Ryokan in Kyoto

gwhizma

Can anybody recommend a middle priced Ryokan in the Kyoto/Osaka area? Or perhaps a good place to find one? Thanks

I stayed one night at Hiiragiya a couple of year ago. Had heard so much about it, had to try. Pricey, pricey and other than seeing all the Geishas in Gion, I wasn't impressed. Service was to die for, but how much miso soup can you eat??? Never have gotten the hang of that Japanese bathing thing. http://www.hiiragiya.co.jp/en/

Here is a whole list of Ryokan's in Kyoto-all prices. http://www.ryokan.or.jp/kinki/eng/

Enjoy!!!

Greatam and Lightpackers,

The OP asked for a moderate priced Ryoken. Hirigira and the Tawaraya across the street (where DH and I stayed for 3 enchanting nights) are the two most expensive in the world.

On our next visit to Kyoto, we stayed at the Miyako hotel which offers a choice of either western style or tatami style rooms. Much more moderately priced than a ryoken and perhaps an option for the OP?

Jane,

I know Hiirigiya is very pricey. That's why I posted the link. Has about every Ryokan in Kyoto. If the OP figures 100Yen per dollar, middle prices are about $250-270.00 per night in the central district. That is low/moderate for the area. You won't find much cheaper in Kyoto.

Greatam,

Well, we've all given the OP some great info and now s/he can do the research.

The link you posted for the ryoken's (which is a great list, thanks) shows the Tawaraya prices averaging $400. (46000 Yen) per night per person and the Hirigiya prices averaging $300. (35000 Yen) per night per person.

Further down the list, there's the Ryoken Kouro for $150. per night per room (18000 Yen).

All include breakfast and dinner.

I hope gwhizma comes back to look at all the work we've done! ;)

Greatam & Jane110,

Thank you both for your imput, especially the the link. What a great site. I had no idea where to start or what kind of prices to expect. Having never been any further than the Carribean, I am open to any suggestions anyone has as to what to see or do. My girlfrind and I will be arriving in Tokyo on April 1st and leaving out of Osaka for a cruise April 5th. Thought a Ryokan was on of the things we could not do anywhere else. Any other suggestions? Thank you for your time!

gwhizma,

So you're going to see Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka in 5 days?

Are you taking the bullet train? Pre buy your ticket in the US because it's alot le$$ if you do that.

Well, I think that Kyoto is the best city in Japan, so I wouldn't skip it.

Ryokon means small inn and so, as you can see by the link, there are many levels of comfort, service and food. The least expensive ones may have shared bathrooms, so do check beforehand if that's a concern.

Also some western style hotels also have Tatami Rooms, which means decorated in traditional japanese style. That might be something to consider too. However, the tatami rooms are always more expensive than the western rooms.

In Japan, room dimensions are not given in square footage or in meters, it's given in tatami's. All tatami mats are the same size, so they'll tell you the size of the room by how many tatami mats it takes to fill the room. This is done even in western styled rooms. (though some hotels may have adapted and measured their rooms in western measurements, but don't count on all of them to do that).

Well we don't quite have 5 days as we don't get into Tokyo until afternoon. We are not sure how to spend our time. We know we want at least 2 days in Kyoto. Our cruise does not leave until 11pm so we have all day of the 5th. Any suggestions?? Perhaps I should start another thread? I'm not very experienced with the boards.

Yes we are planning to purchase the Rail pass here.

Interesting info on the room. Thanks

Archived