Texas Resident bringing Liquor from FL port

ksat

Are Texas residents still limited to 2 bottles of liquor to bring back when returning to a Florida port? This is my 4th cruise but have always sailed from Galveston. I know we are limited here by our ridiculous laws but didn't know if it applied in other ports. I really enjoy and appreciate all the info I get from this board.

The Texas law is for bringing liquor into Texas. The regular federal laws apply for bringing it into Florida - the problem arises when you bring it into TX on the way home. Obviously, customs isn't going to be searching your bag when you get into TX, so you should be able to bring back whatever the federal law is. Technically, though, they could confiscate anything you bring over the border that exceeds that limit you run into when sailing from Galveston if they find it.

As long as you enter the country in a port that is not in Texas, you are fine and are only bound by the federal customs laws. TABC has no jurisdiction in terms of imposing importation limits on alcohol that was imported into another state and carried into Texas.

And the federal laws only dictate the amount that can be brought back tax free - I know of no physical limit in general.

As long as you enter the country in a port that is not in Texas, you are fine and are only bound by the federal customs laws. TABC has no jurisdiction in terms of imposing importation limits on alcohol that was imported into another state and carried into Texas.

Archived