Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

I think we gave them 4 or 6 weeks notice. You should order now. I will try to make a long story short.

Carnival used to allow this too. But they have since stopped letting them deliver anything but beer and wine. They sent a letter to wellwishers and told them not to take orders for hard liquor anymore. Those that had already placed orders, no matter how far in advance their cruise was, were still allowed to get their liquor. It was only for future orders. This is the story that wellwishers told me about carnival. Moral of the story....get your order in before RCI follows suit. It is only a matter of time.

We did not order beer as we are not big beer drinkers. But, wellwishers prices on beer are better than the cruise line. So if you like beer, I would order some from them.

thank you...very informative. Ill probably call within the next couple of days!

I think we gave them 4 or 6 weeks notice. You should order now. I will try to make a long story short.

Carnival used to allow this too. But they have since stopped letting them deliver anything but beer and wine. They sent a letter to wellwishers and told them not to take orders for hard liquor anymore. Those that had already placed orders, no matter how far in advance their cruise was, were still allowed to get their liquor. It was only for future orders. This is the story that wellwishers told me about carnival. Moral of the story....get your order in before RCI follows suit. It is only a matter of time.

We did not order beer as we are not big beer drinkers. But, wellwishers prices on beer are better than the cruise line. So if you like beer, I would order some from them.

thank you...very informative. Ill probably call within the next couple of days! i will probably get a few things, though more for my friends who cannot buy onboard. They will still deliver it to us and let us have it if we have 2 ppl underage in the cabin, correct? i mean they have to...cuz that would be like them not giving an adult a bottle of alcohol or beer or whatever because they have a child staying in the room with them..same thing, right?

thank you...very informative. Ill probably call within the next couple of days! i will probably get a few things, though more for my friends who cannot buy onboard. They will still deliver it to us and let us have it if we have 2 ppl underage in the cabin, correct? i mean they have to...cuz that would be like them not giving an adult a bottle of alcohol or beer or whatever because they have a child staying in the room with them..same thing, right?

Yes, they will still deliver to you as long as someone in the stateroom is over 21.

try "just because of you" everything they do is custom, tell em brian from Dallas told you about em

But, do they deliver hard liquor as well? Well wisher delivers everything...not just wine and beer. That is why I used them. And they deliver to most major ports too.

How far in advance is it wise to order? We aren't traveling until January. Any suggestions?

I am also traveling in Jan, I suggest calling no later than 2 weeks before you sail. Please have all your information ready for either company you plan to use....Name, Port, ship name, and what your cabin number is. They will not be able to deliver without this information.

I would order it now, and here is why. When Carnival decided not to allow hard liquor to be delivered to the ship anymore, the pending orders that had already been placed were still allowed to be delivered. But it was stopped for all future orders. So, if you order now, and they decide to stop it in the future, you will still get your order. But if you are cruising in January, and they stop it next week and you have not placed your order yet, you will not get to.

We are cruising in January as well, and we have already placed our order.

The booze debate...Please don't bother responding if you are anti-booze smuggling or anti-alcohol... When I see people respond to this topic from up on their high-morality pedestal, the only thing that comes to my mind is "why do you bother reading posts about something you are not interested in and are so against?" The only answer to that question that I can come up with is that people who feel the need to feel morally superior on the booze question are probably in need of a good stiff one anyway...

With that out of the way... here is what I want to know:

we are planning to take some booze onboard our next cruise... we will still purchase a few drinks onboard.

So my questions are...

1. We are flying into port... do we pack it in checked luggage? Can you pack alcohol in a suitcase to board a plane? Or should we purchase once we land and on our way to port.

2. We are sailing Mariner out of Port Canaveral... any problems with putting it in our checked luggage?

3. If we decide to go the route of a gift basket company, which one is best and most likely to be able to deliver hard liquor (a little rum is all I'm asking for here) to our cabin?

How are you getting to the port? Are you taking RCCL transfers or rental car. If transfers, you won't be able to buy at Port Canaveral and will have to pack it in your checked luggage at home. If you're taking a rental, buy it in Port Canaveral before dropping the car off and put it in your checked luggage. Yes you can take alcohol on board a plane in your checked luggage. The only restriction the airline gave me was no more then 5 liters in any one bag.

I would definitely make sure you wrap it well taking it in your checked luggage, you know the TLC that the airlines and the cruise will give it. I have taken in the past a bottle of my favorite liquor. Don't go nuts and pack a fully stocked a bar to bring along with you though..

Wow - we posted almost the same question w/in a couple of minutes of each other. :p Great minds. I hope it's okay if I jump in on your thread; you chose a much catchier title! ;)

No plane questions as we're driving; however --- we're just wondering if we could get maybe two bottles and a 12-pack of soda on board the SOS leaving Post Canaveral? We wanted to carry on our bags but we could check one if the odds of success are better.

