Laptop to TV Connections

TourneyKit

I've read several threads regarding hooking your laptop up to the television in the rooms. I'm confused about which cable to bring and thought I would ask the board. I want to hook my laptop up to the TV in a regular room on the Crown, for both Digital Camera and DVD viewing. I have an "S Video" output on my laptop and want to connect from that to the TV. I notice that the TV's have RCA Jacks for Input, but my question is, do I want an S Video Cable with three RCA Jack outputs, one for Left & Right Sound and one for Video, or do I want the S Video cable with the Single RCA output? Or, are either option acceptable to the TVs onboard?

There are only 2 jacks on the TV yellow/white

You can use the three outlet cord but only 2 will actually work, yellow/white. If you use the cord with one outlet then you will only have pictue and no sound.

I use the 3 cord and leave the red unplugged. :)

There are only 2 jacks on the TV yellow/white

You can use the three outlet cord but only 2 will actually work, yellow/white. If you use the cord with one outlet then you will only have pictue and no sound.

I use the 3 cord and leave the red unplugged. :)

Thank you so much, I have neither and was going to order the single, which would not have worked. But with the triple, I just won't have stereo sound, which I wouldn't have had anyhow .

The original poster's question got me thinking that it would be fun to try to watch DVD's on the TV in our cabin. I usually take two computers; one for my wife and one for myself. One is a Thinkpad 600E with no TV out connection. The other is a Thinkpad 600X that has an S-video tv out connection. The 600E works to view DVD's on the computer using a Margi codec card in the bottom pcmcia slot. The Margi card has tv out capability using composite RCA cables, red, white and yellow. On the 600X, I plan to try the special IBM cable that attaches to the computer's s-video out and then plug an s-video to composite converter into the IBM s-video cable and run it to the yellow RCA input on the tv. Audio is provided by using the headphone connection on the computer which I believe is a 3.5mm plug and use a 3.5mm to RCA converter which converts the 3.5mm connection to RCA red and white input connections to the tv.

The 600E runs on Windows 2000 Pro, sp4, and the 600X runs on XP Pro, sp2. I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks

Archived