San Diego Questions...

cmcsharon

A group of us are staying for one night pre-cruise in SD. Many of us have reservations at the Best Western Bayside...but, we need to meet up with others from our group for a dinner at Dick's Last Resort. Does anyone know the best way to get from the Best Western to Dick's...(should we take a cab, is there any shuttle services, or should we rent a car)?

And...has anyone been to Dick's Last Resort and what did you think??

Thanks!!

(I finally get to say my cruise is NEXT month!!:D )

You are about 12-14 blocks from Dick's Last Resort (rowdy, crude fun, but not great food). There are so many other nice places to eat in the Gaslamp, but if you are determined to eat there, the easiest would probably be to take the San Diego Trolley. You are just a block or so from the County Admin/Little Italy station, but if you get on there you would need to transfer from the Green Line to the Orange Line at the American Plaza. If you stay on the Blue Line you will have to walk back to Dick's about 4 blocks through some not-so-nice areas (esp. after dark). Ask at your hotel for more specific directions. You can also take the bus, but this would involve multiple transfers as well. Depending on how many of you there are, a cab might be the easiest.

You can check out public transit options here:

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/Trip_Planning/index.asp

Dick's is fun, I mean you have to have a good attitude and not be of the sensative nature, expect to be yelled at, made fun of, and have a few things thrown at you, ok now that sounds worse then it is, it is definetly all in good fun...but like I said bring your ready to party, happy attitude...

I would chose a different restaurant to meet/eat. Dick's has gone downhill the past year or so and the food is terrible. The place is almost never busy, so that should tell you something. There are so many good places to meet, so why not find one that won't get you sick before you cruise.:eek:

Hiya! San Diego native here.

Dick's Last Resort is a lot of fun but has terrible food -- boiled ribs, etc.

The Gaslamp has so very many amazing restaurants, it's a shame to waste your one night at Dick's. Why don't you consider meeting at Dick's for a drink and then choosing another restaurant to eat at?

Some of my favorites are:

Fillipi's in Little Italy - best Italian food ever! http://www.realcheesepizza.com/web/locations/SD.html

Ole Madrid - amazing Spanish food

http://www.olemadrid.com/#home

Anthony's Seafood Grotto -- right by the pier -- Awesome seafood and a great atmosphere

More restaurants can be found at http://www.gaslamp.org/dinalpha.php

Have fun!

Some other San Diego restaurant suggestions:

The Fish Market (downstairs more informal, upstairs more expensive). It has a great harbor view and they take reservations, unlike Anthony's.

Any of the Cohn Family restaurants. They are each quite different, have great food, fantastic presentation, and wonderful service. Several are in the Gaslamp, and others are nearby. I love the ribs at the Indigo Grill, and The Prado is an elegant place to eat in Balboa Park. For kids or a fun time, check out the Corvette Diner in Hillcrest.

For steak houses, these are the best (skip Morton's and Ruth Chris...you can eat at these all over the country):

Fleming's. In the Gaslamp.

Rainwater's. Right next to the Amtrak station and only 3 blocks from the cruise ship terminal.

Additional good places to eat in the Gaslamp include:

Sammy's Woodfired Pizza. Multiple locations, but there is one on the lowest level at Horton Plaza shopping mall.

Oceanaire (elegant and expensive, but very good)

Athens Market (wonderful Greek)

Croce's (owned by Jim Croce's widow Ingrid) and the next door Croce''s Jazz Bar.

Chive. Elegant and very upscale trendy. Good food.

Lou & Mickey's. Near Petco Park.

The Field. A classic Irish pub.

Here is a listing of restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter:

http://www.gaslamp.org/dine.php

In Old Town, you can't do better than the Old Town Mexican Cafe. Can be quite a wait, so get there earlier than you plan to dine. For a large group you can arrange a reservation in advance (banquet service).

Wow...so many choices!! I wish we had more than one night! We've decided to take the advice and not have dinner at Dick's...now we just need to decide which one we will go to! Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Hi,

I live in Revelstoke B.C. and taking a cruise Nov. 25 but staying 3 days Prior in what I hear is your lovely city.

Booked at Le Pension( taking a gamble but trying for something a little diff).. So was nice to get the dope on Non Touristry Places and great to hear that lots are right in the Little Italy area.

While we're at it.. What's a place to buy some affordable wines ... Umm... maybe a place to shop for some cruisewear (.. Just in case I actually lose a lb. before leaving).. Um.. best pubs ... coffee houses... I mean we'll be needing Breakfast, Lunch and dinners...

Hey .. just give me the skinny on where the locals go that doesn't cost an arm and a leg....

Thanx

Barb..

Dick's Last Resort is a dive, only rowdy kids there...

The Fish Market next to the Midway is where the locals have lunch...

Tom Ham's Lighthouse has the best view of the city and bay at night, there food is great and their Sunday brunch is Fantastic...

The Gaslamp is nice to visit but it's a tourist trap, and very $$$$$, Seaport village on the other hand is nice and the Jolly Roger has great food...

If you want to stray from the tourist zone catch a cab or drive over to Shelter Island (I grew up in the Kona Marina) The Red Sails in is very informal and has great food and nostalgia, on the commercial side of Shelter Island is Fisherman's Landing, where the fresh catch of the day is brought ashore...

As for shopping Horton Plaza is as good as it gets and with out the tourist markup...

Steve (3rd generation San Diego Native)

Hi,

So was nice to get the dope on Non Touristry Places and great to hear that lots are right in the Little Italy area.

While we're at it.. What's a place to buy some affordable wines ... Umm... maybe a place to shop for some cruisewear (.. Just in case I actually lose a lb. before leaving).. Um.. best pubs ... coffee houses... I mean we'll be needing Breakfast, Lunch and dinners...

Hey .. just give me the skinny on where the locals go that doesn't cost an arm and a leg....

Thanx

Barb..

Best breakfast.....Hash House a Go-Go, but be prepared for a line because it is a place where A LOT of locals go.

Felippi's in Little Italy is fantastic. Reminds me of the pizza places on the east coast.

There are a ton of wine shops in San Diego...and some wine bars and restaurants...The Cask Room and Crush to name two.

Phil's BBQ in Mission Hills and Ortega's Grill in Hillcrest. Hillcrest is a great area to shop little shops with interesting restaurants and coffee houses.

You can also take the Trolley to Old Town and shop and eat there. Take the green line a little further out and you can hit Fashion Valley Mall and Mission Valley Mall. The stops are right at the mall parking lots.

If you want beachy areas you can take the Coaster north to Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside. Carlsbad also has a quaint downtown area with a lot of restaurants and antique shops.

Have fun!

Bobbi

Hey.. I'm getting hungry as we speak... Hash house a go go.. sounds like fun.. not so sure about lining up for breakfast tho.. I live in a town with no street lites(we had one but someone hit it and we all decided a 4 way stop was more civilized).. so waiting for more than six cars in a row at a stop sign gives me ROAD RAGE.. and we don't line up here.. or if we have to it's usually for a beverage line..

.... Thanx again for the suggestions..

Archived