Mariner Alaska Seward to Vancouver

allsalt

We just returned from the Alaska cruise on the Mariner 6/30/2004 from Seward to Vancouver. Was only our second cruise ever, and it was far better than we even dreamed! Can't wait to take another Radisson cruise. Food and service was outstanding, wine flowed without end...even received Port for free at dinner every night (which we are very fond of).

Our every wish was granted....We didn't want a second bottle of liquer so asked for Bailey's which wasn't on the list and there it was upon our return to the cabin later the first night. Wonderful service in the cabin...We were in 852 but really could have taken the least expensive suite and would have been just as happy. Our friends were on level 10 and there didn't seem to be any difference in the cabins other than their cost was higher.

We took MANY shore excursions and they too were fantastic. By booking constant excursions we were able to have the luxury of the big ship, but the closeness to the sights of the small ship. Be glad to tell anyone about these if interested. AND, we did get to do the dogsledding trip out of Skagway, which was cancelled in Juneau...apparently the one in Skagway runs more often due to the better and lower location of the dog camp. A great experience! Our other trips allowed us to see bears playing on shore, puffins and other sea birds, seals, many, many eagles, humpbacks surface feeding, and orcas (but only the top of the fin).

Husband gets very seasick and wore a patch which worked quite well for the entire trip. Gulf of Alaska is a bit rough with rocking and we think he would have been sick without the patch. Other cruisers told us they sought out the medical office for medication, but it made them very sleepy.

The only criticism I had of the whole experience was the musical entertainment (the comic was quite funny, so that isn't the problem). The show in the afternoon on the last cruising day was seriously bad...almost insultingly bad! The talent was there, but the format of the show was just silly. They did opera pieces really poorly, Gilbert and Sullivan which was ok, and very bad dancing, except the tap which was viewable. I expected at least a show in good taste given the quality of the rest of the experience. But it was of small consequence since everything else was an A+.

allsalt,

Welcome back! We took that same cruise starting on June16th. We loved Kenny Smiles, the Welsh Comedian. Is that the same one you had? What dancers/singers were there - was it the Peter Grey Terhune group? (Not sure I spelled that correctly.) We really enjoyed them.

We had a wonderful cruise also and have already booked a Radisson cruise for next summer. Glad to hear you had a great time.

Ginny

Hi allsalt,

My wife and I took the Mariner from L.A. to Vancouver, BC in May 2004 as she repositioned up to the Alaska area for the summer.

I quite agree with you for the most part of the entertainment comments........In my opinion Kenny Smiles was just ok on his first night and was better entertainment on his last night.....I did quite like some of the young staff people with their broadway entertainment.........but the other entertainment was truly sad and the Mariner is desperatly in need of a new entertainment director.......my opinion.....it is boring beyond belief........

RSSC.........you are an amazing cruise line......you do so many things so well.........some of your entertainment is great...........some of it is truly terrible. I have decided to send a message about this (for what it is worth) to RSSC.

Carnival cannot carry your water in terms of service and food and excellence as a total..........and I love you as the best cruise line ever .......but please send a secret person from RSSC to cruise on a Carnival Cruise Lines or other lines to get an idea as to what you might do for entertainment.....they can teach you a great deal.....

I love you RSSC....sorry to be critical.....just trying to improve you in my opinon....

Sorry allsalt, I ended up preaching.....

Dwight

So. Calif.

Archived