Any thoughts kind people??? :)

Wow - we posted almost the same question w/in a couple of minutes of each other. :p Great minds. I hope it's okay if I jump in on your thread; you chose a much catchier title! ;)

No plane questions as we're driving; however --- we're just wondering if we could get maybe two bottles and a 12-pack of soda on board the SOS leaving Post Canaveral? We wanted to carry on our bags but we could check one if the odds of success are better.

Any thoughts kind people??? :)

I just did the Mariner in October and there was no problem carrying water and soda on board (yes I carried it in a grocery sack and it was looked at by security with no questions). I put a 12 pack of beer in a checked bag and 1 liter for the DW in another checked bag.

and put it in your checked luggage. We just returned from AOS 11-12-06 and had no problems. We brought 1 case Bud, 2 bottles wine, 1 bottle Gentleman Jack and 12 canned cokes. Not one problem with flying or delivery to cabin. Make sure you put it in your checked luggage, not carryons. We saved the bubble wrap and packed liquor we bought on the cruise to return home with. Same deal, made it thru departure and return with flying with no problems. Also, you can buy liquor once you are in the airport to return home with. They actually put it in a nice carryon. Any liquor purchased pre airport has to be packed in checked luggage not in carryon.

steph... that is so funny... sure, feel free to jump in... the rum-flavored water is just fine...:D

we sailed Sovereign last February and loved it... I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did...

I'm planning to purchase plastic bottles... a lot of liquor stores carry your favorites in plastic bottles... then, I'm thinking... wrap the stuff in bubble wrap and bury it in the suitcase... I"ve even heard of people bringing on their own little blenders... that Magic Bullet you see on the infomercials looks like it would be the perfect size for packing...

I'll still buy my Whiskey Sours in the Schooner bar before dinner though... we had late seating for dinner and enjoyed a pre-dinner cocktail there each night... The waitress remembered us on the second night and we looked forward to seeing her each evening before dinner... she knew what we would be drinking and was really friendly... can't remember her name though... we tipped her nicely on the last night for the great service...

we will be doing the same....afterpaying for cruise who can afford another 200$ in bar! it is our first trip. I am glad we are not alone! are you posting on your roll calltoo? I hope so, so far there are only 3 posting on our Christmas cruise on this ship. - J

Straighten them folks out!

But, anyway, if you fly: If must be in your luggage. No more than a 3 oz container can be carried onboard.

When you check-in at Port, your luggage will be scanned. If a bag does not arrive at your cabin, they caught ya! You will then have to go retrieve your bag, open it, booze will be held until last night at sea.

It is MORALLY WRONG to risk broken glass and spilled alcohol, which could ruin not only the clothes in your suitcase, but also those of other passengers whose things end up traveling in the same cart with yours.

Please look for PLASTIC bottles at the liquor store. You can't get every name-brand, but there are plenty from which to choose. Sometimes they're sold as "travel bottles". I picked up a whole bunch of little individual bottles -- the type they use on airplanes -- all in plastic.

If you use plastic bottles, you don't have to worry about bubble wrap, etc.

The booze debate...Please don't bother responding if you are anti-booze smuggling or anti-alcohol... When I see people respond to this topic from up on their high-morality pedestal, the only thing that comes to my mind is "why do you bother reading posts about something you are not interested in and are so against?" The only answer to that question that I can come up with is that people who feel the need to feel morally superior on the booze question are probably in need of a good stiff one anyway...

With that out of the way... here is what I want to know:

we are planning to take some booze onboard our next cruise... we will still purchase a few drinks onboard.

So my questions are...

1. We are flying into port... do we pack it in checked luggage? Can you pack alcohol in a suitcase to board a plane? Or should we purchase once we land and on our way to port.

2. We are sailing Mariner out of Port Canaveral... any problems with putting it in our checked luggage?

3. If we decide to go the route of a gift basket company, which one is best and most likely to be able to deliver hard liquor (a little rum is all I'm asking for here) to our cabin?

We have had great success with this product.. http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/ just put in ziploc and wrap in bubble wrap...

When are you traveling the mariner??? we are going in Jan

I have put booze in my checked luggage. I bubble wrap it and double seal a meal it. The only thing is it weighs a lot so if it is possible buy it when you land and take the bubble wrap and plastic bags. The airlines only allow 50lbs and that goes fast. I have never had a problem sneaking it in my luggage. If they catch you oh well. I haven't heard to many people with that story. I have a owners suite on Liberty in july and am throwing a party so I hope to take alot of the booze.