Top Chef

Curt Jerome Wild

So if anyone saw it (no spoilers)...

I am not surprised, in both the winner and the eliminated...

This was the week for editors to do the "shocking elimination"...

I don't want to give my specific people opinions, until other people weigh in here,

My big problem I'm realizing with this show (as opposed to America's Next Top Model, or Project Runway) is that I can't actually "taste" the food...

On the previous shows I'm mentioning (and I'm expecting on the upcoming Top Designer show) I can SEE the results, and have an emotional part of...

I can judge for myself and have my own opinions...

Problem here on Top Chef, is that I am pseudo-involved, in that I can't taste anyone's food or results to agree or disagree with the judges...

So, I'm just left with "enjoying" trying to "guess" how the editors and producers are "creating" drama with the show...

That being said, I don't want to give any further opinions or guesses until other people jump in here, then I have a lot to say...

:confused: :p :D

CJW

Okay just my general notes and ideas before tonights episode (and about the last couple of weeks)...

First of all (and they do this on a lot of the shows - Project Runway, etc., and it doesn't work on any of them)...

I hate, hate, hate the whole "team" challenges, where it's always then the default team leader who gets kicked off.

For example of PR, they always have certain team challenges where they have to pitch a design, then the winning ideas are chosen as the team leaders. Then whichever of those loses, it's the leader who goes home.

Uhmm, what about all the other people whose ideas weren't even good enough to get chosen? They just fly under the radar.

Same thing here last week, with Elia as team leader...

Honestly Cliff should have gone, he was mean, a bully, talked over eveyone, forced his opinion on the group; and then let Elia take the fall (because even though Elia was "voted" team leader, he really bullied himself into that position, until they lost of course).

I know that they have this theory of it's always going to be a job where they have to work as a "team" - but that's where someone is the Head Chef of the kitchen, and the other chefs are paid to, and there to work under that person's leadership. Here they are fighting to win a competition, so people are only looking out for themselves a lot of the time, and have no problem sabotaging others on their team.

Also, it was obvious that Michael and Mia had created the two best dishes (the judges said) of the entire night, but because their team as a whole loses, then they're on the chopping block.

Now so far, I'm really cheering for Elia and Michael.

Even though I don't think he will win, I think that Michael has really paid attention and learned and grown in the competition. Hopefully he will continue to do that. Also, he has always been relaxed, cool, casual and funny throught the competition. Yes, he's a big goofball, but even under the most stressful instances where he could have, he's never "snapped" at anyone (yet...)

Continuing these in shorter posts, because I'm "a-scurred" of the dreaded blank screen, lost, and triple posts that are happening lately!:(

Anyway, Elia has become a big favorite of mine now...

Again, she learned early on and has done well and won or been at the top of challenges ever since...

One of the episodes, she realized that the judges "palates" were completely different than hers, and has adjusted accordingly ever since...

She also is always professional (at least after she got her chocolate meltdown out of her system, but even then I think it was the right moment where there needed that to break the tension); and working with the people. She can get along with everyone including Marcel with no problem, and that to me would be a great person who could lead in the kitchen as I'm sure she would be very pleasant to work with and work "under"....

I think that her one thing she may need to work on is stepping up a little more on creativity, and not limiting herself...

Which brings me to Marcel...

Alright, I am rooting for him to do well. Not necessarily win, but I really feel like he is being unecessarily picked on (previously and now) by the editing and especially the other chefs.

Editing - it seems to me like they really didn't have a "villain" or bad guy this time (like Tiffani last time); so they desperately tried to turn a nerdy, naive, younger brother type into a villain. And by younger brother type, I mean you know how in certain families there is that one younger brother who is about 5 years younger than everybody else; and just always desperately wants to play with the big kids? And then they play with the big kids and end up getting hurt, but then they still want to play with the big kids, because there's no one else their age to play with anyway?

That's my take on Marcel.

Go back through all of the episodes and find Marcel deliberately hurting anyone else. The editors used one time where he "stared" at Betty when her burners didn't heat fast enough. (Which to me is the equivalent of the little brother pointing at you, and saying "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you" - I hope you know that game I'm talking about. You can either let it drive you crazy, or just ignore it).

But, this was after Betty was outright being happy that his deep fryer didn't heat fast enough.

Marcel has never directly hurt anyone, he has either ignored or tried to laugh off everyone else's direct hurts and insults. And never fought back.

He has gone out of his way to help several people, even after they have hurt him or made fun of him.

(Example helping Betty with her pseudo-creme brulee - which should would not have gotten out on time -, and then blaming him in front of the judges for it tasting bad. All he did was help her scorch the tops, and the judges even said it had nothing to do with that as Betty was trying to blame, but the dish as a whole wasn't even a brulee, and was old and boring).

Which brings me to...

All of these supposed professional chefs as they say "throwing each other under the bus" at a moment's notice.

It immature, it's rude, it's wimpy, and I hate people like that.

Betty started this show off as someone I really liked.

She was really walking that line of being pleasant and witty, but also telling it like it is... That was great.

Then, over the past few weeks, she just kept getting more and more crossing the line into just plain petty and mean for me...

