Drinking Age on Costa Mediterranea

sophiecruiser

Anyone know what the drinking age is on the Mediterranea? Are there any restrictions for 20 year olds? Some other cruise lines will not allow entry to some of the clubs at night if the passenger is not 21 years old - for others the age is 18 years old. Any info is appreciated!

Sophie

Sophie. I'll assume you are cruising on the Med. in the caribbean.

In that case, basing my info from my Magica carib. cruise, the drinking age will follow USA rules and be 21. It was riggorously (sp?) enforced by the bartenders/cocktail staff and by a denotation on the Costa card. Though aggrivating, it was for a good reason. 2 months before i sailed a teenager (i think she was 15 or something) from ireland was left by herself and drank at aft bar on magica west carib. later that night she jumped (or fell) overboard. parents say it was costa's fault for serving her, she got sick and puked and fell as she leaned over to puke. CC members who were in the room next door dictating second by second events say otherwise. it's a big ordeal you can read all about it on this forum but basically thats why they were so strict when i cruised.

now wheter or not they are that strick come a year later, who knows.

but really does it matter. honestly it's not that hard to get booze on a cruise if you want to.

as for the clubs, one great thing about costa in the carib is that everyone is welcome! teens and adults alike all mingle and have a great time in the disco. they do not check ID's at the door nor do they kick teens out. it was much fun!

oh btw on the magica the disco was all teens till 11pm at night. meaning there were events for teens every night till 11pm in the disco and the music did not even start to play till 11, so basically us adults chilled out 'till the party started.

hope that helps...

Joe.

Thanks Joe, that information is very helpful. We are doing a mediterranean cruise. How awful for the family of the 15 year old girl- but I wonder why they would allow so much time to pass and not know where she was!

It's great to hear that my 20 year old daughter will have no trouble getting into the clubs. She loves to dance and last time she cruised with us was on RCCL when she was 17 years old and they would not allow her entry to the clubs at night. Also if I remember correctly they would serve beer and wine to 18,19 and 20 year olds. You had to be 21 to drink the stronger stuff.

Sophie

Archived