Acapulco

eded

We are booked on the Golden Princess to the Mexican Rivera April 07. My wife is confined to a wheelchair and can only make easy transfers. We are looking for tour recommendations in Acapulco. Ed and Jean

Not a tour, but we have been told that the five-pointed fort directly across from the cruise terminal, on top of the hill, is an interesting visit for history buffs. We were told it is accessible, though a little steep going in. Haven't tried it yet--we went along the malecon and then over to the artisans' market, mostly by way of the streets, as the curb cuts were often blocked, led by a local (and somewhat pushy! :rolleyes: ) guide.

Not a tour, but we have been told that the five-pointed fort directly across from the cruise terminal, on top of the hill, is an interesting visit for history buffs. We were told it is accessible, though a little steep going in. Haven't tried it yet--we went along the malecon and then over to the artisans' market, mostly by way of the streets, as the curb cuts were often blocked, led by a local (and somewhat pushy! :rolleyes: ) guide.

We walked over to the Fort San Diego in January when we stopped in Acapulco. As you exit the cruise shop area, up on the street you go to your left. It is about 1 or 2 blocks down and then you walk up a ramp area (probably about 3 stories up) to get to the bridge that goes over the traffic to get to the fort. We were the only ones in the ramp area, most people came by car to the fort. At one point, we commented how isolated we felt in the ramp area ... so I definitely wouldn't do it alone.

We didn't go into the fort. We saw $30 for admission and was shocked at the high price ... didn't even think that it was pecos not US $ so would of been $3 to get in per person. We had such a laugh later when we realized our mistake. The view is beautiful from there and it was worth the walk.

What I remember most about Acapulco was how uneven the sidewalks are. My BIL uses a scooter. They told us on the ship he would be able to get around into town on the sidewalks. WRONG. We were so relieved he had decided not to go with us on our walk, as it was definitely too uneven for the scooter. A wheelchair may be a bit easier to naviagate on there, not sure.

Our recent cruise had a stop in Acapulco. I brought a scooter and cane to use (depending on situation) and the tour we'd booked was cancelled; it seemed that those available that might be accessible were all booked. The shore excursion personnel on board advised that the cliff divers site was NOT accessible.

We decided to wing it. Acapulco is full of taxis. Someone said that the lower the cab number, the more experienced the cabbie--heard that AFTER we left Acapulco. Anyway, we had an enjoyable tour with a cabbie; he took us to accessible areas. We learned that the cliff divers hotel location IS accessible, so were able to observe there. Did note a real lack of curb cut-outs in most of Acapulco and EXTREMELY BUSY streets--not safe for scooter use. Hope this helps--or does it muddle your query??

Archived