Cheating in that diet food challenge (I was willing to give it as a one time mistake then, but now not so much), especially when everyone else in the competition "heard" the rules. I think she heard the rules, she just thought that she could "bend" them.

Then, she has gone on to be mean, name call, and throw people under the bus. And, I think she can only do "comfort food" and "catering" - both her strengths, and once the challenges started going anywhere outside of those two realms she could never step it up, especially in creativity.

Then, Cliff, Sam, and Ilan have all just turned into big bullies for me. I'm not rooting for any of them at this point (even though I was before).

Cliff throws anyone and everyone under the bus at a moments notice, and he's arrogant and conceited on top of it.

Sam I think is losing his composure with the stress and lack of sleep, and the cracks in his shining armor are starting to show.

Ilan, can go now as far as I'm concerned. He was fine as long as he was in the top. As soon as he's in the bottom, he get's petty, bullying, and needlessly spiteful. He reminds me of one of those kids who always gets A's and wins the school competitions, but as soon as they get a C or lose something they can't handle it and get mean and nasty. Sore losers!

His comments to Marcel were absolutely mean, petty and absolutely uncalled for - regardless of what they had to do with anything cooking or the competition - they were just personal attacks.

Then, throwing him under the bus now several times, but making that little "dig" comment about cherries lowering your libido in front of the dinner guests was just too low for me. He lost all my respect right then and there.

Then, he makes the loser funnel cakes, doesn't know what to do, Elia comes up with a last minute try a simple syrup - maybe that will help save your losing dish; then when he get's called in the bottom for it - he blames it on Elia! Elia didn't make your over dried crappy funnel cakes! She was giving you some last minute brain storms on ideas to try to save it. Loser.

Anyway, that's it for now. And here I said a few posts before I said that I was "pseudo-involved", because I can't taste the food.

But think that's it, I can't be impartial by tasting the food. I can only go by the personalities, behavior, and editing.

Whew! Essay over, see if anything I said has anything to do with tonight's show. I don't know, but hopefully you enjoyed reading.:o

CJW

Great analysis & it was worth waiting for. Thank you for taking the time to write it. I was glad to see someone else's views were so close to mine.

OT-but will you be following "Top Design"? If so, please start a thread for the show when it starts.

Also, OT-my daughter is going to the Barbie convention and is so excited that Robert Best is going to be there. She also said that Tim Gunn has not signed his contract for the next season. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks again.

Curt Jerome I totally agree with all you stated. They(Cliff, Sam and Ilan) are a bunch of sissy boys that whine and are full of their own crap. I have definitely stopped rooting for any of them. I am with the underdogs Elia and Marcel!!!

I've been surprised at the mistakes these professionals have made that even I would know better than.

As soon as I saw those funnel cakes getting fried in prep, I knew they would be a disaster. Fried dough items simply don't reheat well. Why didn't he know that?

And, in an earlier episode, Frank planned to do a quiche and was then confronted by an open fire. So, why didn't he just turn quiche to fritata? Or omelets? Those thoughts both crossed my mind immediately.

Don't read further if you aren't caught up...

I was glad to see Michael win twice in one show. It was nice to see him actually come out on top. I'm not so sure he deserved to be booted the next round, but he really doesn't belong there at this stage. I liek to think the judges were surprised by his back-to-back wins and felt like they had to get rid of him while they had the chance.

I still believe Sam is going to win this. He "feels" like the most accomplished chef.

CJW, I see how you see Marcel as the put upon one. And, he does have those cute eyes. But, I find him to be "uppity." He reminds me of the contestant from an earlier season that was always doing very chichi dishes, showing off his wine knowledge, talking down to diners. He's just not likable to me. There has to be some reason almost everyone has lit into him big time IMHO.

I can see this show just going away fast. First the chef's are just mean to each other. There is no mentoring or guidance. And that judge panel has been trying to off Michael for weeks. The judges never liked his attitude, and respecting Michael he never threw anyone under the bus.

They had to keep Elia she is the lone woman. She does have talent.

My take on Marcel. He is socially inept and a nerd who tries but just does not get it. He was featured in his worst at first thinking he would get kicked out. Now the editors have to do some serious he is not that horrid editing. The poor kid rapping to himself on the roof makes my mothers heart cry.

I am hoping the design show will be more like Project Runway. That will have to go to Floataway lounge. But watching Uncle Fester this season make snide comments to the contestants, and then running to the judges with them just kind of turns my stomach.

The prior week, they sent Betty packing because of gritty soups. Now this week they kept Marcel when he served raw chicken?!? Instead they sent Mickey packing because he came off as lazy. Raw chicken guy should have gone, but I think he was kept because of the "drama" he provides with the others.

I love,love, love Top Chef----

I think Ilea is the most talented and in my opinion she should win. Sam is pretentious and I don't care for him too much. My faves were Mikey and Betty...but of course, they are both gone :mad: Can't stomach Marcel. I like Cliffe, but he can be a snake.

I'm so upset that I will be missing the final as I will be on AOS that week. Thank Goodness Bravo repeats the shows.

