cruisetour confusion

schoolmarm

I am totally confused about the luggage situation on our cruise tour. Our documents say that our luggage will follow us to McKinley Lodge from Anchorage. (Princess tour) We will be on the train from Anchorage to Talkeetna, and then take the shuttle to McKinley lodge. Then we take a tour bus to Denali on the next day. After that we take the train again to Fairbanks the following day. It seems to me that we will have our luggage each night. But our docs say to pack an overnight bag for the train to Denali. We won't be on the train to Denali, we'll be on a bus. Has anyone taken this tour? What was your experience with the luggage situation?

[quote name='schoolmarm']I am totally confused about the luggage situation on our cruise tour. Our documents say that our luggage will follow us to McKinley Lodge from Anchorage. (Princess tour) We will be on the train from Anchorage to Talkeetna, and then take the shuttle to McKinley lodge. Then we take a tour bus to Denali on the next day. After that we take the train again to Fairbanks the following day. It seems to me that we will have our luggage each night. But our docs say to pack an overnight bag for the train to Denali. We won't be on the train to Denali, we'll be on a bus. Has anyone taken this tour? What was your experience with the luggage situation?[/QUOTE]
I'd call Princess to see if you can clarify it. We didn't take any buses, only the train. You would think with a bus your luggage would be with you. Our docs last year, if I remember correctly, said "if" you are on the train, and spending one night in Denali, pack an overnight bag.

Perhaps the reason for the overnight bag statement is that is all you have room for on the train- under your seat. Your bags do go to your room each night. You are on a short tour with a lot of time in transit, so I would do as mentioned above, contact Princess with a call to them at Egan Center rather than the home offices?

We did a very similar tour but backwards to what you are doing. THERE WAS NO LUGGAGE IN DENALI.. Just as your information says, you need to pack a overnight bag with a change of clothing that will fit under the seat of the train. You will see your luggage again in Fairbanks. It is not a big deal.
If you are going to spend more than 1 night at Denali you will have luggage.
As imcompitent as we found Princess to be I can see why they don't want to handle your luggage more than they have to.
Russ

On our tour, we did a dome train from Fairbanks to Denali, staying over night at McKinley Village then train again to Talkeetna. Both times our luggage followed by bus and met us at the hotels each night. There is not a lot of room on the train for big bags but the seating is large and VERY comfortable. The train trip was wonderful and the food on board was impressive. The staff is also super. BTW we had our cruise/tour through Celebrity.

My concern is that I don't want to take a carry on with me if I don't have to! I just want to take my camera bag. I'll call Princess early next week and see what they say. It seems everyone has done the opposite of our trip and taken the train to Denali from Fairbanks. But we are taking the bus to Denali and then the train to Fairbanks. It's confusing!! :confused:

If memory serves, the McKinley Lodge is actually the official hotel at "Denali". To go into Denali itself ( the park) you take a bus--no cars allowed. It's a national park. You'll probably go in for the day, be given a box lunch by the Lodge, and return to the Lodge to sleep. That's how I recall it. Maybe someone has more updated info.

Archived