Need last minute Galveston advice please!

vossjemi

We'll be in Galveston next week for a wedding, but staying at a condo on the beach. There will be 4 adults and 2 kids in our minivan, so w/luggage, it will be tight. We'll be staying between stewart beach and east beach. Is there anywhere there to snorkel? Is it any good? Trying to figure out if I should bring my snorkel gear or not.

Also, do any of these beaches rent waverunners? If so, what does it cost?

Also, has anyone eaten at gaido's? We've heard its the best seafood in galveston, and who knows if we'll ever be back so thought we'd give it a try. Did you like gaido's? And, do they have anything on their menu for children? We'll have a 3 1/2 and a 5 1/2 year old with us.

Thanks.

My goodness. :( I'm really surprised by the responses. :eek: I didn't realize galveston surf was so yucky. :o What exactly is wrong with the water? Why is it so yucky?

I was hoping for a fun beach vacation. I really wasn't expecting these kind of responses. I guess I really didn't know. Someone on another board suggested palm beach at the moody gardens, so we might just do that.

Sorry - I didn't mean to be so negative! After numerous trips to Mexico and the Caribbean, the beaches in Galveston can't be expected to compare. Seriously, though, the water is pretty dirty and full of seaweed. The beaches are close to the port, so pollution from the ships tends to make the water pretty yucky. If you stand in knee-deep water you can hardly see your feet. I personally wouldn't want to snorkel in it. It is still fun to walk along the beach and wade in the water, and the area is really nice and tropical with tons of cute beach houses and nice landscaping.

Moody Gardens is awesome and the beach there is really nice! The water is clear and the beach is kept up nicely. They also have a nice aquaruim, a rainforest pyramid (very cool), IMAX movies, gardens, and lots more.

http://www.moodygardens.com/attractions.html

No worry. :) I'd rather have the scoop and info BEFORE I go so as not to be disappointed. We hadn't really planned on doing Moody Gardens..just a few days playing in the ocean, but if it turns out yucky, at least now I'm researching what I need to know about my options so the kids will have some fun!:) Thanks!:D

Aggie is right. We were there last year for a cruise and I was amazed at how brown the water is. I was told by a local that it is because the current carries mud toward the beach area. No way that you can snorkel in it.

Galveston is not exactly a great beach area but still a nice town to visit.

Leave your snorkel equipment at home. Galveston waters are not clear enough. However, kids are kids. They seem to love the water no matter where they are. What I would recommend is to get them a boogie board when you get there. My husband and I went to Walmart across from the beach and purchased one for less than $10. It was an absolute blast. Two adults playing like kids..doesn't get any better. They are also small enough that they would fit in a large suitcase to take back home. If that's not an option, at $10 they are disposable.

For seafood give Guido's a try. I've not eaten there, but everyone I know that's a "lifer" in this area swears by it. Fish Tales is also another option and a bit more fun for the kids perhaps.

Will you have a rental car? If so, check out Kemah not far down the road. Lots of fun for everyone of all ages and plenty of good food!

If you would have bad weather or are looking for something different to do to escape the heat do check out Moody Gardens. I believe after 6 pm they offer 1/2 price tickets to each of the venues.

Have fun!

Archived