New Episode tonight! Heads up!

As far as last week, I still think that Elia is now my favorite.

Like I said before I do think that Marcel is like an annoying little brother; but I don't think that anyone deserves getting ganged up on.

To me it's just typical bully behavior to choose someone as the one who doesn't fit in, and just choose for them to be the outsider.

I've seen it happen too many times from kindergarden to corporate, 6 year olds to 60 year olds, and I don't care if you don't like someone or they annoy you; there's no excuse for the behavior.

Again, I really don't think there is any way to judge these team challenges fairly. Especially when the judges don't really know who did what, and basically rely on people taking credit for themselves, or people ratting each other out (sometimes falsely) to decide.

I don't think that Michael derved to go last week. Again, I think he didn't have too many more weeks in him, but it was unfair. He bought items on a list that al three (Sam, Ilan, and Michael) made and decided on together. None of them thought to provide dishes or anything for the olives or the bread, or it would have been on the list. And Michael had no part in deciding not to buy and serve wine. That was one of the biggest complaints and it was Sam and Ilan's decision.

Sam's desert everyone hated. Ilan made a good meatball, but then made terrible pasta that no one liked. He also burned all of the bacon.

On the other side of things, Cliff again over ran and bullied over Elia and Marcel and their server! He bulldozed over Elia doing front of the house, which she probably would have been very good at with her personality and experience. And he was terrible at it. And again threw everyone under the bus at the judge's table. If you were so great Cliff how come the judges couldn't find one stand out winner?

Regarding Marcel and the chicken wings. Yes, he undercooked the chicken wings. He also made the tempura vegetables with aoili, that was the diners and judges favorite dish of the entire challenge. So, there's a balance there.

I would have dumped Cliff at this challenge for his behavior and his performance (or lack thereof).

At the same token, I thought this was a challenge where you couldn't really fairly judge anyone, because they all took on different jobs.

How do you judge someone's front of the house skills, against someone's shopping skills? Or against someone's concept skills?

So I think they just went on past performances, and took Mikey's double win last week as "Well, he made Top Chef history, so that's a big enough reward for him. Let's just dump him now".

Anyway, it will be interesting to see tonight.

It is getting interesting.:D

CJW

I am also an Elia fan. SHe is a talented chef that has some tough competition ahead of her. I think her lack of confidence light get to her. I hated to see her give up so easily tonight. Thank goodness she took Sam's advice about crumbling up the hearts.

i'm feeling blue today! i guess when i was that young i would forget about the rules and get wild too. like elia said "if i don't do it now i never will" i am not quite sure whom i am routing for . sam and elan actualy have some talent. but elia has a LOT going for her. it's too bad she behaved so childishly with the hair shaving. why did they ask for a camera that night anyway? by the way i am sure the judges see things differently than we do "for the sake of making things entertaining"

i also figured out marcel's hair last night, tell me if you agree?

it's either Jimmy neutron or a dairy queen ice cream cone!!!:p

i can hardly wait till Hawaii.. thought i had missed 2 episodes while i was cruising at christmas. glad they took a break too!i:cool:

Just watched the latest episode and was disappointed with the text survey of who hated Marcel the most. I mean how junior high was that?

Marcel is annoying, there's no doubt about it. I worked with a man who could be his clone when it comes to personalities and it took me a while to stop letting his insecurities from getting under my skin. Most workplaces have one or two people that are just annoying to you or to everyone, but you get over it and concentrate on the task at hand. What bothers me is the way it has been handled on this show. I mean sure they want to grab our interest and keep us coming back to see what happens... but that survey was way out of line IMHO. :(

Okay, that said I'm glad that all four remaining are going to Hawaii. The incident with Cliff was very unfortunate. I can see where it could happen, with the relief of the last competition out of the way, things got out of control. Really Sam, Ilan or Elia should have stopped Cliff but we don't know everything that was edited out. I'm not sure who has the advantage for the final competition. Hopefully the four remaining will use the time between this last episode and the final one in Hawaii to put the pettiness aside and really step up to the challenge.;)

I can't realy decide how I feel about the group - It's hard to say what realy happened after the film has been edited. I wish Cliff had pulled himself back before it all got so far out of hand.

I'm looking forward to what each of them brings to Hawaii.

I'll be on the Glory for the final episode - but my roommate will be taping it for me. Being Bravo - I know there will be a marathon for me to see it if the tape doesn't work.

As I've felt from almost the get go -- it's Sam's to lose. He's had the most consistent success. But, he can screw up. Just like any of them.

I just don't like Marcel. I know part of it is his goofy, wolfboy hair. He's a real passive agressive piece of work. However, his presentations are almost always exquisite looking.

Elia and Ilan just don't seem to really have it as together as Sam. What was with Ilan's liver and chocolate bonbon?And Elia just basically recreated the dessert she did for the quick challenge and then screwed that up.

Excepting that one blow up on Marcel (which I think everyone has managed to do), Sam has been very even keeled and focused on the food. His dishes always sound good -- and all we have to go on is looks and the list of ingredients. I'll really be surprised if he doesn't win.

Archived