EXIT Glacier in Seward

swdke

Although the National Park Service advises people not to, you can walk right up to the face of the glacier. There is a trail that takes you straight there, another that takes a couple mile scenic loop and drops you back down at the face of the glacier, and then a much much longer hike up to the top of the icefield.

If you get a chance, there's a trail that goes up above the glacier, to the right, and you can look down upon it. It also affords a fantastic view of the valley. It is a dirt trail which is step in some places but for the most part its an easy hike. We were up and back within a couple hours.

Just back from there.

Besides the trails that have previously been there, that week they opened a new viewing area/trail.

My daughter hiked the Harding Ice Field hike as well (in the POURING RAIN). It's listed as "strenuous" but, to see the glacier, you only have to do a short hike.

This year they removed the entrance fee as well.:p

Exit Glaicer has receeded by 50 % in the last 5 years. The side is way off from the upper trail. Used to be right next to it. There are at times rangers posted up there, keeping you away. But it's now a longer "dirty" walk to get any closer.

I was there last week . . . in the pouring rain :) They have 3 short trails that you can walk to get a view of the glacier and a couple longer trails (7 miles round trip). We took 2 different ones. Well, one trail was cut in half by a huge stream that couldn't be crossed (too far to jump it and way too deep). But we got to see the foot of the glacier and then hiked up to a middle section of the glacier where a ranger was posted. I'll post pictures once I get them uploaded.

This hike was the highlight of our day in Seward.

Archived