Just back! Spirit 10-19 thru 10-29

xranger39@aol.com

Hi!

Did anyone find there to be accessible and inexpensive Internet Cafes in the Spirit's Ports?

The ship is so expensive...I spent mere euros in European ports checking my email instead of big bucks on the ship.

Posting this on a couple of threads...

Howard

Other than the sailaway and Barbados did they have anymore barbeques on deck in the afternoon? On my first Dawn cruise they seemed to have more than on my second. The ribs were delicious.

In June we were supposed to have many sailaway parties but it was too windy and they had to be cancelled.

Other than the sailaway and Barbados did they have anymore barbeques on deck in the afternoon? On my first Dawn cruise they seemed to have more than on my second. The ribs were delicious.

In June on the Spirit, we were supposed to have many sailaway parties but it was too windy and they had to be cancelled.

In June on the Spirit, we were supposed to have many sailaway parties but it was too windy and they had to be cancelled.

Lisa,

thaks for the review it was great. I am going on the Spirit Nov 19 and I can't wait. I love reading all the reviews. Just a few questions, well for now, did they have lobster tails with the surf and turf? What were the drink prices? And I don't think your cheap for going to dinner a little earlier, I am going to do the same thing, on sea days anyway. I am glad you had a great time and I might have more?????'s Thanks Cathi, oh and I'm glad to hear no bed bugs, that report upset me a bit, Cathi

I wrote the reviews and the posts re: bed Bugs. I stand by my posts/reviews. I am not trying to ruin anyone's trip. Please just check your staterooms very carefully! Our statroom attendant was very nice. She explained NCL has recently nearly doubled the number of staterooms they clean (2x per day). Making it very hard to clean as good as they would like. If they can miss pills and earrings, don't you think they can miss bugs that can range anywhere between the size of a poopy seed to maybe 1/3 of an inch.

We had them bad in 10166. We showed the asst. front desk manager a couple we had in a tissue (morning of the second day). We were reassigned to to 6506 later on the second day. On the 9th day I awoke with one running down my arm. (My husband video taped that one before we took it to the Hotel Director -rather large one . I will send anyone interested the still pix/video as we transfer our video to the computer.) I have a more extensive post on the review that I posted.

Just please, please, please, check before you wake with bites and are out to sea. At least (worst case) you have greater options.

Regarding the dining rooms......

I know I wrote a really long post. I am guilty of skipping through a long post to look for highlights, so it's not a problem if you missed something. I should have prefaced my dining room experiences with the following:

Peak dining hours are between 6:30 and 8:30. Although I did not experience a wait personally, I am sure that there may have been a time that a small line built up due to the fact that a large party may have had to wait or a show just let out and everyone had the same idea to eat! But like I said, I didn't experience a wait. I think tables for 2 are accomodated rather quickly.

Regarding the internet.....

We did get an internet package because we had a coupon from NCL. The package we bought was 100 minutes (plus the free 15) for 55 dollars. You also get a free 10 minutes if you book an internet package on the 1st day of the cruise, which brought our total to 25 free minutes. Also, if you wanted to try your luck, there was a raffle drawing the 1st night of the cruise to enter to win 500 free minutes. And, it's not very well publicized in the dailies. Keep a look out for the sign in the internet room. There were a few days towards the end of the cruise where you received 50% off the standard per minute rate at certain times of the day. Also, if you booked certain spa packages there was a bonus of free internet minutes. Personally, I always feel safer with the cruise line getting my money rather than an onshore cafe using my credit card number. That is just my opinion, I have never been taken advantage of in countries like Bermuda and Colombia where I did use an internet cafe. BTW...there is a surcharge of 3.95 for your initial setup of the internet packages and a 50 cents charge for each page you print.

About the bedbugs.....

You know what, I just didn't see any and to be honest I didn't look (and hadn't been forewarned by fellow posters and friends who have been on this ship). I guess I have never been a bedbug victim and I hope not to learn the hard way! I spend 3 of my 5 workweek nights in a hotel, so I guess I have either been lucky or have just gotten used to living in rooms shared by hundreds of people each year.

About the deck parties.....

I reviewed my dailies and only saw those 2 deck parties. But like I said, the pool band would get passengers involved on sea days, but the wind was so bad that the pool (sans band) area was not so busy.

About the lobster......

I concur with electricron. It was the 2nd night or the "1st" night at sea...the only formal optional dress code of the cruise.

Any more questions, let me know.

I wrote the reviews and the posts re: bed Bugs. I stand by my posts/reviews. I am not trying to ruin anyone's trip. Please just check your staterooms very carefully! Our statroom attendant was very nice. She explained NCL has recently nearly doubled the number of staterooms they clean (2x per day). Making it very hard to clean as good as they would like. If they can miss pills and earrings, don't you think they can miss bugs that can range anywhere between the size of a poopy seed to maybe 1/3 of an inch. What did they do if anything about this, beside moving you? Have they had the ship professionaly fumigated, so no one else will go through this? I would like to hear from anyone else who was on the same cruise as you if they had a problem also, ANYONE???

We had them bad in 10166. I sure hope this infestation has been cleared up, my cabin is just on the other side of this one.We showed the asst. front desk manager a couple we had in a tissue (morning of the second day). We were reassigned to to 6506 later on the second day. On the 9th day I awoke with one running down my arm. (My husband video taped that one before we took it to the Hotel Director -rather large one . I will send anyone interested the still pix/video as we transfer our video to the computer.) I have a more extensive post on the review that I posted.

Why don't you post this picture on here to show people what you had, because let me tell you, you have freaked out alot of people with up coming Spirit cruises...including me.Just please, please, please, check before you wake with bites and are out to sea. At least (worst case) you have greater options.[/quote]Wow!, what a fun way to start a vacation...on a bug hunt! I really wish I had never seen this post about this subject.

>Why don't you post this picture on here to show people what you had, because let me tell you, you have freaked out a lot of people with up coming Spirit cruises...including me.

It is a still to be taken from digital video. I am not sure how to post to the group. Please explain how.

Freaked out??? I am still freaked out. It will be weeks before I can relax about the safety of my home.

>Wow!, what a fun way to start a vacation...on a bug hunt! I really wish I had never seen this post about this subject.

I am sorry. In your shoes, I would also find it upsetting. But would you rather learn the hard way, after you return and have possibly introduced them into your home? At least we learned while on ship, before we got home, and followed some preventative procedures. I have to wonder how may not have been so lucky? Additionally, now that I have made the Ship's staff and cruise line very aware, perhaps there has been an intesive clean-up onboard.

>let me tell you, you have freaked out alot of people with up coming Spirit cruises...including me

After what I have learned, I will not leave out of NYC anytime soon. I do not mean to offend any New Yorkers, I am just to freaked out.

Please explain, just what did you learn that makes you not want to leave from NY again?

Thanks for all of the great info, it is making the wait for this trip more enjoyable.

Was there a murder mystery night? What time were most of the shows?

Yes, there was a murder mystery night. Don't recall the time of this though. The main shows in the Stardust were at 7:30 and 9:30.

Please explain, just what did you learn that makes you not want to leave from NY again?

During my meeting with the ships Hotel Director, he stated that docking in NYC presented challenges regarding bed bugs. It has been reported in the media (20/20, 60 minutes, etc.)that NYC is one of the worst places affected.

Additionally, after telling some of my friends about my bug experience, they said the very same thing. Just last night Inside Edition featured two incidents. One was a woman badly bitten while spending the night in a NYC luxury hotel. The other was a couple whose home got infested after they returned home from a cruise. (Not sure wht ship or line.)

Archived