cigars in the bahamas

martymonty

Hi

Can anyone tell me where I can get some cigars for my husband while visiting the bahamas this Dec. I know you have to be careful buying from street vendors because a lot of times they are not "real" cigars. We will be visiting Freeport and Nassau.

Thanks

Stephanie :)

Are you looking for "cuban" cigars?

You can get regular cigars and fake cubans in at least 20 shops before you walk halfway down Bay Street.

Supposedly ,from what I have gathered from doing 3 months of research in here before our cruise last week, there is only one official reseller of cubans in the Carribean, Las Casa Del Habanos, and they don't have any outlets in the Bahamas.

I stopped at a nice Cigar shop close to the docks, that someone had said, they had gotten authentic cubans at before and picked up one that had proper stamps on the box and the ring looked authentic.

But when I got back on board and smoked it, it was mediocre at best.

Now my Wife and I, while doing a walking tour of Nassau and stopped at the Graycliff Cigar Factory (next door to the 5 star Graycliff hotel and restaurant) and did the tour there. (you can watch the old Cuban gentlemen, smoke their own cigars while they roll new ones...)

As soon as you walk in the room, the smell of the fresh, fine tobacco was intoxicating.

I bought 3 different cigars in there, before leaving and though all 3 of them (even the one that was a new brand they just started and was supposed to be a milder blend) were far superior to the "cuban" I had gotten in the supposedly legit cigar shop.

Next Septemeber I do plan to stop at La Casa del Habano in Cozumel and get a guaranteed legitimate Cuban. (it sucks to pay full price for a good looking fake)

Bill

Yeah, I actually asked for a copy of their price list and the brochure that describes each different blend

The Original Blend $9-$50.

Professional $12-$50

Espresso $19 and $23

Crystal $10, $18 and $22

Chateau $18, $22 and $24

Emerald $18 and $22

G2 (their newest milder blend) $6, $7 and $8

Bahiba $5, $6, $7 and $8

Paradisi $7, $8 and $9

I personally picked up one G2 and 2 different Original blend. the Pirate and Elegante I believe.

Even the milder G2 was a pretty good smoke.

I loved the Original Blend Pirate. (which I was told was the first cigar they ever produced)

Most of the "Cubans" I saw in the reputable looking Cigar stores ran $20-$30 each. (I didn't see any Cohibas the day I was looking, but I'm sure after a crowded weekend of cruise ships, most stores might have been running low on Tuesday)

Hope you find something either way that your Husband will enjoy.

Bill

Archived