Island Princess

Splinter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Splinter and DesrtDrmr,

We have C627 for the Feb. 6 Panama on the Coral Princess, sister to the Island, which is right next to your C633, Desrt Drmr. I think you are going in April? I will also let you know when we get back what the room is like. I notice on the virtual, that the ramp is in line with the alleyway between bed and closets, which is a much better arrangement than on the Star where you had to ride around the end of the bed. The ramp also looks carpeted instead of steel surface, as it appears to be the same colour as the room carpet.

Hopefully it will also be longer and maybe Marion's scooter can get over it without building a special ramp like they did on the Star. But if not, I will get them to extend it or build another. They were certainly good about it on the Star.

Splinter, I hope you have good luck with this cruise. We have certainly loved Princess for 16 years now, but of course, we have never had to travel as a threesome, so you do have extra problems that need solving. We have found Princess to be excellent at getting Marion off and on the ships and even tenders over the years. I think you will find that your mother wll get good service.

Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our trip on the Island Princess (RT LA to Hawaii). We had cabin E505, which is non-balcony, obstructed view. It is very near the lovely library, and just down the hallway from the Internet Cafe area.

The bathroom was large, with a good roll-in shower. Controls accessible from the fold down seat. Had both wall mounted grab rails and one fold down one between the shower and toilet. The drains did not work well when the seas were rough...the bathroom was awash. There are only two tiny shelves in the bathroom. Be sure to take an over-door shoe bag for your supplies if you need much in the bathroom, esp. for 3 people. This cabin can accomodate 3 with either a roll-away (they do not offer this, you must ask) or a bunk for the 3rd person. Various configurations for the two beds are possible. Closet and drawer space was sufficient for 3. More than usual electrical outlets, ceiling light control from one bed position, but we still took our usual power bar for power wheelchair charger, digital camera battery charger, etc. TV viewable from all bed positions. See my photos of the cabin at Cruise Mates: Island Princess Accessible Cabin E505. http://www.cruisemates.com/mbindex/PGindex.cfm

The only access problems we found were heavy narrow doors from the outdoor pool area to the Horizon Court buffet (they really need automatic doors here!), and the landing on the grand staircase in the atrium which was used for many demonstrations (hair styling, flower arranging, sushi making and cooking, etc.). ABs sat on the steps, those unable to manage steps had to view from the balcony above (hard to see). As usual, the Princess Theater seating for wheelchairs sucks....way in the back, limited spaces, and poor lines of sight. All other seating is theater and totally inaccessible. We avoided going to this show room due to this. The Universe Lounge is much more accessible and you can sit pretty much anyplace on the lower floor. Some shows here, and most movies. No signs of the pool lift reportedly available in the Lotus pool.

At ports there was a ramped gangway on deck 4, those without disabilities used stairs on deck 5. Tendering was fairly easy with a wheelchair lift on-board and nearly level access to the tenders, which are all set up for wheelchairs (no tie-downs though...a little scary!).

Thanks, Splinter, for your review and photos. I was glad to see that you had a ladder to the bunk, and did not need a trampoline! :) It looks as if there was plenty of turn around room in the cabin. Thanks for the tip about bringing something to hang up for bathroom "stuff".

I hope you all had a wonderful time. I'm now off to read your report on shore excursions.

Archived