legend of the seas

referee

camsnana.....we finally chose a cabin on deck 6 midship....just hoping for calm seas...my wife does not do well with waves....we tried that battery operated wrist band for our last march cruise to hawaii...i think it was a waste of $90.....did not help at all.....she'll go back to bonine or something called "hylands"....if anybody has any info on the latter, i'd really appreciate it...thanks....referee (jay)

Hi Ref. We have always been on deck 7 or 8..but on Explorer and Mariner. Never felt a wave!! It was smooth sailing!!! My brother in law does wear a Patch in the back of his ear. I see many, many people wearing the patch on the cruise. Maybe your wife should look into that. Do you know if us Cruise Critic members meet at all on board. That would be nice. Also, have you ever used walkie talkies on board?

camsnana.....never used a walkie talkie...as corny as it sounds, my wife is also my best friend, and except for when she goes for her spa treatment, we're usually together.....if you check the top of this page you'll see "meet and mingle"....you can register for this, for our cruise. at last count ,there was 7 of us...if the number reaches 25, RCCL will set up a meeting space for us to get together.....referee (jay):p

hi Carol, it was good to hear how good your cruise was, at least you had the better weather than we did in May, I am off on my cruise in 2 weeks, still havent lost that extra weight i put on- so having problems with cruise clothes. I did email you earlier in the month, but havent had a reply, i wondered if you were still having problems with unwanted emails, hope to hear from you before my next cruise, kind regards, audrey:)

hi Carol, it was good to hear how good your cruise was, at least you had the better weather than we did in May, I am off on my cruise in 2 weeks, still havent lost that extra weight i put on- so having problems with cruise clothes. I did email you earlier in the month, but havent had a reply, i wondered if you were still having problems with unwanted emails, hope to hear from you before my next cruise, kind regards, audrey:)

Hi Audrey...Raining here in Derby...I guess Autumn is on it's way. I was Just on the computer.. checking some orders I placed...and decided to have a quick look at the CC boards and what's happening. So glad to hear from you...but Sorry you did not receive my reply to your Email. We have scrapped my old PC as it kept shutting down. I am using my daughters' laptop at present. So this could be the problem. I definitely sent an Email to you since I returned. I remember Discussing the girls...and details of the cruise...and your holiday with your daughter.

Anyway.. Being on Legend.. seems like years ago.. I definitely need another break. Family problems have been taking their toll. I know you can relate to that..with your large family. The ship itself.. was truly wonderful..Superior in every way to our first cruise last year. The crew were just great. we were, however, a lot less relaxed...and overtired. We made loads of friends this time..amongst passengers. A great crowd. And had loads of laughs with the crew and staff...thanks to the twins I think. Everyone found them lots of fun..and interesting as they are identical.

Regarding the cruise...and the kids. Well..they reacted quite a bit differently to what we had expected. They Loved the ship..but were very calm..and laid back. No different to at home. Compared to ALL my excitement. Even Danny comes to life onboard...and we just enjoy every second..and don't want to miss a thing. Our daily life is so different. I want to have fun!! and had expected them to also be thrilled with all that was around them...they were Cruising the MED! They should have the time of their life!! I think they were very happy...but just not outwardly. They were content to just sit somewhere....or be in their cabin. We were the ones going to the deck parties..and all the festivities.

We had excellent weather this cruise....except for some swells...which also caused the kids a lot of problems. Sadly on the night of the gala buffet which I wanted them to see...All 4 weren't very well...as the ship was rocking quite a lot. They did come to the dining room for a quick look...and thought it was brilliant. we missed the chocolate buffet altogether. As the girls had a problem at the hairdressers that night....where a mistake was made in the colour highliting of their hair. One daughter had to be completely redone. Too much bleach had been used. A major error on the hairdressers part.That threw our entire evening out. We even missed dinner and the special show. (I forgot about room service.) We only received a partial refund as well...which I think is unfair...and should have followed up. But everyone else was just fantastic to us. We had service second to none.

