NCL Pearl - eastbound Panama Canal in Sept 2007

whatawonderfulworld

Good evening all. I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I am heading for my first partnered cruise next month. A short 7 day venture from NY down to the Bahamas. What is a partnered cruise? Well it will be DH's first cruise - he's apprehensive regarding seasickness, so we're prepared with patches and dramamine. I anticipate we are going to have a wonderful time. And so much so that I am considering our next cruise to be on the Pearl in September, out of LA, transiting the Canal, and into Miami.

You are all such learned sages on every aspect of cruising...what are your thoughts about this trip? It's a new ship - if at all possible I'd love to get one of those courtyard suites (I haven't been able to price out the costs yet).

Am I nuts to cruise in this are at that particular time of year? Have any of you seen the itinerary? Thoughts?

The ship leaves at 4 - should we fly in from NY the day before? Would you recommend purchasing the airfare when booking or doing so independent of NCL? Are there any specific hotels you would recommend that are in good proximity to the piers in LA? How do we get to the port on sailing day (I'm a NY girl - taxis are abundant - but not in LA)?

Thanks so much in advance for your responses.

Ciao,

W A W W

Oh wow, panama canal transit on a rather new ship. That would be so fantastic.

I don't have anything much intelligent or helpful to say, except that is going to be a great experience!

When I did a panama canal transit, i found a really cheap one way fare on AA so I booked it myself.

Good evening all. I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I am heading for my first partnered cruise next month. A short 7 day venture from NY down to the Bahamas. What is a partnered cruise? Well it will be DH's first cruise - he's apprehensive regarding seasickness, so we're prepared with patches and dramamine. I anticipate we are going to have a wonderful time. And so much so that I am considering our next cruise to be on the Pearl in September, out of LA, transiting the Canal, and into Miami.

You are all such learned sages on every aspect of cruising...what are your thoughts about this trip? It's a new ship - if at all possible I'd love to get one of those courtyard suites (I haven't been able to price out the costs yet).

Am I nuts to cruise in this are at that particular time of year? Have any of you seen the itinerary? Thoughts?

The ship leaves at 4 - should we fly in from NY the day before? Would you recommend purchasing the airfare when booking or doing so independent of NCL? Are there any specific hotels you would recommend that are in good proximity to the piers in LA? How do we get to the port on sailing day (I'm a NY girl - taxis are abundant - but not in LA)?

Thanks so much in advance for your responses.

Ciao,

W A W W

Hi,

We are doing the April route(Miamai-LA) of the Pearl and the Panama Canal. We have an AD on the AFT and cannot wait until it is time.

I would arrive the day before in LA only for your comfort. The pier is about 20-30 minutes from LAX. There are hotels in Long Beach, Torrance area that are about 15 minutes from the pier (We stay with family that is about 5 minutes from the pier). Many of the hotels have shuttle service to the pier or airport. Do a search on San Pedro, CA and you should come up with many ideas of the area and things to do. LA does have taxis and the cost is about $50 including tip from LAX.

Have fun planning and searching and making plans. I will be writing a review when we return.:)

WE always arrive one day early. That way if there are any hang ups like misplaced luggage, delays, etc you have at least 24 hours to get things straightened out. We also like to relax, I usually press a few of our clothes in the hotel room so they are fresh and we are able to board asap, enjoying the extra time on the ship. NMnita

We have the same cabin, 10664. Yes, we will be taking pixs and will try to post some here.I will answer all your questions when we return.:D Hopefully shoreguy will be taking pixs and will post some here. Just not sure if he will be taking pix of 10664.:rolleyes:

We have the same cabin, 10664. Yes, we will be taking pixs and will try to post some here.I will answer all your questions when we return.:D Hopefully shoreguy will be taking pixs and will post some here. Just not sure if he will be taking pix of 10664.:rolleyes:

How fun! Thanks! :D

Archived