Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

This will be our 3rd cruise and we always take our own stuff. We still buy some stuff from the cruise, but bringing your own helps with the costs. As for flying home with booze, hubby and I have always packed stuff in our suit cases and had them checked and have never had anything broken. The key is to pack them in a plastic bag and tightly around clothing or something that you don't mind getting anything on (in case of spilling) and pack them in the middle of your suit case around other stuff. If you pack them secure, the risk of breakage is very minimal. At least in my case it was. Again, three cruises and have never had anything broken. Last year we brought back 7 bottles. So what does that yell you? :D

This will be our 3rd cruise and we always take our own stuff. We still buy some stuff from the cruise, but bringing your own helps with the costs. As for flying home with booze, hubby and I have always packed stuff in our suit cases and had them checked and have never had anything broken. The key is to pack them in a plastic bag and tightly around clothing or something that you don't mind getting anything on (in case of spilling) and pack them in the middle of your suit case around other stuff. If you pack them secure, the risk of breakage is very minimal. At least in my case it was. Again, three cruises and have never had anything broken. Last year we brought back 7 bottles. So what does that yell you? :D

Exactly how I think! I plan on purchasing some drinks, but I can't afford to spend $100-$150 on drinks during the cruise. I'll be buying the beer and my girl can make her own this way.

Came off of a cruise 5 weeks ago, after dinner one of our suite case's had not arrived, our cabin person told us to go down to the purser's desk. They had our bag, the NEW xray machines they have will pick up liquid's. All we had was wine, and they made us pay $12.00 for the corking fee before they would let us have it. Sone had the hard stuff, and they could not get theres back until the last night of the cruise.

I'll at least try to sneak a couple of fifths on board. I HIGHLY doubt they will kick you off the ship. I'm fairly certain they will simply take them until the cruise is over, if anything.

Just don't come back after your cruise and whine that your booze was confiscated, or that you were left standing on the dock o' the bay...

You know the rules and ya takes yer chances...

LL

Came off of a cruise 5 weeks ago, after dinner one of our suite case's had not arrived, our cabin person told us to go down to the purser's desk. They had our bag, the NEW xray machines they have will pick up liquid's. All we had was wine, and they made us pay $12.00 for the corking fee before they would let us have it. Sone had the hard stuff, and they could not get theres back until the last night of the cruise.

I like to take some of my own wine aboard, so is still ok to take on board and just pay the corkage fee.:confused:

I usually just take it with my carry on and they usually don't charge the corkage fee till I take it to the dining room.

CuriousCat

I like to take some of my own wine aboard, so is still ok to take on board and just pay the corkage fee.:confused:

I usually just take it with my carry on and they usually don't charge the corkage fee till I take it to the dining room.

CuriousCat

The new rules state that you can not even bring a bottle of wine on board for a corkage fee. You are not suppose to bring anything. Some people might allow the wine, depending on who finds it. But if someone took the corkage fee upfront at security, I am inclined to think they kept the corkage fee.;)

We are just back from the Jewel of the Seas. It was a twelve day cruise. We drove to the ship and brought two medium size suitcases filled with soda (five six packs), beer (one case), a box of wine and two bottles of hard stuff. We were getting off of the Jewel and then onto the Caribbean Princess for seven days. We had no problem with either cruise line. Our suitcases were delivered with no questions asked. The porter did ask if we had packed a small child. We told him no, and tipped him double.

We still managed to rack up $2,000 worth of bills on these cruises, so the cruise lines are not losing too much money with us.

We asked our room steward for two ice buckets each day, as we all know how the refrigerator in the room don't really make things cold.

At the end of the second cruise we had two empty suitcases, so we were able to use this space to spread out our dirty clothes and not worry about going over the 50 pound weight limit.:) :)

I have read and read and I'm still not clear on the wine in our room issue. We plan to order the wine package for dinner once we board. I plan to order champagne to be in our room when we get there, from Gifts and Gear. Can I buy wine to keep in the cabin on board, or should I just order several bottles from Gifts and Gear ahead of time. We are not "smuggling" any. We are leaving on 12/9 on Radiance of Seas. Thanks...these boards are great!

After several weeks of planning we were tossed as to smuggle or basket. We Went basket, that way if it is not delivered you can protest witht the invoice and get a ship credit.

We just recently cruised with RCI and had a gift basket ordered from "Just Beceause Of You" is was a large gift basket with several bottles. The day beofre we sailed I called to confirm and was informed that there was a death in the family and they were cancelling all deliveries that weekend. Now, I do understand that emergencies happen, but to shut down a business that is suposed to be able to deliver to all US ports and leave us hanging was unexceptable!! Just Because of You could not even give us a referral. So, being the Friday after Thanksgiving I tried to call Well Wishers...they were closed. I didn't want to used them in the 1st place because they were really expensive. We found another company "Ocean Promotions" Kenny took our rush order on a holiday weekend and got our basket delivered to the ship before sailing the next day!! Everything was well packed and raised no questions from the crew and the prices were very resonable and no extra rush charge! I highly recommend him!! You can find them on the internet. Happy Cruising!

We brought on board 4 bottles of very special wine, in our checked luggage (we also brought other stuff...). We brought the first bottle to Portofino on the second night. They charged us $12 corkage and did not look shocked at all. In fact, many of the wait staff came over to look at the bottle (it was very old, and has been in our cellar for a long time). The supervisor came over and apologized that the bottle was not decanted for us, and that they did not give us large wine glasses for "such a fine bottle"... and we were nervous that we would get in trouble! haha

She asked us to bring the bottle earlier next time, so that they could properly prepare it for us. We did this when we went to Chops, and then again at Portofino a few days later. We were charged $10 corkage the next two times.

We brought the final bottle to the dining room on our last night. Our waitress didn't charge us corkage and was very pleased to serve us.

So... hope this helps others!