Looking back..we had some fantastic times together. Some great tours in port..good value..and which we really enjoyed. And ...We did see all the places together. which was very Special. And I am definitely glad they went along. The girls certainly deserved it. We were ALL very, very tired before we left on this cruise. I put a lot of the stress down to that.

At the end...It was money well spent... The girls didn't want to leave the ship..so that says a lot.

The lads never say a lot.. But I know they truly enjoyed themselves. Especially all the Food!! They loved the Windjammer...and the solarium hamburgers and pizza.

I am so glad you have another cruise to look forward to very soon. I will keep in touch. We hope to sail on Legend again Next August. Our 3x.. through Italy/croatia. It would be wonderful...though I am not keen on flying to Rome to join the ship. Packing in small amounts.. being the worst problem. So long for now... All the Best..hope your family are well. Regards, Carol

I am so glad you have another cruise to look forward to very soon. I will keep in touch. We hope to sail on Legend again Next August. Our 3x.. through Italy/croatia. It would be wonderful...though I am not keen on flying to Rome to join the ship. Packing in small amounts.. being the worst problem.

Very soon? Here I'm thinking "how am I going to make it all this time until summer?" ;) I even scheduled in a weekend quickie in January on Monarch just to tide me over (one advantage of being near the west coast, we're within fairly easy reach of the Los Angeles cruises to Mexico).

I'm not sure what to think about Rome. I've only been to Northern Italy, but for some reason Rome just has never been very high on my list. I haven't decided yet whether we're going to stay IN Rome, or somewhere outside. We're flying into Fiumicino airport, which is outside of Rome a bit, and the cruise port in Civitavecchia is a bit further North up the coast. Doing a bit of poking around, private transfers are available but expensive, so we may take the train, which is a very reasonable e12 or so. Certainly well have to pay more attention to what we're packing, although we're a bit better off in that as we're travelling internationally, we'll have higher luggage allowances. Air travel inside Europe LOOKS cheap, until you realize how little luggage they let you bring without charging you extra. We're going on a 12 day CRUISE for heaven's sake, this is no time to be packing lightly!

We're actually toying with the idea of taking the cruiseline air, which for our May sailing is about $1000 per person. Since we're seeing airfares on our own in the $800-$1400 range, this is certainly in the ballpark, and even more so when you take into account that it also includes the airport transfers. I also like the idea that we don't actually have to pay for the cruiseline air until we finish paying for our cruise, which means it is also fully refundable until then. Can't say that for an airline ticket!

Carol, I forget, are you taking the cruiseline air and transfers? If so, at least you won't have to worry too much about how you're going to get there with whatever luggage you bring. Are you staying nights before or after?

Very soon? Here I'm thinking "how am I going to make it all this time until summer?" ;) I even scheduled in a weekend quickie in January on Monarch just to tide me over (one advantage of being near the west coast, we're within fairly easy reach of the Los Angeles cruises to Mexico).

I'm not sure what to think about Rome. I've only been to Northern Italy, but for some reason Rome just has never been very high on my list. I haven't decided yet whether we're going to stay IN Rome, or somewhere outside. We're flying into Fiumicino airport, which is outside of Rome a bit, and the cruise port in Civitavecchia is a bit further North up the coast. Doing a bit of poking around, private transfers are available but expensive, so we may take the train, which is a very reasonable e12 or so. Certainly well have to pay more attention to what we're packing, although we're a bit better off in that as we're travelling internationally, we'll have higher luggage allowances. Air travel inside Europe LOOKS cheap, until you realize how little luggage they let you bring without charging you extra. We're going on a 12 day CRUISE for heaven's sake, this is no time to be packing lightly!

We're actually toying with the idea of taking the cruiseline air, which for our May sailing is about $1000 per person. Since we're seeing airfares on our own in the $800-$1400 range, this is certainly in the ballpark, and even more so when you take into account that it also includes the airport transfers. I also like the idea that we don't actually have to pay for the cruiseline air until we finish paying for our cruise, which means it is also fully refundable until then. Can't say that for an airline ticket!

