Car Seats in Taxis in Other Countries

cruisingbug

We're figuring we'll have to take the bus if we want to go anywhere away from the port areas when we cruise since we don't intend to bring the car seat. But what are the laws in other countries regarding their use in taxis? I'd be scared to even try it (taxi rides are usually scary enough) but for a short ride, it might be necessary at some point. Any info?

We're figuring we'll have to take the bus if we want to go anywhere away from the port areas when we cruise since we don't intend to bring the car seat. But what are the laws in other countries regarding their use in taxis? I'd be scared to even try it (taxi rides are usually scary enough) but for a short ride, it might be necessary at some point. Any info?

Where are you going?

This cruise we're going to Bermuda, but I'm asking as a general question since our baby will be in a car seat for a long time (til age 8 around here) so I was curious what those with small children do when they're cruising and want to take a cab...

I guess mainly we'd be in the Caribbean area in the near future....

I highly recommend the "sit n stroll" Works as a stroller and as a car seat. It is also certified for flights. Used it for all travel with my daughter.

Most Caribbean islands do have car seat laws.

This cruise we're going to Bermuda, but I'm asking as a general question since our baby will be in a car seat for a long time (til age 8 around here) so I was curious what those with small children do when they're cruising and want to take a cab...

I'm assuming the child you're referring to is the one in the pic??? We decided against a car seat...our son is 7 (was 6 on the last cruise). Our laws are until 8yrs also (NC), but Miami wasn't. I think theirs was 5??? But our friends didn't do one either for their 4 year old. I think I would if it's for the age child in the pic.

BY THE WAY..... I'm originally from Saugerties!!!

I think that the poster was asking because of the difference in laws and availability of seatbelts in different countries. I think that Bermuda requires you to buckle your kids in, and the taxis must provide seatbelts in the back. In many countries in the Caribbean, you'll find a lot of cabs without seatbelts. In which case, it'll be useless bringing a carseat.

Below is a short description of Bermuda seat belt law:

"Since 1 January 2004, under The Motor Car Act 1951 and Motor Car (Seat Belts) Regulations 2002, seat belts are required. Adults sitting in the front seat must wear a seat belt. Adults in the rear seat are not required to do so. Children from birth to one year and up to 20 lbs in weight must be in a rear facing seat. Children from 30 lbs to 40 lbs must be in a forward-facing child seat. Children from 40 to 80 lbs must use a seat belt positioning device or booster seat. All children are safest in the back seat. The driver of the vehicle is legally responsible for ensuring compliance and may be fined for non-compliance, but the law does not seem to be clear on who must provide booster seats or special child seats for young children. To be on the safe side, parents using taxis for their young families should bring their own. If they do not, so as not to risk being liable by default, taxi drivers may not wish to take them. Occupants 18 and older are legally responsible for themselves. Older cars with no seat belts are not required to be modified. Non-compliance otherwise attracts a fine of $2,100 per offence."

Thanks to all! I'd seen brief mentions of the Sit n Stroll and the Tote N Go before - thanks for the info. I think on this trip, rather than hauling the Britax, we'll just either take the bus or stick close to the port. I assume taking the bus is OK without a car seat? We had it easy when we visited Boston - we took the subway and she stayed right in the stroller!

Thanks to all! I'd seen brief mentions of the Sit n Stroll and the Tote N Go before - thanks for the info. I think on this trip, rather than hauling the Britax, we'll just either take the bus or stick close to the port. I assume taking the bus is OK without a car seat? We had it easy when we visited Boston - we took the subway and she stayed right in the stroller!

Yes that's correct. Buses don't allow car seats because there are no seat belts. During the times I have attempted to take car seats on board buses, they were removed from me and stowed under the bus.

Have a great trip!

I think that the poster was asking because of the difference in laws and availability of seatbelts in different countries. I think that Bermuda requires you to buckle your kids in, and the taxis must provide seatbelts in the back. In many countries in the Caribbean, you'll find a lot of cabs without seatbelts. In which case, it'll be useless bringing a carseat.

I have to disagree with your assessment of seat belts in Caribbean countries. We have been to the USVI, BVI, GRenada, St. Martin, St. Lucia, PR, Bahamas, Caymans, even to the Yucatan. You may have to wait for a cab or two but here are seat belts. You may have to search - yes down in the seat or under it but you will find them. Just takes a bit of "active" (looking under the seats;) ) parental responsibility.

Have a safe trip!

Archived