Need advice: Getting hitched at sea!

I'm recently engaged (!) and I have to say ... with the stress that comes with planning a wedding, tying the knot at sea is starting to look like a pretty good option: http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=4

So brides (and grooms) who've swapped "I Do"s on a ship, here's my cry for help: What is the ONE peice of advice you'd give to someone considering a wedding at sea?

Thanks in advance!

Melissa,

Congrats on the engagement:D

Decide what you REALLY want first in terms of wedding ceremony, then decide on: itinerary, port (location) and ship.

The Wedding Co-ordinator we had made it real easy and helped reduce my wife's stress;) Just that sometimes a response took a day or 2.

Best of luck!

Hi Melissa

Peter and I got married on Royal Carribean 'Explorer of the Seas ' September 16 th last year whilst the ship was in port at Grand Caymay, everything was organised by Royal Romance, what can we say except it was amazing, no problems, no hitches, the staff of board were incredible and the photographer was something else, he took over 500 pictures, wow, weather in the Caribbean hot and sunny, at Christmas we had a

church blessing here in England and the weather was 'SNOW' what a contrast. Go for it you will not regret it, no hassle, no stress, just a wonderful experience

Valerie and Peter (Gifford)

Do not let your best friend stay in the cabin with you and your wife-to-be. You think it's going to be a blast, you know, with your best bro there to share the greatest moment of your life, but he ends up just being a third wheel.

OMG LMFAO

DUH!

I'm recently engaged (!) and I have to say ... with the stress that comes with planning a wedding, tying the knot at sea is starting to look like a pretty good option: http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=4

So brides (and grooms) who've swapped "I Do"s on a ship, here's my cry for help: What is the ONE peice of advice you'd give to someone considering a wedding at sea?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you're writing a book....?

Tomorrow will be our 3 week anniversary since tying the knot aboard the Sovereign (26 sailing, 20 non) and I have to say that the only thing I regret was hiring the DJ. He was AWFUL, and aboard RCCL, quite expensive. It seems the prices put out by TWE (which is the wedding planning co. for all the lines, but they use different names for each line) vary A LOT from line to line. We burned our own CD, which he managed to not play in order, he butchered names, got identities mixed up. Just not worth the $$. They tell you that you can bring a CD but you have to bring your own sound system. I chose not to bother with that, and now wish i would have asked a memeber of the wedding party to help out.

Other than that, it was absolutely fabulous!!

Realize that you need to be fairly laid back in order to keep from getting really frustrated with the way TWE handles things. You can, and should, plan for and get EXACTLY whay you want. They just need some gentle "nudging". :) But we would do it again in a heartbeat!

Congrats and best of luck!

Hi Melissa,Congats on your engagement. My wife and I got married on the Grand Princess in 2002. And despite what the article says, I found that we absolutely had no problems w/ our marriage licence. It was registered in Bermuda, if I recall offhand. Our experience was that we offered a open invitation to anyone who wished to attend. It was a wedding/honeymoon all rolled up into one. Anyone who could afford, went. For those who couldn't attend, could watch it on the internet. It was absolutely seamless although be prepared to be running around the day before. Also, book everything regarding hair appt's etc, as soon as you get onboard. We also got a colour map of the exact position of the ship when we got married. Absolutely memorable. If there's one piece of advice I could offer, is to ask if you can purchase the wedding negatives. We purchased the wedding negatives for $500.00 USD because if we were to order addtn'l photo's for guests and relatives through Princess, it would have easily doubled, or even tripled the cost of the photo's. That way, we have everything, which included the black and white photo's that were taken. We saved an absolute fortune by getting them done at home at a very reputable photo place.Also, I wouldn't book a reception for addtn'l cost. We all gathered in a area they had separated for us on the Grand where the wedding cake was presented. So we just sat and had some drinks. In lieu of the reception thing, my wife and I booked Sabatini's, paid for it for all the guests and had the wedding cake served there for desert. We figured for just a bit more money, everyone could enjoy a great full meal rather than just some h'ordevores. Whatever you decide, enjoy and congrats. Hope this advice didn't come too late.

Hi There!

My husband and I were married Dec. 4th 2005 at sea on board the Sapphire Princess in the Mexican Riviera.This is both of our second marriages and we knew too many people and didnt want to spend all the money to have a traditional wedding.We were going to go on a cruise for our honeymoon anyway when my husband-to-be asked if people get married on the ships.Well after some investigating which we found out that Princess is the only cruise line that marries you at sea by the captain...we decided that it was perfect for us since my husband is a navy man.....I can tell you that it was absolutly wonderful.We had sooo much fun! No work or hassels...Princess took care of everything!The wedding Dept. even made my hair appt. at the spa on board. Since both my parents have passed away my wedding coordinator offered to walk me down the isle...How nice of him to do that!!!You can even get married at port before you leave if there are some relatives and friends that cant go on your cruise with you,and just leave the ship before the ship sails.Well I hope this helps you.

Heidi C

Archived