Carol, I forget, are you taking the cruiseline air and transfers? If so, at least you won't have to worry too much about how you're going to get there with whatever luggage you bring. Are you staying nights before or after?

Hi Niles..

We are actually booked through our TA..since May...when the itinerary first came out on the RC website. Our TA knew nothing about this schedule for Legend..we had to inform her..and it has been kept very quiet over here. only showing up on their website the past week or so. After it appeared in the Crown and Anchor magazine. Previously all of the summer 2007 schedule for Legend was blank. And it is still not showing our specific cruise to Italy! Why I don't know. So all the prices for the cabin...were taken from RC..but the TA incorporated the airfare for only a £100 more..which would have been about £350 thru RC at that time. That price was to also include airport transfers. So I suppose we are Ta booked..not RC. Which is why I am not risking flying on the same day to rome.We hope to spend at least 2 days pre cruise there..depending on costs.

I think the price you have been quoted for airfares from RC..is excellent. As I said..they wanted the equivalent of $600 each from here to Rome. Booking through RC gives you a lot of security. They have looked after their passengers well whenever flights they have booked went wrong. There is actually a topic about that issue on the cc boards right now.

what it doesn't say on our invoice...is the name of the airline..or specific time or date of the flight.Or arrival airport in rome. Just the departure airport from the UK. I did say we wanted to stay in rome a day or two before the cruise..so we arrive safely. she said it was too early to book a hotel.. RC weren't showing any yet for that cruise. I should Wait till 10 months before..which is around now. In that situation..We would pay to get from the airport to the hotel ourselves. But then would be transferred to the ship...from the hotel..inclusive..as she would use hotels that RC uses...and also book us on their transfer shuttle..

We were in Rome last year on our first Med cruise. I loved it.. as I had last been there as a 21 year old. It seemed like time stood still..retracing all my old steps. We were lucky with the weather not too hot..and less crowded than normal.. as the Romans were on holiday...so it was great. We Wandered at our own pace. Just using the ships coach to get us there. The port of Civitavecchia..is 90 minutes from the city... I have no idea where the city is in relation to the airport..and are there 2 airports?? It seems I have seen 2 names mentioned. In which case I have no idea where we are arriving..or what we are doing. I must check it with the TA..as I also recently receieved a £70 voucher thru C & A that I can use towards this cruise. I think you will do well to book with them directly. At the moment we are sorting so many problems with family..my mind is totally elsewhere.. The time on here..gives me a few minutes to escape the chaos.

How fantastic that you are able to hop on a ship..and take quick trips.. being so near to Los Angeles must be great. I love all of California..but then I liked Arizona as well. what I remember of it. Some wonderful places to live..and it is a dry heat I think. Compared to the very humid Florida heat. January will be the perfect time to get away. Just after Xmas is really hard here in the UK..as winter darkness has set in..and everyone is stuck indoors. We see very little sunshine through winter...and it is totally dark at 4pm. I suppose..thinking about it..we do have similiar opportunities to get away. We have great deals to spain..and other places in the med. Fantastically cheap. Long weekends even.. to paris.. rome. all over Europe. But you still need food..and spending money of course. We are not in the position to spend..as we have several dependents still.....and my son has just "Returned home". So numbers are actually increasing...not decreasing.. lol...So Here's to Happy Sailing!! and 12 days of luxury. Regards, Carol

what it doesn't say on our invoice...is the name of the airline..or specific time or date of the flight.Or arrival airport in rome. Just the departure airport from the UK. I did say we wanted to stay in rome a day or two before the cruise..so we arrive safely. she said it was too early to book a hotel.. RC weren't showing any yet for that cruise. I should Wait till 10 months before..which is around now. In that situation..We would pay to get from the airport to the hotel ourselves. But then would be transferred to the ship...from the hotel..inclusive..as she would use hotels that RC uses...and also book us on their transfer shuttle..

It's not unusual not to know the flights or airlines yet, unless you paid extra for "custom air." They'll tell you a lot closer to when they're getting ready to send the documents. I just checked this morning, and RCCL still is not listing any hotels for pre/post cruise online.

