Which Berlin Train Station?

snapdogs

I'm in the early process of planning for a 2007 Baltic cruise on the Star Princess. I'm weighing my options for The Warnemunde/Berlin day and definitely want to make the trek to Berlin. I don't want to take a full ship excursion, but am considering the "Berlin on Your Own" package where you ride the same train as those on the full excursions and can then do what you wish in the city before the train departs. Can anyone tell me what station this train drops you at in Berlin and approximately how much time I could expect to have on my own before needing to return to the ship?

Thank you.

Although this is not quite what you asked, be aware that Berlin is building/has built a new central train station. It is located between the Zoo station and the Ostbahnhof--I don't remember the name. You may want to go to www.bahn.de to see if they show when that station will be open, and then monitor Princess' shore excursion site to see if they have to use the new one.

If the excursion train uses any of the three above-mentioned stations, they are connected by train, so you would not lose much time if you plan for one of them and wind up arriving at another. You might also use the trip planner www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de to see if a regular train from Warnemuende/Rostock (which are connected by a 25 minute S-Bahn trip) could get you there faster, or in more comfort. Also, it seems there are times when ships dock at the Warnemuende pier, and on some itineraries, dock in Rostock!

I spent 8 days on a land vacation in Berlin and vicinity last October and found it a very exciting place to visit--there are many different types of sights and events, so it doesn't have to be all museums and churches/synagogues. If your cruise begins or ends in Copenhagen, you might consider going to Berlin/Dresden/Leipzig from there and spending more time. If you check some of the European budget airlines, you'll find some amazingly low fares for that trip. I think there is a site called www.whichbudget.com or similar, which can give links to these airlines, since they won't show up on Expedia. I did the Baltic cruise this July 29 on Constellation, but stayed in W/R the day we were there--you might look at the roll-calls for other ships that went to the Baltics this summer to get some ideas about the cities and tours.

Happy Cruising.

Although this is not quite what you asked, be aware that Berlin is building/has built a new central train station. It is located between the Zoo station and the Ostbahnhof--I don't remember the name. You may want to go to www.bahn.de to see if they show when that station will be open, and then monitor Princess' shore excursion site to see if they have to use the new one.
It's open. It's the Berlin Hauptbahnhof (= "main/chief train station", often abbreviated to Berlin Hbf) - an earlier post is here.

I did a similar thing with Celebrity. I found out the Berlin train station in advance and arranged for a tour guide to meet us there. Just as a precaution, I asked the ship excursion desk on board a few days in advance to confirm the arrival station. To my surprise, the station had changed. I was able to email the tour guide and let him know, so it worked out. But just be warned to verify the location! Things can change.

• 2 weeks later...

Aqua.....did you use a company to prebook your guide to Berlin? Was it worth it? How did you spend the day?

Thanks for your help in advance. We are going next June on Celebrity and are trying to decide the best thing to do as far as Berlin is concerned.

Pat

Aqua.....did you use a company to prebook your guide to Berlin? Was it worth it? How did you spend the day?

Thanks for your help in advance. We are going next June on Celebrity and are trying to decide the best thing to do as far as Berlin is concerned.

Pat

OOps...sorry double post

Archived