2008 Circle Africa

jig

Thank you Karen for the link. The intinerary is fabulous. I am not sure I could afford the VISAS, let alone the cruise

It's fun to dream, isn't it, Hammy? And dreaming doesn't cost a cent.:) Besides, I've got some pretty good itineraries coming up on my radar, so I hardly consider myself a deprived creature.;) And thanks to so many posters here, like Grumpy and Ruth and others, we get to go along with them on their voyages.

Karin

Thank you Karen for the link. The intinerary is fabulous. I am not sure I could afford the VISAS, let alone the cruise

hammybee, yes the visas are expensive. We are doing The Taste of Two Continents in mid-October. We go down the west coast of Africa with stops in Cameroon, Benin, Gambia, Ghana, Namibia, Gabon, Senegal, etc. Five visas are required. The five visas cost us $1350 for the two of us, including the agency fee for getting the visas. The photos cost us about 100 dollars for the two of us; one country wants four photos per person. Additionally the tours are in general more expensive than tours on other cruises we have taken. A half day tour in Ghana will cost us 135 per person—no food included. Most of the tours we are taking cost over a hundred per person; some over 150. So the base price for the cruise is only the beginning. Expect to spend lots more if you sign on.

hammybee, yes the visas are expensive. We are doing The Taste of Two Continents in mid-October. We go down the west coast of Africa with stops in Cameroon, Benin, Gambia, Ghana, Namibia, Gabon, Senegal, etc. Five visas are required. The five visas cost us $1350 for the two of us, including the agency fee for getting the visas. The photos cost us about 100 dollars for the two of us; one country wants four photos per person. Additionally the tours are in general more expensive than tours on other cruises we have taken. A half day tour in Ghana will cost us 135 per person—no food included. Most of the tours we are taking cost over a hundred per person; some over 150. So the base price for the cruise is only the beginning. Expect to spend lots more if you sign on.

The Taste of Two Continents is a fabulous intinerary. The price was not out of line and I dug into the costs of shore excursions and visas which put it over the top for me, for now. Please give us a report upon your return.

Yes, we are looking forward to the wonderful places we will visit. The itinerary is splendid!

Also we have a small, but very active group of CCers going. We are all meeting up before dinner on the first evening, informally, and we have a regular meet and greet set up through the HAL Special Services Office on the first sea day. We leave in just about a month. My main concern at this point is setting up an absentee ballot for the November election. We have all our visas in place.

Are there any others who are going on the October 07 Prinsendam Taste of Two Continents and who have not signed on to our thread? Please check our thread and plan to join us.

Blue Whale has done so much to make the Two Continents trip a success for us. I wish she would look at this Africa sojourn. The Africa trip really makes my heart skip a beat. I know she will be off on the World Cruise, along with others, but it is the circle Africa that gets my attention! Will it materialize for me? I wonder! Right now I'm in the throws of changing our airline tickets for the Two Continents trip due to the routing of our current tickets through LHR, what will it be by 2008? Isn't it always something unforeseen? I don't know if I could make it through another round of Visas like West Africa required. For now I'll just dream on. But thanks, middle-aged mom, you always get the good ones to show us.

• 4 months later...

Hello AWED...

Saw your post from December. We just booked the Grand Africa 2008, also. I am not sure when the shock will wear off ! This is a MAJOR undertaking ! The itinerary was something I've never seen in many years of cruising. Next step is getting prepared for the cost of visas !

Let's stay in touch...

That looks like a really nice cruise.

The Penthouse is still available. Sorry, Early AND Late seating are waitlisted. I'm sure if you book the Penthouse at 109K pp you can get your choice of seatings.

Hey, we are dreaming right?

The Penthouse is still available. Sorry, Early AND Late seating are waitlisted. I'm sure if you book the Penthouse at 109K pp you can get your choice of seatings.

Hey, we are dreaming right?

LOL ... no, you can't have the penthouse. I already booked it ... in my dreams, of course. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived