Warming Up For Alaska: Clothing

tapia

I know we have had a lot of discussion on what to wear and what to bring to Alaska............

I'm looking for something that I can wear under my clothes and keep me warm. Has anyone ever heard of coldgear?

*Yes, I'm a wimp*

Anyway, if you go to google and type it in, it will come up. Supposedly, it's supposed to keep the moisture away from your body and warm.

Although, I've heard : "The shirt and pants work well to wick moisture away from my body however fail miserably keeping me warm. The cold penetrates it very easily. I think it is an excellent base layer however I am like the other reviewer who doesn't understand how people can attribute insulating qualities to the cold gear. "

Does anyone have something like this or used Coldgear?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

There is a brand of long underwear called Cuddl Duds. Penneys sells it, in fact it is all on sale right now. Also have seen a less expensive brand, can't remember the name, at K-Mart. Its very comfortable, soft, and works well to keep you warm.

Also you can do a search for "Polypropylene" at sporting gear stores. It keeps moisture away from the skin, keeping you cool and dry.

Thanks for responding.

Cuddl Duds looks good--but, I'm not sure if they're just an extra layer to go under. As it is made of some cotton & not "Polypropylene" or some kind of material like that, will they truly keep you warm?

Have you used them?

Thank you!

Wal-Mart,Belk's & Kohl's all have their own brand for less $$. I got Hanes because I'm tall & had a length problem. Until I was packing this wk I could have sworn I had the Sonoma brand from Kohl's! Have a friend who lived in Anchorage & she swears by them! Blk, white & Bge. Blk looks like a tee & I plan on wearing them most days..not hot but keep you warm!

I know we have had a lot of discussion on what to wear and what to bring to Alaska............

I'm looking for something that I can wear under my clothes and keep me warm. Has anyone ever heard of coldgear?

*Yes, I'm a wimp*

Anyway, if you go to google and type it in, it will come up. Supposedly, it's supposed to keep the moisture away from your body and warm.

Although, I've heard : "The shirt and pants work well to wick moisture away from my body however fail miserably keeping me warm. The cold penetrates it very easily. I think it is an excellent base layer however I am like the other reviewer who doesn't understand how people can attribute insulating qualities to the cold gear. "

Does anyone have something like this or used Coldgear?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Also, while considering inner wear, think about making sure your outer wear will keep you dry in constant rain conditions. It was about 53 degrees in Juneau and everyone was cold except me. The difference? My very thin, knee length jacket was completely waterproof. We all had on thin jackets, jacket and t underneath and jeans. Everyone else's jackets soaked through with the constant rain.

I will be heading to Kohl's to get the brand. It's called Sonoma? *going this weekend!* What does "Blk looks like a tee" mean?

I may go for Cuddl Duds too!

@ Deb in Cali: Isn't UnderArmor Coldgear? I'd buy it, but I hear it's good for athletes & if you're moving around. (soaks the water/sweat). Is it good for other people that aren't active??

Thanks IMACRUZRNOW! I hear Frogg Toggs are good for a lightweight jacket. But, I'm not sure if that will keep me warm enough & I should go for a heavier jacket.........What was your jacket?

Cuddle Duds are the way to go, I live in North Dakota so I am quite familiar with not only cold weather but wet and rainy weather in the spring and fall. I am planning on investing in another gortex jacket for our Alaskan trip, I know from experience that goretex does keep you dry, it cuts down on the wind but mine right now is this ugly camo color and there is no way I am wearing it in Alaska so I will be investing into a new black jacket and will also spring for the goretex pants, yes expensive but unlike others I know I will get my use out of them throughout our cold springs and falls when I am sitting in the boat trying to catch some fish.

Cuddle Duds are the way to go, I live in North Dakota so I am quite familiar with not only cold weather but wet and rainy weather in the spring and fall. I am planning on investing in another gortex jacket for our Alaskan trip, I know from experience that goretex does keep you dry, it cuts down on the wind but mine right now is this ugly camo color and there is no way I am wearing it in Alaska so I will be investing into a new black jacket and will also spring for the goretex pants, yes expensive but unlike others I know I will get my use out of them throughout our cold springs and falls when I am sitting in the boat trying to catch some fish.

Okay, I'm sold on the Cuddl Duds! Thanks! Any good places to order them on-line?

Also, do you know a place to try on these jackets: Frogg Toggs, Goretex, Lands End 3 in 1--I'd like to at least try them on & see if they're good before I spend them $ & just order on-line. Maybe a Macys or something has all kinds of them? I think I just want some honest opinions on what people have actually used and wear (that work well).

