is it far b/n Half Moon Bay and Tabyana?

curlycruiser

can you walk? I was thinking of hiring a taxi for the day to take us to the South shore canopy tour and then going to either Tabyana or Half Moon's beach for the day. I would like to snorkel at both. Not sure which beach to plop down at for the day but would like to walk over to the other to check out the snorkeling. I read that Half Moon has an open air bar, is it on the beach? Does Tabyana have one or is it just the waiters? I have also read West Bay has excellent snorkeling but not a great beach?

Some of the info you've gathered is ok, some inaccurate, some you've confused or misinterpreted. As a quick overview:

Tabiyana is a small section of a much larger beach area known as West Bay beach. WBB is very, very pretty; it is roughly 1/2 to 3/4 mile of white sand beach, blue water, lined iwth palm trees. It is generally considered one of, if not the, nicest beaches on the island. There is a very nice snorkel area at WBB, at the far western end where the sand turns into iron shore (rock).

Tabiyana Beach Resort is a small section of this beach; it is a private resort & its facilities can only be used on cruise days if you book the tour through your cruise line. They feed you, they have beach chairs, drinks, bathrooms, showers, etc.

Along West Bay beach, there are numerous other bars, restaurants, etc. Some do "cruise beach days" for a fee, some simply are open to the public for eating & drinking.

Half Moon Bay is in a nearby community known as West End. The community includes a number of shops, bars, restaurants, and scuba diving shops. There is a beach area there; it's nice but not as nice as WBB. Most of the bars/restaurants are open air, facing the water, some built over the water. A couple are built on the beach area or have chairs & umbrellas on the beach area.

You can walk from WB to WE; it is roughly a 1/2 hour stroll. There is a thread on here re whether it is safe. I've never had problems during the day but would not walk it at night as it is very dark & secluded. To me, the best way from WB to WE (or vice versa) is by "water taxi." Basically some small boats that run back & forth; they charge maybe $2 each way, something like that. Nice ride, & you get to see the pretty views of the island from out in the water.

On cruise days, it can sometimes be hard to find taxis; I've found it harder from WB than from WE. If I were planning what you want to do, I'd have the taxi drop me off at West Bay, see the beach there & snorkel some, then catch a water taxi to West End. Spend your time there, then catch a taxi back to the cruise dock (best place to catch the taxi would be at the spot where the paved road turns to dirt, that tends to be a drop off point & a spot where the taxis congregate waiting for riders).

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

SeaPA1 I completely agree with you (nice write up by the way) about everything you wrote but the last part about where to catch a taxi. They congregate there to charge extra for unknowing tourist. Walk out to the main road and catch a passing taxi heading into town. These drivers typically don't speak English and don't take the tourist for extra money. Always find out cost before getting in. When I (I look like a tourist) go from West End to West Bay they want $10 minimum (some try for more) but if I walk to the road (about 1.5 minutes farther) I can get the same taxi ride for $3. May not be an issue on your one day in Roatan but it adds up for me as I take taxis alot when I am there. Also please negotiate hard with these guys who sit in West End. They need some price checking if you know what I mean.

Another option is to go through Victor Bodden Tours & have a car & driver for the day. We did this & it was wonderful! Victor has a website. We paid $100 for 2 but no money due until after your day is over. Victor met us at the dock & introduced us to our driver. They will take you anywhere you want to go & wait for you. Will make recommendations too. We learned alot from our driver. He was a very nice guy who spoke perfect English. Can't go wrong going through Victor. We'll do so next time. Have a great trip!

Thanks for all info but I have more questions.

About how much for taxi if we do a little shopping first (west end) then water taxi to beach and snorkle at west bay, then back to ship?

I'm trying to figure out if this would better or just hire drive for day which is 40 ea since there is only 2 of us. the 2 3$ fares arent much but how much should taxi be from ship to west end? we mostly want to beach and snorkle. Some cc mates are doing Fosters lobster lunch 35$ tranportation included and and we are considering this too. they also have day pass 20. with a boat trip for snorkling extra 20. It sounds like off shore snorkling is good at spot recommended.

Archived