then, later, change my reservation and I beleive I talked to someone at the facility in Mexico. I think one time I called a mexican number - but that might have been the first time back in 2000 so things might have changed since.

I also had problems when trying to book directly through Dolphin Discovery. They took so long to answer emails and sometimes didn't answer them at all! I believe they are on the mainland in Mexico and not in Cozumel. Sherri at cozumelinsider.com was VERY helpful and was always very quick in answering my emails. She is right in Cozumel so she knows what is going on at the Dolphin Discover in Cozumel, where as the people on the mainland schedule for the Dolphin Discovery in other places as well.

I also had problems when trying to book directly through Dolphin Discovery. They took so long to answer emails and sometimes didn't answer them at all! I believe they are on the mainland in Mexico and not in Cozumel. Sherri at cozumelinsider.com was VERY helpful and was always very quick in answering my emails. She is right in Cozumel so she knows what is going on at the Dolphin Discover in Cozumel, where as the people on the mainland schedule for the Dolphin Discovery in other places as well.

Pardon my typical American arrogance. I remember reading that they were 'on the mainland', so in my mind, that meant the U.S. It never occured to me that 'the mainland' would be MX.

:rolleyes:

We did the Dolphin Encounter 2 yrs ago, booked through our cruiseline (RCL) for $99 pp. The park is about a 10 min. cab ride or less from the pier, depending on which pier you're at. It was raining pretty hard when we went, but you get wet anyway, right? We were in a large pen at chest-level water wearing lifejackets, and the dolphin did several passes in front of us. We got to touch it, the trainer talked about dolphins and dolphin training, and then each person gave the dolphin a "kiss" for the photographer. Great close-up pictures -- well worth whatever we paid (the pictures were available in the gift shop after the encounter). The park had a nice small beach where my husband did a snuba excursion through the ship. It would have been nice to explore the park after the excursion, but it was raining pretty hard by then. The Dolphin Swim was in a pen right next to the Encounter, and also looked like a lot of fun. One of my kids is the hesitant-type, so the Encounter was enough for his 1st time. The price difference between booking it directly and booking through the ship with transportation was pretty insignificant 2 years ago. Since it had sold out on several other cruises by the time we had boarded, we had booked the excursion on-line as soon as possible. Hope this is helpful!

Archived