Glory 9/2-9/9

OHTERRY

Had a wonderful time on the Glory. Would go again if I have the opportunity. Overall the staff was friendly, courteous and always helpful. They were a very hardworking staff. The food was very good. If there was something we didn't like it was just a wrong food choice for us. I'll try to go through the cruise by topics.

Embarkation-We arrived the day before and stayed at the Orlando Marriott. Very nice accommodations. Courteous staff. They have a free shuttle from he airport to the hotel. Used the courtesy phone and they were there within minutes. The next day took the 10 AM shuttle back to the airport to pick up the Mears shuttle to Pt. Canaveral. I was apprehensive that this process would be very confusing but it wasn't. We were pulling out of the airport at 10:45 and arrived at the port at 11:25. Embarkation went smoothly and quickly even though the line wrapped around the building. We were on board by 12:30 eating at the buffet. Rooms aren't ready til 1:30 but were allowed to put some carry-ons in the closet. Our luggage arrived prior to dining (6:15 seating) so we were able to change.

Dining-We were assigned the Golden Dining Room (lower) main seating. The service was excellent and they had many choices on the menu. Can order as much as you want. We ate at the buffet for lunch only twice and noticed that there were always tables available and the staff was there to clear the tables whenever our plate was empty! The pizza was very good, the grill items were good. We didn't really care for the fish and chips. Thought they were too greasy. Never ate at the deli or Oriental. Room service was prompt in the morning for coffee and Danish. There is open seating every morning in the Platinum DR and also for lunch but only on sea days. They seemed to be generous with drinks and appetizers at the Captain's party.

Entertainment-Our party went to every main show. All were very good. They did have problems with the soundboard for the first big production and could not fix it but it was at the very end of the show anyway. Comedians were very funny but they are R rated and they warn parents in the Capers as well prior to the shows.

Excursions-Had 3 tours booked. They were ok. However, our ship was docked the farthest from town in Nassau. There were many people complaining that they could not walk to the terminal bldg. There were several that obviously needed assistance as they had walkers, canes, etc. Due to security they cannot bring cabs, shuttles into that area. However, there is one shuttle that is allowed to come in but didn't seem to be advertised. Just watch for it. It's free and they don't accept tips. That will take you closer to the terminal bldg. It appeared that some passengers were left in Nassau. Saw a lady trying to wave the ship down after we pulled out. Someone told me later 5 passengers were left behind!

Cabins-We had a balcony on the 8th deck. Very nice! Lots of room and a lot of storage space. The laundromat was across the way. Many people took advantage of that. Also, have an iron and ironing board. The beds are truly the most comfortable I have ever been in!

Disembarkation-Went smoothly. If you can handle your luggage do self-assist. Gets you off the ship sooner. We didn't and waited 50 minutes for our luggage. However, that is usually our luck. Our luggage was the last getting off the shuttle! Some people walked in and found their luggage immediately. They have carousels in this terminal. However, if we had been another hr. later we would have seen the Space Shuttle take off. We were inside the airport by then.

My only complaint-Fellow passengers who can't seem to follow directions re: paperwork completion, standing in stairwells and areas on disembarkation day when they have been told not to be there, and leaving dirty dishes in elevators, hallways, etc.!

Have a good time to anyone sailing on the Glory! Wish I was going again. Any questions?

It appeared that some passengers were left in Nassau. Saw a lady trying to wave the ship down after we pulled out. Someone told me later 5 passengers were left behind!

We were also on the 9/2/06 Glory sailing and had a great time!

We met one of the couples that was left behind in Nassau, out on deck on Friday. She said she looked at her itinerary wrong and thought we were in Nassau until 6:00 p.m. They were at Paradise Island and saw the ship getting ready to leave. They and 2 other couples (they were not traveling together, but met up in a panic at the pier) all ran for it, but the ship could not come back and the Pilot boat couldn't take them to the ship, due to Maritime Law.

They were told they had 3 options (stay in Nassau, return to the US or return to the US and fly to St Thomas and meet the ship). They all picked option 3 and spent over $500 per person for plane fare. They stayed at a dive motel in Miami, but one of the couples had some kind of timeshare deal and they stayed at a beautiful resort in St Thomas during our day at sea. The couple we met didn't have any ID with them, but did have a credit card. No problem with airport security in the Bahamas, but put through a bunch of x-rays and inspections in Miami.

They said they were glad they were all stranded together, as it cut down on the anger and crying, since they were in it together. They also said they all felt like family now, after this big adventure.

Now we know what happens when you miss the ship!

We went to the aft pool. It has 1 pool as well as 2 hot tubs. We would venture out on sea days at about 10 AM. There were 4 of us and we had no trouble finding 4 chairs together. At that time there would only be a max of about 4 people in the pool. The hot tubs(temp. was comfy-not real hot) only had several people in the AM. There seemed to be a lot of deck chairs stacked up and I saw people pulling them around to where they wanted to sit. In the afternoon when we would walk by seemed to have lots of people in the pool just standing. The main pool area seemed crowded although I did see empty chairs at times. There is a hot tub in the spa area. We never did use it but a lot of people don't know about it. You do not have to use the spa services to utilize it. Towels are in your cabins and remember to bring them back and your steward will replace them for the next day.

Archived