We were in Rome last year on our first Med cruise. I loved it.. as I had last been there as a 21 year old. It seemed like time stood still..retracing all my old steps. We were lucky with the weather not too hot..and less crowded than normal.. as the Romans were on holiday...so it was great. We Wandered at our own pace. Just using the ships coach to get us there. The port of Civitavecchia..is 90 minutes from the city... I have no idea where the city is in relation to the airport..and are there 2 airports?? It seems I have seen 2 names mentioned. In which case I have no idea where we are arriving..or what we are doing. I must check it with the TA..as I also recently receieved a £70 voucher thru C & A that I can use towards this cruise. I think you will do well to book with them directly. At the moment we are sorting so many problems with family..my mind is totally elsewhere.. The time on here..gives me a few minutes to escape the chaos.

Yes, there are two airports - I think it's a bit like London in that some airlines go into one, and some into the other. I'm likely to fly into fiumicino, which is just down the coast from Civitavecchia, and outside of Rome to the West. I'm not quite sure where the other airport is.

Sorry you're having family issues - glad you have someplace to which you can escape!

Hi , we will be joining you on the 12/30 sailing. First time on RCI and first time in a balcony cabin and an AFT cabin at that. I am sailing with my 2 sons 16 and 22, They would love to do Zip line and caves in Belize, and of course mom wants to go to Shark Ray alley. Have you been on holiday cruises before. I am concerned with what activities may or may not be available on Roatan Island on New years day. Have you done most of your excursions with the ship or have you planned some on your own. I have heard that in Belize we should probably stay with ship planned excursions even though they tend to be a little more crowded.

Thanks for any insight.

Mary P:p

I am very happy to hear the Legend is still a wonderful ship. We are sailing on Dec. 30 for the New Year's cruise. Our first cruise on Legend was to Alaska the year she was launched (1995?) and we loved the ship, especially the floor to ceiling windows in the dining room.

Kazooie11--We will be in a GS and will be happy to give you a report when we return. Hopefully you will have some info before then and won't have to wait to hear from me. We have sailed in a GS on both Vision and Radiance class ships and love them. We will book an OS if the price is right, but I am perfectly happy to be in a GS which I think is a well designed cabin. IMO, about the only real advantage to an OS, other than space, is the separate shower. I wuld be happy to answer any questions that you have now, as the layout of the GS on the Vision and Radiance class ships are very similar.

I have heard that in Belize we should probably stay with ship planned excursions

I know this wasn't specifically directed at me, but... When I sailed Legend to Belize I took the ship's "lamanai ruins and new river safari" excursion which was great. We wandered around a bit afterwards and I have to agree that it was a good idea to take the excursion. The 'port' consists of a bar right on the water and a building full of the exact same shops you see in every other port (diamonds international, etc) . Just outside this building is a small outdoor market with vendors selling jewelry, t-shirts, wood carvings, etc. For more consistent quality, check out The National Handicrafts Sales Centre, which is just a couple of blocks away.

Had I not booked the ship's excursion, I probably would have been a bit disappointed with Belize City, because there wasn't really much beyond the little tourist-trap shopping, although I'm sure we could have taken a cab someplace. With the excursion, though, Belize turned out to be my favorite stop. The river ride was very pretty (the guides were very good about stopping and pointing out wildlife), the ruins were great, and the meal they served us at the ruins was very tasty. There was not a lot of time for shopping after the excursion, but it was enough for us, and we were pretty beat by then anyway.

WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE? I KNOW IT MIGHT SEEM A BIT TO SOON, BUT YOU WOULD THINK SOME FELLOW CRUISERS WOULD BE ON THE BOARDS. SO FAR, ONLY 7 PEOPLE REGISTERED FOR MEET AND MINGLE...WHERE'S YOUR ENTHUSIASUM...WHEN WE TRAVELED TO HAWAII LAST MARCH....PEOPLE WERE WRITING AS FAR BACK AS OCTOBER COME ON GUYS....LETS GET WITH IT!!!!!REFEREE:mad:

Archived