Need Advice from Paul Gauguin Cruisers

rubyclk

A PG veteran myself, I wanted to offer some insight for those worried about boarding procedures and shore excursion availability. Remember one thing - this is a very small ship! There will never be hoards of people anywhere much less any lines. Sure, the excursions will book up eventually, especially the most popular ones, but this isn't the type of ship either where all 320 passengers will flock to the signup desk at 3pm.

We had no problem booking spa services throughout the cruise either. Massages are a real treat!

Also, nobody seemed to mention the great hotel stay that is included for air-sea guests who arrive on the EARLY flight into Papeete. From the airport, you will be transfered to a hotel where you are provided with a private room that's yours until the afternoon. You are given time to swim, sleep, relax at the beach and refresh yourself before dining on an included lunch at the hotel. THen you are transfered by bus to the ship just in time to be the first on for boarding.

My husband and I are planning to sail the PG next year and this time we are considering a stopover in Hawaii for some additional vacationing. Perhaps this idea would also appeal to those of you thinking about a pre- or post-cruise option?

I hope this info helps those preparing for the cruise of a lifetime!

I for one thoroughly enjoyed our pre-cruise stays in Bora Bora and Moorea. Even though the food and pampering is much better on the PG, you just cannot experience the Tahitian culture like you can on land. If you can afford it, the Over the Water Bungalows are so unique, snorkeling right from your deck, canoe breakfasts and relaxation is something few other places in the world offer. Don't worry about excursions, the same companies offer them on land as the PG at approximately the same cost. There are only a few companies (mostly family owned) in Tahiti that offer these excursions both to the cruise lines and resorts. Maybe a little more variety on land, like a private motu picnic, renting scooters and fun cars, etc. Although you cannot go wrong with a back to back cruise, I for one would again do an island or two pre-cruise prior to the PG to experience the island culture which I love.

"There are only a few companies (mostly family owned) in Tahiti that offer these excursions both to the cruise lines and resorts."

Ooops, I should have said the same companies (mostly family owned) in the Tahitian islands that offer PG excursions also offer them to the resorts on land. I hope I didn't confuse you. In addition, from the two times I have been to Tahiti, I have never had any problem booking an excursion.

Here's my review for what it's worth of the Te Tiare:

Stayed in a deep OWB. Room is large, with large bathroom, walkin shower, jetted tub, minibar, king bed and a/c. Deck is large as well and looks out over the beautiful lagoon. Room is very comfortable and nice, but not luxurious. If you are looking for a Four Seasons type resort, this is not for you. Many varieties of fish can be seen from your deck and a bit of bread can encourage them even more. Food was mostly delicious. A few entrees were fair, the others great. Breakfast is served buffet style. Grounds are beautifully landscaped and gorgeous with many varities of plants.

It did rain for four days straight when we were in Huahine. I am talking about constant driving rain. This is in the "dry" season. According to the staff this can happen. In this case there is not much to do.

Staff (except for the new manager) was very kind and accommodating and willing to help in any event. They made the whole trip worth it....

As of the middle of August you can now prebook your excursions on the PG prior to embarkation via the RSSC website. This was so new for our 8/21/04 embarkation that not everyone on staff was aware of it. But the ones at the excursion desk who needed to know had our tickets printed for us just after we boarded at 3:00pm! I would guess that now that this option is available, tours will fill up more quickly. I know that several were full by 9:00pm Saturday. In some cases they opened additional tours that worked out to be better than the full tours. In other cases they were not able to book additional tours. Still other tours ended up being cancelled due to not reaching a minimum number.

What tours would you suggest a MUST on the PG. We plan to book some at the pier when we dock, but if we know in advance the best ones, we will do it on line prior to our cruise.

Thanks all for all the help and advise you are giving to me and to others on this board. :)

Der

Waverunner around Bora Bora, and if you like 4 wheel drive, any of them in BB or Moorea. I loved the canoe thing in Raiatea as well. Did parasailing from Moorea pre-cruise and it was a thrill ( available from Moorea Beachcomber from ship, I think)

Archived