Pride of Hawaii 10/9-16 Review

slowly

Hello Everyone!

Thanks to those who helped our cruise by adding reviews. Again, the best tip was to book your dinner for the week as soon as you board. The other is to rent a car in Maui through Thrifty by calling them directly and be a Blue Chip member.

I would like to start off by saying we live in Oahu so my review may seem boring and more geared to those who want to take advantage of the ship. Yes, Hawaii is a beautiful place and we are lucky to be lving here. I'll add tips for Maui.

I was pleasantly suprised with the service of the "American" crew in that it definitely wasn't as bad as I had heard. Then again, it's definitely not top notch. For starters our room attendant, Arnold, was very attentative and our room was very clean. He even made animal towels for our kids during turn-down service. The service at the Specialty Restuarants ie Jasmine and Cagneys were exceptional, whereas the service we had at Ailzars was very bad. The kids meal didn't come out until we were almost finished with our meal. We specifically told the waiter as we were seated and during the meal we wanted the kids served first so they could attend a Kid's Crew event. During the cruise we ate 5 nights out of 7 at the cover charge Specialty Rest. You can order as much as you want including at Cagneys. The bananas fosters made by Josh was out of this world! The steaks are to die for as well. Get all the sides you want. On Tues. I would recommend going to the buffet because they serve grilled lobsters! Speaking of the buffet, we thought the selections were great and the pizza was always hot and yummy! Granted the non-sellers on the line looked dry and unreplenished. Definitely something they need to work on. The Sushi bar was bit of a joke but the chefs are fun. If you are relatively new to sushi or you only like select things then you might like it. Go early in the week since they only get provisions once a week in Oahu. Jasmine was great, we literally ordered everything on the menu. The beef is out of this world. The Tepanyaki was ok, depends on the chef. Our's was nice but very slow. Le Bistro was good for a romantic evening even though we had to wait even after being acknowledged by the Host. I made sure someone knew I was upset for having to wait. But the dinner was very good especially the apps. I ordered two of the lobster ones, they were small. The mussels were incredible! Again we ate 5 out of the 7 nights at the Specialty rests. it's a good investment in food.

Sorry jumping around. Maui was fun since we rented a car and there is ample parking on the pier and the shuttle picks you up and drops you off. they definitely give priority over airport passengers. In Maui, go to the Aquarium and the mini golf right next door. The mini-golf is interesting because there is bumper water boats and we literally had a blast there! Bring your swim suits-you''ll get wet! At the other ports we just took the free shuttles to the stores. Oh, in the Big Island make sure you stop by the Big Island Candy factory. They are a favorite among locals from the other Islands since they only sell it at that store. Other companies have been sued for knock-offs so this is the real McCoy in terms of macadamia shortbread cookies.

Back to the ship. I was disappointed that ship did not have a walkup 24 hr restuarant like on the STAR. Rather they have the Blue Lagoon which is open about 23hrs including dinners. I missed walking up and getting a burger and fries to go. The ship was clean. The pool(s) were small and there was no kids area with the exception of a 2ft pool for real small kids. No power slides just the long winding one on the main pool. The water was salty! The amenities were adequate but not thrilling. My wife enjoyed the full service Spa. All $300 worth of it! One session, that was actually a bargain!

The Kid's Crew. Our 7 yr old had a blast and our 3 yr old was traumatized by her aide. This particular aide was not friendly at all nor was she energetic. She basically did not want to be there and it showed in her interaction with the other kids as the days progressed her class became smaller. This was mentioned on our comment card.

Overall I would recommend this to passengers looking to get away to HI, first timers and ones who want to simply relax. If you are looking for top service, food, activities on board and ship amenities this is not the cruise for you. Sorry I rambled but hopefully this helps.

Oh, in the Big Island make sure you stop by the Big Island Candy factory. They are a favorite among locals from the other Islands since they only sell it at that store. Other companies have been sued for knock-offs so this is the real McCoy in terms of macadamia shortbread cookies.

Which port (Hilo or Kona) will this be at?

Oh, in the Big Island make sure you stop by the Big Island Candy factory. They are a favorite among locals from the other Islands since they only sell it at that store. Other companies have been sued for knock-offs so this is the real McCoy in terms of macadamia shortbread cookies.

In the Hilton Hawaiin Villiage on Ohau they have a store "Hawaiin Cookie Co" all they sell is Macadamia Shortbread cookied. They have sample of every kind they make. This store is NOT knock-off but the real thing

Big Island Candies is in Hilo. It is just a few blocks up the road from the airport. Many tour buses stop there. It is also very easy to get to if you have a rental car. If you have a few extra minutes before dropping your car at the airport, you can make a stop at Big Island Candies. It is located in a big freestyle building with a large parking lot right in front.

They will offer you a small sample of the cookies and a piece of candy. There is also a free sample of their coffee. I have been known to stop in there while I am running errands in Hilo.....just for the free bite of cookie and a shot of coffee!

We LOVE this place. The shortbread cookies are delicious. Everything is packaged beautifully.....nice gifts to take home with you. And, if you buy a large amount, they will package it in cardboard cases with carrying handles. At the Hilo airport, you will always see us locals carrying these cases....bringing some of the goodies to whoever we are visiting!!

Which port (Hilo or Kona) will this be at?

Sorry. It's in Hilo. Get the assorted box that has three types of dipped chocolate shortbread cookies.

In the Hilton Hawaiin Villiage on Ohau they have a store "Hawaiin Cookie Co" all they sell is Macadamia Shortbread cookied. They have sample of every kind they make. This store is NOT knock-off but the real thing

Ok, do the math. The store located at the Hilton was established in 1998. Big Island Candies has been doing it since 1977. Enough said.

Archived