I would order the "coldgear" or underarmor, but I don't know anyone that have used it and it actually works (in non-sports conditions).

I just want to be warm :-)

Depending on where you live a good sporting store that carries fishing gear or hunting gear would have goretex clothing to try on. At one time Sears carried Lands End but I am not sure that they have the jackets there. I agree on trying stuff on, I need to have my clothing large enough so that I can layer...good luck shopping.

I completely understand. The closest good sporting / fishing / hunting store is about 1 hour away. So, I really don't want to go there unless I have to. At least if I have an idea of what I'm looking for before I go, then I can get things accomplished. (there is a close sports authority, but I'm not sure if that would be good or not.....)

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks IMACRUZRNOW! I hear Frogg Toggs are good for a lightweight jacket. But, I'm not sure if that will keep me warm enough & I should go for a heavier jacket.........What was your jacket?

I purchased mine from a women's clothing catalog called weekenders. So it was stylish enough to wear on the ship too. It wasn't lined at all. I recommend that because while it was often drizzly, it wasn't always cold (and I get cold easy too), and when its cold you can layer. It took up almost no suitcase space.

Do you think you don't need a lined coat for Alaska?

I understand the thoughts of layering, but I really don't want to be cold.

Is there a 'coat' one could buy that has removable lining?

I really would like something wind & water resistant as well.

Here's what I packed in the way of jackets (for day wear). Thin black waterproof jacket, Thick fleece hooded jacket, and a few sweaters and t-s. The hoody was perfect for am hours that weren't rainy (I could add the sweater or t depending on the temp). I could were all 4 layers for really cold times (only two for me...sawyer glacier on my balcony and Juneau hiking around mendenhall glacier visitor center.)

We traveled for 10 days (stayed in vancouver front and back). Luggage space was at a premium for me. If you can swing it and are concerned about being cold, then take a lined jacket. Better to over pack than to under pack is always my motto :D

Maybe it's possible to get a jacket (thin, waterproof, windproof) that has a removable fleece layer--anyone ever see any of those? I guess I could just get 2 (a wind-proof, waterproof, lightweigh on top & the fleece on bottom). You're right, luggage space will be at a premium since I'm traveling for 15 days. I really have to be careful on what I pack. (& it can't be much since I have to drag it around with me). What kind of fleece jacket did you get?

I will be heading to Kohl's to get the brand. It's called Sonoma? *going this weekend!* What does "Blk looks like a tee" mean?

I may go for Cuddl Duds too!

Sonoma is Kohl's own brand. If you look @ fiber/fabric label most of these are the same and have the same silky hand [feel] & as I understand it, just copies of Cuddle Duds...a different manufacturer.

I just meant the tops look like Tees vs. underwear. The white does too but you can see thru it, unlike the black. These are all so light weight you won't feel like a puffed up marshmellow w/the xtra layer :D & do keep you warm. Most all the posts say keep your head & hands warm & you'll be OK. We leave this weekend and mid 40-50s expected isn't too bad except when windy &/or raining. We're taking $ store plastic pants to slip over jeans in case of real rain vs. drizzle...also they weigh practically nothing & are disposible!

I'm sure you will not freeze w/whatever you take so don't stress! You have lots of time to hit the sales on winter stuff also. Enjoy Alaska! :)

We sailed last month. I wore my cuddle duds under my shirt. They are like long underwear for ladies - they don't add the bulk but do keep you warm. I am always cold. They come in a variety of styles - sleeveless, long sleeve, crew neck, v neck - and assorted colors; they also have bottoms. I would wear them under a turtleneck, sweather or sweatshirt and was very comfortable.

I bought mine at Sams wholesale a couple of years ago.

They do have the type of jackets that are waterproof with a removable liner at Cabelas, which is also a online store as well as stores in different areas but expect to pay dearly for the coat plus the liner. For me it is an investment well worth it since I do a lot of spring and fall fishing and the weather can be quite cold and rainy but I don't think I would spend that kind of money for something you will only wear a few times. I would check out any local sporting good stores in your area to see what they offer, the main thing is the jacket should be waterproof and even if it is lightweight you can always layer a tee shirt or even a sweatshirt under it to be warm. Good luck with your shopping.

Thanks! Since I live in New York, I would expect to wear the jacket more times at home.

I do have very heavy jackets, one that is waterproof. But, I think it's way to big to try & carry with me.

I will look at that on-line store and I feel I'm ready to go shopping! THANKS!

I'm a total wimp when it comes to being cold - am much more comfortable when it's in the 80's and 90's. I used silk long underwear from Wintersilks. Very lightweight and thin under clothing but kept me warm (not hot) and dry very nicely.

Archived