My list of ten things...to do or not to do...

rsscaptain

Packing: I pack weeks, sometimes MONTHS in advance. It helps me start living my vacation vicariously. I live in a cold weather (very cold this winter!) climate and travel during the winter months. I'm not using my cruise clothes at home anyway, so I pack 'em.

Catagory: We always book ocean view. I never want to spend the extra $$ for a balcony, but hope to be able to try it some day. I've traveled inside twice, but wouldn't do it again.

Holiday: I shop for the best, winter-month rates and pick our week accordingly. I have sailed a couple of times during the kids' February school break, but I try to avoid peak times whenever possible.

Food: I don't pay extra for the upscale dining facilities. The regular dining room food is great and, as some have said, I don't cruise for the food. It's great - particularly since the first day of my cruise marks the last day of my annual cruise-preparation diet - but it's not the main draw of my cruise.

Dining: I wish they wouldn't surcharge dining options. Chops and Portifinos - sure. But things like Johnny Rockets and Ben & Jerry's. I avoided all the dining options other than the Windjammer and dining room on my first RCL cruise, becuase I didn't know which were included and which carried an up-charge.

Dress: I enjoy dressing up for formal nights. It's getting more difficult, however, with the airline limits on luggage. I have always taken a large suitcase and a garment bag. This year, I have to get everything into a suit case and carry-on bag. I'm really concerned about how wrinkled things will be when I arrive. And there are no self-serve irons.

Chairs: OK, a towel is one thing. The folks might be in the pool. But I've seen people saving rows of seats with stuff as insignificant as a hair tie! I'm not buying that! I don't remove towels to take a seat, but I will remove hair ties!

Tipping: I tip the recommended gratuities, adding extra for exceptional service.

Smoking: Don't smoke, don't like it. I sailed on Carnival Destiny a couple of years ago. When we boarded, our cabin absolutely reeked! I complained. ALL cabins were supposed to be non-smoking. Customer relations indicated that those San Juan guests just LOVED their cigars! Well...we did not agree! They cleaned and deodorized the cabin, removing nearly all evidence of the smell. But it wasn't a good way to start the trip. I've found the newer ships have better ventilation. And I'm happy that RCL is moving toward more strict enforcement of the smoking rules.

Smoking is one of the reasons I've hesitated to pay extra for a balcony cabin. I've read reviews by people who couldn't even use their balcony because their neighbor spent every minute on his balcony, chain smoking. If you don't like smoke, this could ruin an experience you paid a premium to enjoy.

Love: OMG - so many things. Love getting to visit multiple locations on one vacation. Love the tropical drinks by the pool. Love the sunshine and warm breezes. Love not having to make my bed or cook my food all week. Love having a staff of people, who are dying to make me happy. Love the shows, nightclubs, endless activities. Love meeting new people and making new friends on the ship. A cruise is such a social vacation.

Archived