Half Moon Cay - Info on Sailing?

JesMil

Hello all. We are scheduled to be at HMC, on the Westerdam, in December. My husband is an avid sailor, and I notice the Hobbie Cats in many of the photos shared by you CCers. Has anyone out there rented one of the Hobbie Cats? What is the charge? Is there any good wind? How long can one use the boat?

Hello all. We are scheduled to be at HMC, on the Westerdam, in December. My husband is an avid sailor, and I notice the Hobbie Cats in many of the photos shared by you CCers. Has anyone out there rented one of the Hobbie Cats? What is the charge? Is there any good wind? How long can one use the boat?

We were at HMC in March on the Volendam and rented a Cat. It was a spur of the moment decision and it was one of the top experiences of our cruise. The Cats are slightly undersailed to make sure that we cannot get into trouble but they are very nice to play with. We rented one right off the beach and I think the charge was around $50.00 and hour, though we kept ours for at least 2 1/2 hours we were still chargeed only $50.00. The water is very clear and warm, and the bay broad enough to allow plenty of sailing room. The winds were steady and not buffeting, and was blowing towards shore. I think that you can use the Cat for as long as you wish. My only note of caution is that if more than one ship is at HMC you might want to reserve a Cat just to make sure that you can get one. We were there with the Westerdam and there wasn't an issue, but you never know.

They have 2 types of sailboats, the sunfish style for 2 and a hobbie cat catamaran for 4. They rent for $40 and $50 per hr respectively. The day we were at HMC no wind at all and so we opted not to rent.

They are located on the beach past the swim area and you sign up for them at the watersport shack down the beach.

Thanks prior posters for the information. I did not realize they had the sun fish variety of boat also. I think we will opt for the Hobbie. We would really enjoy 2 1/2 hours of sailing in paradise! Thanks again.

Archived